“Don't allow your family to stay here”
Review of Astoria Inn

Astoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knox
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I reserved 6 rooms at this hotel for my family from out of state to stay at while here during my kids graduation. I had several calls in the nights they stayed here due to saftey issues. The first call came on day one with my brother saying there were no batteries in the smoke detectors and that the latch on the door was broken so that his two year old could get out. When he asked for it to be fixed they did fix it but we later found out that all the door latches were the same. Everyone was told there were no batteries for the smoke detectors and that they didnt have anything to worry about. Day two came with the dirty towels being left in the room after it was cleaned. When asking for more towels they were told the others were stained. The cost of the rooms kept changeing and family members with the same exact room were all paying a different price. None of them were the price listed on the sign. The pool we were told was open when we reserved but when they went to swim were told the pool not working. Everyone was disappointed when they woke in the morning to find no continental breakfast. We were told the sign was from the old place. I can tell you that according to the chamber of commerece this is the same name and hotel as it was when it was first built. the next thing that happened was one of my guest took thekids back to hotel to sleep and when they turned on the tv it began to smoke. The only thing they did was move them to a different room. During the move they were told the hotel had no insurance and that they had lost another hotel that had no insurance. they also stated the elevator has not been inspected since 2007. I felt really bad letting my family stay in a place like this and will never recommend this place to anyone not even my dog. As far as I am concerned they are liers and thiefs of peoples hard working money. DON'T STAY HERE. DRIVE THE EXTRA MILES AND BE SAFE. IF YOU DO STAY HERE BRING YOUR OWN TOILET PAPER. AND BATTERIES/ NO ROOMS HAVE ANY.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 June 2009

Drove in 12 hours for a graduation. Very dissatisfied with every part of this hotel. (hell hole). saft door latch broken, no smoke detector battery, no clock,dirt sheets,hair in shower, small amount of toilet paper had to go by own. two towels in room when asked for more towels they had no clean ones. told pool worked when making reservations, but after check in pool was broke. no breakfast like the say was told that was a old sign and they have not had a chance to take it down. do not use elevator it has not been inspected since 2007. half the t.v. channels did not work. vending machines out dated food and pretty much empty and did not want to take a chance on the pop. and another guest in our part thier t.v. started to smoke. danger do not stop go the distance to a better hotel. this is the [--] hotel (hole in the wall) that i have ever stayed in. this place should be shut down before some one gets hurt or possibly killed. the owner should be ashamed to have this place open and take peoples money for a hotel that should charge $20.00 a night. and watch out for the starke county tourism tax. what a laugh.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Absolutely terrible ... Dirty, smelly!! The towels are stained, the sheets are stained, the walls have filth all over them, the bathrooms are moldy .. stay away!!!
I have to do business right in Knox, but drive an extra 20 miles just to avoid having to stay at this Rat infested hell hole.
On top of that .. I was quoted 39.00 a night and charged $79.00
100% GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2008

This has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. No continental breakfast like the sign advertised. Half a roll of toilet paper to use in the room!!! Lack of towels, no clock, etc......
Very bad management. Sleep in your car if you have to!!!

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank knob123
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I am a Knox resident and have stayed here. The rooms are overpriced and run down along with false advertising of a continental breakfast, also the indoor pool is rarely opened and always cold. I have stayed at many motels over the years thru my line of work and feel the public should be advised of this motel,

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ez_go_n_Knox_Indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed at this motel for a family getaway and were very disappointed at every turn. When we arrived in the evening to check in, there was no one at the desk. The place looked abandoned. Finally, someone showed up and checked us in. We booked two rooms and were given adjoining rooms on the second floor. Upon entering our rooms, we found the following problems:
Room #1: No battery in smoke detector. Connecting door was missing a lock making it possible to see in from the next room. Stained linens in the bathroom.
Room #2: Piece missing from the security latch on the hallway door, allowing our child to leave the room. Stained sheets so thin that you could actually watch TV through them. Actual soil on toilet seat.
Other problems: The very small pool was not open during our whole stay. The vending machine had expired food. There were no clocks in the rooms. When checking out, the front desk clerk was rude.
Positives include: The beds were comfortable. The carpets were vacuumed. The ice machine worked.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank iblaine
Reviewed 14 July 2008

My stay at the Astoria Inn was horrible. I recently stayed there for a two night stay with my family for a reunion. The stay was shoty to say the least. We had no radio/clock in our room, no hair dryer, the pool was closed for most of our stay and when it was opened the heater was turned off making the pool unenjoyable since it was to cold to enjoy. Plus there was a door to the mechanical room in the pool open. And not to mention that the soap bar in the room was from the Alabama Parks and Rec and the ice box and tray were from the Rodeway Inn. There was also an electrical outlets on the third floor that did not have face plates and these outlets were out in the hall were children could easily access them. And there was no conteniental breakfast which was advertised. I do not recommend this hotel at all and we will not be staying here ever again.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank charmed029

Been to Astoria Inn? Share your experiences!