“Nice people, comfortable room”

Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol
Ranked #53 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice people, comfortable room”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've been living at this hotel for over a month now between Mondays and Fridays for work. I have to say its a great place to stay. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff knows my name and greets me every day, and the hotel is located in a good area to get anywhere you need to go really. I also have to say that one of their employees, Jack, who runs the kitchen, has guided my team and I to some of the bet restaurants I've been to. He really knew his stuff and I was never disappointed. But everyone is really nice and easy going. Jason up front is great too. He hopped in the kitchen and made me a coffee my first day here, despite it being a closed, because he realized my flight was delayed and, as he put it, "...you earned it."

Room Tip: I'd stay on the top floors. It's nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here this past weekend with my swimmer-son for a meet at IUPUI. It would be a very easy walk to the pool, were it not for the frigid weather. Clean, quiet room, although someone had messed with the heating/ac unit and it was ignoring the thermostat. Facilities came up right away and improved it. BTW, our room was on Senate, no problem sleeping.

The bistro (n.b. there is not free breakfast here) had a decent enough menu, but was overwhelmed when we tried to eat at about 8:45 PM. Staffing issues?

Overall, I was made to feel like an important guest, so if you like good service, this is a very good choice. In fact, I made a reservation to stay here again in March.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Annie M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, and will be returning in March. I am sorry that our dinner service in the bistro was unable to meet your needs. I appreciate the feedback as we are always seeking to improve. If you need assistance with your reservations, please feel free and contact me directly. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our property.

Indy
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Not the first time staying here' but it was the best. Jason at the front desk was awesome! Helped me with the reservation that I had mistakenly made for the following night. Got a nice room upgrade and breakfast vouchers.Jason even got my next night reserved, on N.Y.E. even. This is why I always come back to Marriott! Also, have some pub grub at Bourbon Street across the street. Fantastic!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Annie M, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Hello Brad,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with our hotel. Also, thank you for the nice note about Jason. He is an asset to our team-- I will be sure to pass on your comments to him. When your travels bring you back to Indy in the future, please feel free to contact me directly for assistance making reservations.

Brandon, Florida
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Positive 1. This Courtyard was very close to downtown.
Positive 2: I was given a suite which was also nice.
Positive 3: The staff was great.
Positive 4: Even though this is an older building you could tell it had been recently renovated so everything was very clean.
Downside: My room faced Senate Street which was very noisy. There are a number of hospitals nearby so I was awoken by sirens 4 times during the night and there is a lot of traffic on this road. If I was staying any longer than a couple nights I would have requested a different room.
If you do stay here request a room on the parking lot side of the hotel so you can get some rest.

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking lot side will be quieter.(West)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Brandon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with at our property. It sounds like we were able to meet and exceed your clean and friendly expectations, but I am sorry that the street noise kept you up all night. We do appreciate your feedback very much, Thanks again for reviewing our hotel, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days/nights this December. Our room was very comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated in an updated theme. The bathroom was very large, with safety bars on the walls in the bath; our room was one of several available, designed for people with disabilities. Hotel staff were very polite, helpful, and efficient. You can order a hot breakfast or a variety of other items at the dining area in the lobby; the fresh fruit was indeed fresh.

We left our car in the hotel lot and walked or taxied where ever we wanted to go. It's about 5 blocks from the Courtyard Marriott to the JW Marriott, where our convention was located, and another 3-4 blocks from there to the dining and shopping district downtown. A nice walk, if the weather's good and you want some fresh air.

Green Features: Like many hotels these days, the Courtyard Marriott will change bath linens upon request or that are left on the bathroom floor, otherwise the towels etc. are reused. Fine with us, as the number of towels was more than enough for two adults.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Greetings Ms. Zemper,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a chance to utilize our Courtyard Bistro. The Bistro has many healthy choices available from 6:30a-9:30 weekdays (7a-10a weekends) for breakfast and 5p-10p every night for dinner. If your travels bring you back to Indianapolis in the future I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again!

Warmest regards,

michigan
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at this property for the Big 10 football championship. Parking is in a gated lot which is shared with the Marriott Residence Inn across the parking lot. Front desk service was very friendly; he was apologetic that an upgrade was unavailable due to sold out status. For a sold out hotel, the room was very quiet and I had a wonderful night's sleep. Having stayed in downtown Indy before, I noted that these two Marriott properties were on the other side of the Capitol building from downtown and the other downtown hotels. After walking multiple times between this Courtyard and the downtown shopping, restaurants and Lucas Oil Stadium, it appears to me that the capitol/governmental buildings are a bit of a dividing line between the "hopping" part of downtown Indy, and a less busy area that seemed to me to be the "other side of the tracks". I had my guard up a bit more as I got closer to the hotel area, but in no way would I consider it a run down or bad area, just a bit more desolate and quiet.

I did not have the opportunity to eat at the hotel's Bistro, but the dining area was spacious with an adjacent sitting area complete with big screen TV. Regrettably did not have time to utilized indoor pool/jacuzzi, but appeared very nice. A very nice property, just know where you're going if you head out by foot.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Hello,

Thanks so much for your positive review on the Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol. We are so happy you enjoyed your visit with us. Although we are a bit further that some other downtown hotels, our property is still in walking distance to many attractions such as the Indianapolis Zoo, Massachusetts Avenue, and much more. The next time you come to Indy I hope you can come back and check out our Bistro as well as our pool area (open 6a-11p every day). Please feel free to contact me directly for any assistance making reservations.

Grantsburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at the Marriott on Dec 3rd, 2013 in Room 214. It was a nice room, but when I woke up in the morning and took a shower, I noticed a splotchy rash on my arm. Thought it was an allergic reaction or something. Later in the day the welts from bites became obvious. I called the Marriott management right away so that they could take steps to control this, but they were quite disinterested. They sent for a pest inspector, and called me to say that the room was clean. There is nowhere else I could have gotten these things. Corporate Marriott management responded with the same disinterest. Evidently the victim must supply proof of infestation, and pictures are not enough. I wonder what is.....

2 Thank Roderick K
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Roderick,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us. Regarding the cleanliness concern in room 214, we did bring out our professional partners to do a thorough inspection on that room after you contacted our hotel and they did find no pests whatsoever. As always we do appreciate your feedback and if you have any further concerns please feel free to contact me directly. I hope to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Warmest regards,