“A joy to stay”
Review of Crown & Horns Inn

Crown & Horns Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 East Ilsley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I found this place by accident but now if near didcot or oxford or reading. I try to get a room.

The staff are beyond friendly, they have real character and humour. Several times I have laughed at their general interactions. Food and rooms both superb. For me a real ale drinker the bar is a winner too.

If the weather is nice there is a very nice outside sitting area. All round a hidden gem.

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014

In order to avoid bland expensive service stations we pulled off the A34 and stopped here. Entered a very cosy bar to be greeted by a friendly and chatty landlady who took our food and drink orders. We chose to sit outside in a clean and tidy outside area. Food arrived. Good quality, quantity and price. Although we only had a small meal would definitely like to explore the menu further.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night as a stop off from cycling the ridgeway.
Was wonderful in all respects - warm welcome, nice rooms, food good - hearty English fare and great veggie breakfast option. Overall a treat! The pump on the village green works for real. Would highly recommend to all. John cr

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank John C
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I decided to stay here with my girlfriend on a saturday night on a journey eastbound breaking up a journey to the airport for an early morning flight as it was not so far off the M4.
We were greeted by the owner (I think) who is a very friendly and courteous man. He showed us all we needed to know, except what to do if I'm leaving early in the morning, which did happen. Nevertheless, we found our room easily which were all horse racing themed. A nice touch I thought.
The room itself was very lovely. Modern and comfortable. Some might find it small but for me there was no necessity for it to be bigger.

We were meeting friends in the evening and decided to have dinner there also. All I can say is well done because the food was incredible. Not that expensive at around £9 a dish or so, but my goodness did it taste good. They were also very accommodating when we asked for two pots of custard for the dessert.

I would fully recommend this place and would definitely stay here again in similar circumnstances.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The transformation of the restaurant and pub area a couple of years ago produced something special. Even more special is that they've kept up the standard. We've been going regularly and are always delighted with the quality. A real success keep it up!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My mother and I had two rooms booked here for a Monday night before the STFC Photowalk at RAL, so it was only a brief overnight stay. We had a lovely welcome and the rooms were really nice. Really liked the layout and the decor of the place - very quirky!

We ate dinner in the hotel and the food was delicious and reasonably priced, neither of us had room for dessert which is very unusual. Service was good and friendly too even though there only seemed to be one chap providing the waiting service and the bar service.

My room was a little compact, but for one person for one night was perfect - loving the remote control shower.

Breakfast was a delicious bacon filled sandwich (plenty of bacon thank you very much) and a pot of tea. Admittedly there wasn't much of a buffet breakfast on offer - cereal and juice only - but that was okay with me. Again, service was good, even though the young lady seemed to be multitasking!

Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed here over a long weekend to go to the races at Newbury. Would have liked a place nearer the town/racecourse but The Crown was all that was left. It was the luckiest thing I did as I picked a load of donkeys at the races!
All the staff I met were genuinely friendly - not the manufactured way you sometimes get in hotels. It felt like a privately owned place and I didn't know until told on the last night that there are more hotels in the chain.
Great decor throughout and all very tastefully done. Comfy bed and double width shower.
Patio is a good place to have a couple of drinks as it is a suntrap. We had a couple of meals and the food was good quality.
The cab fares to Newbury were £25-£30 but I still spent less than I would have getting a hotel closer to town. I would thoroughly recommend this place. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had room 11 which was very cosy.