“very friendly place to stay”

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #54 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 9 October 2013

First and foremost, this is far one of the friendliest group of people working at this hotel. They went above and beyond our expectations. For a downtown big city hotel, the price was worth the stay. Everywhere we needed to go was in walking distance and the views from the hotels overlooking the canal were awesome. You have to pay for parking but it was cheaper than any other parking in the city. Breakfast is good. A lot of choices for a complimentary breakfast. The sausage was a little overcooked but overall the breakfast is worth the stay. The rooms are spacious and having a kitchen and living area made it a comfortable stay. The front staff was very helpful, I was there for a conference and they allowed me to leave my car there for the day after I checked out because the conference ran past the checkout time. I would recommend this hotel as a first choice in downtown Indy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank datailes
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

I am so pleased to read that you consider our hotel to be one of the friendliest groups of people you've encountered. Though I agree that our rooms, breakfast, and location are worth the stay, our staff is the driving force that makes our hotel exceptional. I hope that you will allow us to welcome you back to Indianapolis, and please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I would be happy to book your reservations myself!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Residence Inn Indianapolis is located close to many Indianapolis downtown attractions such as museums, Colt's stadium and shopping. The staff is well-trained and friendly. Our room was spacious and clean with a kitchen and roomy work area. Morning buffet was good with fresh options such as fruit and yogurt. Front desk staff was accommodating and personable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Weeniedog51

Thank you so much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and hope you got a chance to experience the beauty of the Indianapolis canal right outside our doors as well! I am also ecstatic to hear you enjoyed the cleanliness of your room, and of course, our staff service as it is near and dear to my heart. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and thank you for visiting us in Indianapolis!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here for quite a few weeks in March/April of 2013 as part of a project team and can tell you that while the facilities and rooms are great, it's the staff that really make this place stand out. Cherie at the front desk is a gem and Marriott would do well to clone her and place her in all their properties. She displays her customer service excellence in everything she does and everyone she interacts with regardless of who you are. The rooms are updated and decorated in the new style I like. I had a studio with a large desk workspace that faced the canal and it was perfect for me. Hot water was plentiful with good water pressure. Kitchen facilities in rooms were great and room was always cleaned well every day. Breakfast area is smaller than it should be for a property this size and it got a little crowded down there with people at certain rush hour times in the mornings but they make killer sausage,egg & cheese breakfast sandwiches though. Evening social events were good and food was plentiful along with drinks. Katie the manager handled a chronic internet issue they had very quickly and kept us updated until it was resolved which I appreciated. Pool and gym were great and clean. The only thing I would say is that the cost of parking was the only downside to this property as it shared a parking lot with a Courtyard hotel and so you had to use these swipe cards to get into/out of parking lot. I wasn't planning for that cost on top of the room but it is in downtown so I should have expected it. Overall I would stay here again for sure and highly recommend it for travellers of all types.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from people walking along canal.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much- I am absolutely floored by your thorough and appreciative review. From the room, to the cleaning service, to service recovery regarding internet, to food choices and cleaning service, you seemed to cover it all. And trust me, I am absolutely looking into where I can get 100 more of Cherie. She is incredible!

It's always especially gratifying to read a glowing review based upon extended stay. You certainly had time to form an opinion, and I am thrilled that we earned your praise. I genuinely hope to welcome you back to Indianapolis in the (near) future, and again, thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a nice Hotel. The staff was more than friendly. The breakfast buffet was very good. BUT, a few problems. The hotel is not within walking distance(for most people) to the center of downtown if that is important to you. The tv remote wasn't working correctly so we were using the buttons on the tv itself to try to use the menu. I was trying to hook my computer up to the pc port on the back of the computer and it wouldn't work. I called the front desk, but they didn't know why. The tv also had lines and static across the screen of the channel menu so it was hard to see the menu on the screen. Obviously there was a problem with the tv. For the money I spent on the room I think the tv should work right. It was late at night and we were on a much needed date night away from home. Kind of a bummer not to be able to use the tv. I would have had them bring another tv, but that seemed like a lot of trouble and stress for date night. The toilet wasn't flushing well either. Paper still in the toilet after flushing it a couple times. The mattress was as hard as a rock!! I ended up on the couch in the middle of the night. So much for snuggling up to my husband. We were on the first floor and the people above us must have had a pack of kids. It sounded like they were playing basketball above us. Disappointed for the money we spent.:-( Would not return there.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor unless you want to hear everything above you. Make sure you get a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

First of all, thank you providing your feedback as it is absolutely vital to our continuous improvement. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast, and mostly, our staff service as I firmly believe that our staff is the heart of the hotel experience. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for any and all disappointments faced during your stay. It sounds as though there were several circumstances that lead to frustrating moments during your date night. The ability to sleep, work, and play are the foundations for a successful stay, and I am beyond disheartened to hear that this was not the case for you.

It is worth noting to future guests that our hotel is about a five minute walk to the circle, depending of course on pace (and how cute your shoes are!), though our staff is always happy to call a cab for guests which is only a $5 flat rate throughout downtown. Our engineering team works daily in order to ensure all aspects of the hotel are maintained and is happy to react to any issues if preventative measures are not enough.

Regardless, it is our goal that each and every guest experiences a perfect stay. Please contact me directly for further discussion, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Indianapolis in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This hotel exemplifies the idea of hospitality - the concept of taking excellent care of your guests. Cherie (at the front desk) went above and beyond to be friendly and helpful. She gave us the lowdown on good places to eat within walking distance, offered menus for the different restaurants, made coffee late in the afternoon so we'd have fresh coffee and made us feel like we were visiting friends or family! I had booked 3 rooms for 2 nights for 7 members of my family who were attending a wedding in the area. I chose this hotel because of the location on the canal that offered outdoor activities and because of the great reviews (they're all true!!!).
My husband and I stayed in room 9, a waterview studio and really enjoyed watching the ducks and all the people on paddleboats and kayaks. The rest of our party had cityviews and loved their rooms too! The rooms are so well equipped with fully functional kitchens. I'm always a little nervous when I make the travel arrangements for a larger group but everyone loved this hotel. Book with confidence - this is a great place to stay and play.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, and I cannot wait to share the phrase, "This hotel exemplifies the idea of hospitality" with our associates. Providing world-class service is always our goal, and it sounds as if Cherie and staff made an impact on your visit to Indianapolis. I hope that you will be back to visit us shortly, and again, thank you for writing such a meaningful review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We absolutely loved staying at the Inn. The Canal location was a better than we imagined. Room was great with kitchenette, very clean. Staff was so helpful in giving us advice on where to eat and go. We did the package with zoo tickets and it was a big plus. Everything was within walking distance!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for such a glowing review of our hotel. It warms my heart to read that you enjoyed the location, suites, cleanliness, breakfast, and staff service during your stay. Our zoo package is certainly a popular option during the summer and fall as we are only a short walk down the scenic Indianapolis Canal! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with future reservations, and again, thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We only planned an overnight stay @ this location & regret not allowing more time in this city. The hotel staff was so accommodating & so nice it would be worth a return visit just for that! This location is amazing, the rooms are modern & spacious & so clean! Would HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2013

I could not be more delighted to read your review. If your only disappointment was that it was too short a visit, it sounds like we provided exactly the type of stay for which we strive. Please contact me directly if you plan on returning to Indianapolis as I would be happy to book a future reservation myself and thank you so much for writing a review on TripAdvisor!