“Great Night's Sleep; Convenient for Downtown Events”

Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol
Ranked #38 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at this property for the Big 10 football championship. Parking is in a gated lot which is shared with the Marriott Residence Inn across the parking lot. Front desk service was very friendly; he was apologetic that an upgrade was unavailable due to sold out status. For a sold out hotel, the room was very quiet and I had a wonderful night's sleep. Having stayed in downtown Indy before, I noted that these two Marriott properties were on the other side of the Capitol building from downtown and the other downtown hotels. After walking multiple times between this Courtyard and the downtown shopping, restaurants and Lucas Oil Stadium, it appears to me that the capitol/governmental buildings are a bit of a dividing line between the "hopping" part of downtown Indy, and a less busy area that seemed to me to be the "other side of the tracks". I had my guard up a bit more as I got closer to the hotel area, but in no way would I consider it a run down or bad area, just a bit more desolate and quiet.

I did not have the opportunity to eat at the hotel's Bistro, but the dining area was spacious with an adjacent sitting area complete with big screen TV. Regrettably did not have time to utilized indoor pool/jacuzzi, but appeared very nice. A very nice property, just know where you're going if you head out by foot.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Hello,

Thanks so much for your positive review on the Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us. Although we are a bit further that some other downtown hotels, our property is still in walking distance to many attractions such as the Indianapolis Zoo, Massachusetts Avenue, and much more. The next time you come to Indy I hope you can come back and check out our Bistro as well as our pool area (open 6a-11p every day). Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance making reservations.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at the Marriott on Dec 3rd, 2013 in Room 214. It was a nice room, but when I woke up in the morning and took a shower, I noticed a splotchy rash on my arm. Thought it was an allergic reaction or something. Later in the day the welts from bites became obvious. I called the Marriott management right away so that they could take steps to control this, but they were quite disinterested. They sent for a pest inspector, and called me to say that the room was clean. There is nowhere else I could have gotten these things. Corporate Marriott management responded with the same disinterest. Evidently the victim must supply proof of infestation, and pictures are not enough. I wonder what is.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Roderick K
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Roderick,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. Regarding the cleanliness concern in room 214, we did bring out our professional partners to do a thorough inspection on that room after you contacted our hotel and they did find no pests whatsoever. As always we do appreciate your feedback and if you have any further concerns please feel free to contact me directly. I hope to welcome you back to our property in the future.

317-405-6233- direct line

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This Courtyard by Marriott is in a great location. It is walking distance to everything, but do so before sunset. The neighborhoods around the hotel are dicey. The hotel is safe and very clean. It is extremely contemporary. You are greeted by a very nice and friendly front desk staff. They are very efficient in the check-in process. They bend over backwards to make you feel welcome. The rooms are HUGE and quiet. I had Wi-Fi connection without a problem. The Bistro has every affordable food, which is freshly made. You can't do any better than his hotel in downtown Indianapolis without spending twice the rate. You must consider this hotel during your next trip to Indianapolis.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Mr. Barnhart,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Courtyard by Marriott Indianapolis at the Capitol on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your stay with us. Regarding the area of downtown that we are located-- if you ever are feeling uncomfortable to walk somewhere and prefer not to drive we would be more than happy to arrange a taxi for you. Taxi cabs in the downtown area are $5.00 (may add an additional person fee) but they are very reasonable and quick. I certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My first impressions of this hotel were good. Location to downtown, modern and clean. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I arrived late and had a busy business day the next day, I thought I’d be in high speed low drag mode and could wind down fast after a late travel day.

I needed to VPN into my work and check on some stuff. This hotel’s wi-fi was pathetic – took FOREVER to load a homepage. Second it would not allow any searches – went to an error page. Only if you type the address into the bar and would it take you to your website. So if you don’t know a specific website and need to do a search – it was hopeless. VPN into my work was also hopeless. Since I use a specific program to VPN I could not use their lobby PCs. I did go and use those, at least I could check my personal email, which was hopeless in my room due to this hotel’s pathetic wi-fi. The lobby’s PCs were just as slow and useless. So this hotel’s entire internet access for guests is – well very sorry. I was very frustrated. For what should have only taken me 20 minutes to check on took me 1.5 hours. And only then it was b/c it was shortly after midnight and I tried one more time to VPN and I finally got a connection. Still, I should have been asleep (or at least in bed) by midnight. So maybe this hotel has a certain bandwidth use, and after it’s used any users afterward are just out of luck. I have stayed and 1 star or no star hotels w/ flawless wi-fi so maybe this one intends to charge for any decent connection.

