“Lovely rustic and quirky hotel”
Review of Crown & Horns Inn

Crown & Horns Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 East Ilsley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My mother and I had two rooms booked here for a Monday night before the STFC Photowalk at RAL, so it was only a brief overnight stay. We had a lovely welcome and the rooms were really nice. Really liked the layout and the decor of the place - very quirky!

We ate dinner in the hotel and the food was delicious and reasonably priced, neither of us had room for dessert which is very unusual. Service was good and friendly too even though there only seemed to be one chap providing the waiting service and the bar service.

My room was a little compact, but for one person for one night was perfect - loving the remote control shower.

Breakfast was a delicious bacon filled sandwich (plenty of bacon thank you very much) and a pot of tea. Admittedly there wasn't much of a buffet breakfast on offer - cereal and juice only - but that was okay with me. Again, service was good, even though the young lady seemed to be multitasking!

Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here over a long weekend to go to the races at Newbury. Would have liked a place nearer the town/racecourse but The Crown was all that was left. It was the luckiest thing I did as I picked a load of donkeys at the races!
All the staff I met were genuinely friendly - not the manufactured way you sometimes get in hotels. It felt like a privately owned place and I didn't know until told on the last night that there are more hotels in the chain.
Great decor throughout and all very tastefully done. Comfy bed and double width shower.
Patio is a good place to have a couple of drinks as it is a suntrap. We had a couple of meals and the food was good quality.
The cab fares to Newbury were £25-£30 but I still spent less than I would have getting a hotel closer to town. I would thoroughly recommend this place. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had room 11 which was very cosy.
1  Thank Phillyj132
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We are traveling musicians who stayed here because it was on our late-night route and it got good reviews. We arrived late and left early, so cannot comment on all the amenities, but these folks waited up late for us AND helped us load all our equipment from our car to our rooms, and for that they get 100 stars and our unending gratitude. Very very nice people. Stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EasyRiderTour
Reviewed 12 May 2014

... we tossed and turned all night. The bed just wasn't comfortable. (Room 4)

We really loved the place and the village, but I can't return unless I can be certain of a good nights rest.

They have an excellent menu but on Sunday evening they only serve pizza. They recommended a trip to Newbury, but Compton is closer and has a good (but pricey) eatery there.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here overnight as my daughter was running nearby. The room was tastefully decorated and very clean, staff were helpful and friendly. If you are a walker it is near to the Ridgeway. Although my room overlooked the courtyard I was not in any way disturbed by noise. Would stop here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This was our 4th visit to The Crown and Horns and we were as impressed this time as much as when we first visited. The staff are so friendly, home from home atmosphere, very relaxed. We checked in early, so had a lovely chilled bottle of wine ( or two) in the courtyard as it was very sunny and warm.
Dinner again was really good, spoilt for choice. I had the curry (lovely) and my husband had the pulled pork burger which he said was very tasty.
Our room had everything you could want for a weekend break, however we both felt that maybe a booklet advising of meal times, check out etc would be good.
Overall our night away was excellent, breakfast was great and set us up for the day! Thanks to all the staff, we will be back again soon, that I am certain of.

Room Tip: We have stayed in both courtyard rooms and upstairs rooms, both are lovely. Not been in a cosy room...
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We needed a bed for the night in the middle of a very full weekend music course and knew we would not arrive until late. We got a friendly prompt reception at 11.00pm.
The room was very small, but tastefully decorated and kitted out with a really comfortable bed and nice over-the-bedhead reading lights. The en suite bathroom was well stocked with generous fluffy white towels and nice toiletries, and a good shower. Plenty of tea and coffee and choice of nice biscuits. We got a good nights sleep and were off again early next morning. We woud certainly choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: I might ask if a larger room was available if I was staying for longer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Been to Crown & Horns Inn? Share your experiences!