“At least wash the windows”

Garden Inn and Suites
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Kokomo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The outside of the building should have been our first clue that things were not kept up. The windows in the lobby and rooms were horrible. We opened the drapes and had cob webs in the window. The bathroom shower curtain was moldy. It was just an overnight stay so we weren't in the room more than 6 hours. Not impressed!

Room Tip: Remember you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Garden Inn and Suites

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The clue should have been no cars in the parking lot. This place was supposedly under renovation. I was here on business, and I completed the job early. The hotel had taken the payment when I checked in, which is not a normal policy. When I informed them I was leaving early, they said OK. I asked how to get the refund on the two rooms for the night and they said NO REFUNDS. No where on the paperwork did it state this, nor was it verbally stated on check in. This is a policy I will not fail to ask about again. The money they are getting certainly is not going into improving quality at this hotel. Lesson learned.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank HelenWildermuth
Reviewed 29 June 2014

THIS PLACE AND STAFF ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!
My husband and I stay in hotels very frequently and we are not above staying in a lower star hotel. This place should be shut down!! I don't even know where to start!. I just read someone's review from July of 2013 saying the pool area was under construction for over a year when they stayed there (extremely unhappy as well). It is now June of 2014 and there is still a note on the door saying it is under construction! We booked this hotel through Priceline ahead of time and when we got to the hotel they insisted we never paid for it even though the money had already been taken out of our account. Then we had to pay cash on the spot. We were so tired from traveling that we just decided to pay cash and work out the credit card issue later. This was before we saw the room. DISGUSTING!! FILTHY! They claimed it was a non smoking facility but I actually woke up from sleeping in the middle of the night because it smell like someone was smoking right in our room. The bed was awful! Hard, there was not even a fitted sheet on the bed and the comforter had stains on it. The Bathroom towels smelled horrible and were crunchy! After washing my face for bed I dried it with one of my own t-shirts just so I didn't have to put their wash cloth on my face. The room smelled so bad that at one point I got out some lotion to put on so that I could smell something nice and when I went to put it on my legs and feet I realized the bottoms of my feet were black from walking barefoot in the room!!! Then I go to wash them in the bath and there is no hot water! We called the front desk to tell them and there response was for us to turn the shower and sink on full blast at the same time and wait about 15-20 minutes. Acted like we were stupid and should have known to do this because it was an old building. They put us in a room farthest from the front door so we parked next to the back door and propped it open to carry in our luggage. The man from the front desk comes outside to tell us very rudely that he was watching us on the camera and that we are not allowed to go back in that door. Said we could go out that door but if we wanted back in we had to go in the front door and walk all the way around with all of our belongings! Didn't even offer us a luggage cart. The horrible pot hole filled parking lot should have been our first clue. Their continental breakfast included a box of old hard doughnuts that were upside down and looked like they had been serving the same box for the last 3 weeks. This place should be shut down! I don't even know how they can claim to be a 2 star hotel. We have stayed in all range of hotels while traveling and this place is worse than a 1 star motel! There is a low priced 2 1/2 star Quality Inn right down the street that is way better! The rooms are nice, clean, and the staff is friendly. It is right around $15 more for the Quality Inn and it is worth it! We called and asked if we could have a late check out and they cut us off while asking and said No, we don't give here! We said not even 30 minutes later. No!. It's not like they had to hurry and clean the room because someone else had already booked it, we had to be one of two guests staying at the hotel. You'd think if their false advertising tricked one couple into booking with them that they would be grateful and accommodating while they were there. Nope! I literally would sleep in my car before ever staying at this hotel again. We left and booked a room at the Quality Inn down the street and the first thing I did was take a shower because I smelled just from being there! All my clothes smelled so bad that I didn't want to wear them or even take them out of my bag because it was so bad.
We are very easy going easy to please travelers and this place was just ridiculous! It's like I just want to keep going on about all the awful facts about this place and that is not even my personality.
What ever you do, do not stay at this hotel! I think this would only be a step up for a homeless person since it is shelter from the rain.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Melissa K
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Wow! Where to begin?!?!?! My wife & I had made the reservations through Booking.com. We looked at the wonderful accommodations & pictures that were nearly 15 yrs. old. We were especially interested in that the hotel had a pool. We got to the the hotel on 07/15/13. We had called ahead to see if we could check in early by 2 pm as we had a blind cat that was having a hard time with the hot weather. They were accommodating in that respect. Once we got to the hotel, we entered the lobby which was just as warm outside as it was inside (approx. 95 deg.). There was NO A/C in the lobby! As customers, we expected it to be cool & comfortable in the lobby as we checked in. The front desk clerk indicated that the owner was trying to conserve on using the A/C as she is struggling to keep the hotel running. She also indicated that she couldn't give us a room key since the key machine was out of order & she was waiting on the owner to fix it. We were let into our 1st room. We were amazed at how spacious it was. I attempted to turn on the light in the bathroom. Much to my surprise, the light flickered like the bulb was going out. I then proceeded to go to the front desk & speak w/the person there. She indicated that they'd have NO problem changing rooms for us. We gladly accepted the change in rooms. My wife & I then moved all of our luggage & our blind cat to the 2nd room. With everything that has been going wrong so far, we really didn't want anything else to happen. But surprise!! Our bathroom ADA railing was not even attached to the wall!! By this time I was a bit upset. My wife & I attempted to connect to the hotel's FREE WiFi. Again, filled with disappointment. There was no free WiFi in the room. I went down to the front desk & spoke with "Jean" the clerk. She informed me that the owner is having difficulty getting the WiFi into the rooms & that it's available in the lobby (where it was extremely warm)!! I also informed her of the issue with the ADA railing. She said she would get the new handyman to fix it. I went back to the room & informed my wife. By this time, our cat was feeling better that she was in a cool room. I tried putting our refreshments in the fridge to get them cold. Yet again, to my surprise, the cleaning staff neglected to look in the mini-fridge. The previous guests had left their "take home" containers from a local restaurant in the fridge. By this time I was getting very mad at everything that had been going on. I marched down to the front desk & spoke with Jean. She was very apologetic & said that the cleaning staff should've inspected the fridge. The owner was at the front desk by this time trying to fix the key machine. She indicated that she was waiting on her son to come & fix the machine. I informed the owner of my dissatisfaction with her hotel. She said that she was having trouble paying the bills & that's why she hasn't turned on the A/C in the lobby. I was furious by this time & informed her that maybe she SHOULDN'T be in business & to close her doors for good!!! She did offer to move us to yet another room. I said no because we've done this twice already. I asked her if there was anything that she could do as in giving us a jacuzzi room. She said no & that with having that kind of room, the county charges her for her water & that the room would be $125/night. I also asked the owner about the swimming pool. She said that the pool area has been under construction (I find out later that it's been out of order for almost a year)!! I was totally astounded & frustrated with this information. If a guest has had a bad experience, you'd think that the owner would make every attempt to make the guest happy. She did nothing of the sorts!! I took our key cards back to the room. By this time, the new handyman had been working on the bathroom railing for over an hour. He was having trouble getting the screws into the wall since the walls were made of concrete instead of drywall/plaster. I was sitting in the room using my personal hotspot on my phone to access the internet. Each time the handyman was trying to use the drill, he was scaring our cat. My wife had to take her out of the room repeatedly. After 3.5 hrs. of the handyman trying to fix the railing, my wife ended up telling him that he can stop for the night & that we didn't need it fixed. She was at the front desk as she was doing this because the handyman had came down to ask the desk clerk a question. With some of the information that the desk clerk had told my wife, she was astounded. Jean said that the entire staff lives at the hotel which was very strange to say the least. Then we also find out that they've also go migrant workers that are bussed to the hotel to live on the 2nd floor. All the school age children were dropped off on a bus in front of the hotel. We also found out that the hotel provides free coffee & donuts to the guests. The migrant workers & their children would come down in the morning & eat most of the donuts. Plus, they all come down to the lobby in the evenings & use the free WiFi that's available only in the lobby. With all the information that we obtained about the owner, staff & migrant workers were were just blown away by the information. Make sure to have the hotel update their information so that they are TRUTHFUL with their guests!!! Being misinformed is very disheartening!! We were VERY disgusted with the owner & all the poor management of the facility!! We will NEVER stay at this hotel ever again, unless it's under different ownership!!!!!