Then after a brief nap-I go to check for breakfast and it’s a pay for your breakfast sandwich. Pricier than it should have been for what it was. A continental breakfast would have been just fine given my needs.

$19.00 a night for parking seemed steep to me as well. I am unfamiliar with Indianapolis parking culture though.

I don’t know if I would stay here again. I need wi-fi to work as expected and flawlessly, unless there’s a catastrophe. Breakfast option was a dinger IMO too. Other than those two – nice hotel and friendly staff. Though they can do nothing about pathetic wi-fi when your there and need it in 5 minutes – the wi-fi decision probably comes from high level management –IMO.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Greetings,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor.com. I'm very sorry to hear that you experienced poor internet service during your visit to our hotel. Please let us know if you are experiencing any difficulty and we are always more than happy to assist. Our parking cost is $19 per night, but out of all of the Indianapolis downtown hotels we are actually the least expensive when it comes to parking. Again, I am very sorry that we were unable to meet your needs during your recent visit. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is the 2nd time that I have stayed there in 2 months (just returned last night). Indy is a huge convention town and the downtown area is vibrant and always full of folks. This hotel is very walkable to the downtown district and is located by the capitol and other govt. bldgs. (hence the name). It is a quiet hotel and a smaller Marriott property but everyone there is just so nice and goes out of their way to help you. The best part of this is that there are a couple of cab companies in the area that offer $5 rides to downtown if you do not want to make that walk. I am female and walk most of the time from the hotel to downtown and feel safe in doing that both in the AM and PM (after 8). There are a ton of restaurants and Lucas Oil where the Colts play all within easy walking. Enjoy.

Room Tip: UPPER LEVEL and on the back side of the hotel that faces a parking lot..............
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Cynthia,

Thanks for taking the time to write a positive review on our hotel. It sounds like you had some nice visits to our property and I am so glad to hear that. If you frequently travel to Indianapolis, please feel free and contact me directly to make reservations. Thanks again for writing about the Courtyard at the Capitol!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed here a month or so ago for a convention. Indianapolis is a great city for a convention. This hotel is a bit further from the convention center than most, but not at all too far. It is about a half to three-quarter mile walk to the convention center that you can actually cut a bit short by walking through the Sky Bridge at the Westin. Your walk is kind of cool too, as most is through the Indianapolis Capitol grounds. The hotel has been modernized. Although I didn't request it, I had a room on a lower floor and had the room that was as close to the breakfast/bistro area as you could get. It also backed right up to a major street. When I checked in, I thought noise would be an issue given those items. But, it wasn't at all. Noise was never an issue on any of the 3 nights I was there which spanned Thursday through Saturday. The only downside to this hotel are the food options. The bistro they have there is extremely limited in options. I'm used to other Courtyards having a light buffet or more choices particularly for breakfast. The quality was OK, as expected. Additionally, there are no food options that are in close walking distance. You can walk 0.5 miles or so to grab food and drink. But that's even a bit far if you're looking for a quick bite and don't have a car (which I didn't). There is a bar across the street that's pretty divey. They serve food but the quality was average to below average at best. It was a good place to have a drink and watch a game though.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hello,

Thank you for reviewing the Courtyard by Marriott Indianapolis at the Capitol. It sounds like you really enjoyed your guest room while you were with us, and I am so happy to hear that. I'm sorry that we were't able to exceed your expectations in the Bistro. Every couple of months we do refresh our seasonal items. Perhaps next time you visit you may find an item on the seasonal menu that you will love! Thanks again for your positive review on our hotel. If you ever need assistance making reservations, please feel free and contact me directly.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel! Very clean, modern and in an easily accessible part of the city. Jason provided us with FANTASTIC service throughout the duration of our stay. Hotel is within walking distance to great food, bars and Lucas Oil Stadium.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Greetings,

Wow! It sounds like you had a very nice visit to our hotel. Thank you so much for your positive review! I will absolutely pass along the message regarding Jason's service during your stay. He is truly a star and an asset to the Courtyard Capitol team. Thanks again for reviewing the Courtyard Indy Capitol on Trip Advisor!