Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #54 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Everything was great at this hotel! The staff was amazing, they were almost overly helpful! They booked my dinner reservations, gave me a map of downtown and showed me everything there was to do within walking distance. The manager even called another Marriott (on the same property) and found me some super glue when I had broken flip flop! If I were driving I would have been a little ticked about the $12/day parking. The free breakfast was so good, it was worth paying for. Other than the parking, my room 108 was right next to the alternate exit and the door slammed all night, I am sure if I would have complained that they would have moved me. I can't say enough good things about this hotel! The best thing is, I named my own price on Priceline and got it for $40/night!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 August 2009

I stayed here as because of the central location in Indianapolis. The rooms had nice kitchenettes and full size refigerators. The bed was very comfortable and the living room large enough for the three days I was there. The breakfast was up to par with scambled eggs and sausage, fruit, cereal, and yogurt, although these and everything else needed to be replenished more often than it was. If Ihad been on a time crunch, 15 minutes or more to refresh the station items would have been too long for me. The hotel also had a nice pool although small, but a good size jacuzzi. There was also a pool table in the basement. The hotel is right along the canal and a short walk to rent the paddleboats. Some people brought their dogs because the hotel accepts pets for a fee.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Checked in yesterday and without exception every member of the staff we've encountered has been cheerful, professional and very helpful. The building itself is a little tired (and yes, balconies would have been a great idea), but the rooms are clean and quiet and you can't beat the location. The staff at the front desk has been kept hopping (LOTS of families here this week-end), but we've never had to wait too long for assistance. I'd absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the Canal Walk

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We found the front desk staff to be amazingly friendly; they greeted us whenever we returned to the hotel. The breakfast staff was equally friendly - one even offered to make a waffle for our teenager who was stil sleeping. Several museums were within walking distance. Our key card allowed a discount at Buca di beppo, which served massive quantities of Italian food. A couple could easily split a salad and entree and have food to bring back to the hotel to put in the fridge. This would be a great place for a family get together as there is a large common room on the lower level, canal side, which has a game table and a large seating area. We found the hot tub relaxing, with not too many chemicals. We will return, bringing family.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2008

The location is nice. On the Canal, in the city, but not right in the center of the busy part. The room was decent. We were given the wrong size bed but did not complain. A bit over priced, but I think the whole city was.
The pool and hot tube were closed duting my stay which was the biggest upset. Something I looked forward to, relaxing after a long day of traveling around.
They told us to go across the parking lot to the other Marriott, not convenient at all, especially in the rain and defeats the point of relaxing. We went anyway & the front desk laughed!
Breakfast was the best part! The really put out a spread!
Sucked to pay extra for parking ...

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 29 August 2008

I have stayed at many Residence Inns and usually love the chain. This one is terrible. The hotel needs updating and a very deep cleaning. Or better yet they should tear it down and start over. Our room was very very dirty. At first I thought that they gave us the wrong room and maybe the one they gave us had not been cleaned yet. Too many problems to name but trust me, do not stay here. There are plenty of nicer hotels in the same price range or other very nice Residence Inns not far from downtown. I can not figure out how this one is still in business.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank dc4168
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Although it has been almost 4 years since this review was posted, it's rating still affects current stay perception and the guest is still entitled to my sincere apologies. Our property underwent a $2,000,000 renovation earlier this year and has consistently ranked within the top 10-15% of the brand in many areas including housekeeping, arrival experience, and problem solution. I invite the writer of this post to contact me directly to discuss a future stay. I firmly believe in our hotel and our staff, and feel that one stay will exceed any expectations he or she might have. Thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Katherine Boehner

Front Office Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott, Indianapolis on the Canal
317.822.0840
Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Reviewed 12 August 2008

My family stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown Indianapolis in July to attend Drum Corps events for several days.

The hotel property is on the edge of downtown. It is close enough to walk just about everywhere - 6 blocks to the mall, 6 blocks to the Convention Center, 8 blocks to the new football stadium. Walking seemed safe enough, although I was surprised how many panhandlers are in Indianapolis - probably 2-4 per block right downtown.

The hotel itself is a pretty standard Residence Inn. Our room did show some wear and tear in the kitchen and bath but was pretty clean. Breakfast service was fine, the indoor pool and exercise rooms were small but adequate. Guest laundry worked well and the front desk supplies detergent free of charge.

There were a few negatives - very slow elevators, spotty Wi-Fi service and a fair amount of noise from the parking lot. The hotel also charges about $15 per night for surface parking - in my mind, a bit high for Indianapolis.

Is it the best property in Indy? No, but it was convenient and provided everything we needed downtown. We stayed on points, but I'd feel OK paying up to about $130 a night.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family