Room Tip: In my opinion, don't waste your hard earned money on this dump!! Go find a nicer place to stay!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Fred H
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Please do not stay at the Garden Inn in Kokomo. This motel is horrendous including the staff, as well as the owner......We checked into the motel because there were no other ones available in the area.

Once we entered the room both my husband & I used the bathroom. The toilet flush once but not for the second party, in addition there was no water coming out of the faucet. We immediately went to the front desk to advise the clerk who was overly apologetic, stating that it was her first time working there. The young man that was there stated that the water Doppler was turned down to save water. Huh! Therefore, We requested a refund. The clerk said she had to call the owner. I asked why, when I just paid in cash less than five minutes ago? Well she got the owner on the phone and explained why we wanted a refund the owner replied no. We need to request it from booking online. We were extremely upset because we just gave them cash. Priceline only held funds on credit card for reservation only. Anyway the owner MS. PATELl was as rude as the staff she hired and would not budge. Therefore we decided to look at two other rooms . We had the same issue no water. Finally the police was called on us because of complaints and they made the staff put us in a room with running water. I was visiting the area for a happy occasion and it turned into a nightmare. Never ever again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marie W
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed here and the room was never cleaned! Beds were made ......floor wasnt vaccumed and to top it off next to the bed was an opened jose cuervo bottle!.....not mine! I addresses the situation over and over and never got a reply. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Travelinsoul87
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I normally stay at the Holiday Inn in this area, however, my job tried to put me here to save money. I walked in and noticed a bad smell, like mildew. The service at the front desk was awful. They were rude and slow. My room was the worst but I did try to stay. However, after a night of propped open doors to the outside, people running the halls (who seemed to be friends of the front desk clerk), and a foul smell in my room that I could not describe, I decided that enough was enough. That night I went to Holiday Inn and was booked into my normal room. Do not try to stay here, it's not worth saving a few dollars. Honestly, if it had been money out of my own pocket, I would rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed: January 2013