“Lovely lunch”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was great to return to the Hare and Hounds for lunch after it being one of my college day haunts 40 years ago. The food was great and the staff excellent. Good platters to share as starters and Sunday roasts to follow.
Brill - thank you

1  Thank ShropshireAnne_Mick
HareandHoundsBeds, Manager at The Hare and Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We're all thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit on one of our busiest days yet!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went to this pub as it was mentioned in a pub guide only to discover that it had changed hands. The staff were friendly but all seemed young and inexperienced. I ordered a large glass of wine but was given a smaller one. (Only a smaller one was charged on the bill.). My pork dish was very overcooked and dry, my husband's fish dish was acceptable. No one came to check if we were happy with the food; the plates were cleared; we weren't offered a dessert menu so went into the bar to pay.

We hold our hands up, we failed to meet the high standards that we pride ourselves on during your visit. We are currently recruiting new staff and are working hard to train them to the standards we expect. Your visit was during the busiest weekend we've had yet and as a result it seems we stumbled. We would love the opportunity to talk to you further & make amends. Please email hareandhoundsltd@gmail.com & we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We haven't been to the H&H for getting on a year but heard recently it had changed hands. We always used to like this place. The food was always of good standard,l if a little pricey. The wife and I decided to go with a friend yesterday lunchtime, and the first thing that stood out was the customer service which is second to none. Also, the place has been spruced up and is more welcoming than ever before. I will have to give only two stars for the food however. My wife and my friend ordered the club Chicken sandwich and I ordered the Bacon, Brie and Cranberry sandwich. I specifically asked for the bacon to be very crispy. This must have fallen on deaf ears however as the bacon turned up hardly cooked at all, which meant I spent the first few minutes dissecting the bacon before I could eat (I had a bad experience with bacon fat when I was young, so always have to have mine crispy). Secondly, the sandwich itself wasn't toasted. Even slightly. The side salad was gone in one bite, and the fries were adequate. My wife and friend seemed OK with theirs, but the chicken came as a whole breast, which made it difficult to eat (why not slice it?). I realise this is the lunchtime menu and it's hard to judge a restaurant on just a sandwich. I would like to return in the evening and have a proper meal before I write a full review, but I hope it's going to be an improvement.

2  Thank Riggsy1968
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We always make a beeline for The H&H when we are back in the area. Over the years the food started to decline, but we're pleased to say that it is totally back on form. The service has always been consistently good. Not a drastic change to the decor, the same good tartan covered furniture.

My steak was cooked to perfection, very tasty and tender. The Roast Beef was nicely medium rare, yorkshire and roast potatoes were great too. I had the cheese board, it was very generous portion of cheese, in comparison to the norm at other restaurants.

We were there for Sunday lunch, it was very busy inside and out, so service got a little slower towards the end of the meal/paying the bill.

We will enthusiastically come back to The H&H when we are next in the area.

Well done to the new owners!

1  Thank cedar29
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This pub/restaurant is superb, we live 50 miles away and travelled to eat in the pub as we had eaten there before but this time it was even better(new owners) and we stayed in a fab B&B next door. The choice of menu is good and varied and me and my partner had three different courses which were all very tasty and cooked to perfection, we have no hesitation in going back and eating and staying next door as it is that good