“What a belter of a pub”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“What a belter of a pub”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

What a great find! Just met a group of friends at a half way point and we have found this treasure of a fantastically refurbed pub - great food - homemade pizzas and mezze boards are a must! Good cask beer, great atmosphere - place was full when we were there! The guy behind the bar took the time to show us the new rooms, which are fabulous. We have booked a long weekend already.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice Boxing Day Lunch”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

My partner and I plus 2 friends went to the Crown and Horns for lunch on Boxing Day. The pub has recently been refurbished and its been very well done. It feels much more open and fresh. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly and the lunch menu was very varied with lots of fresh locally sourced produce. We had two course each, plus drinks and coffee and the bill worked out at about £27 per head which was very good. The food I have to say was lovely and good portions. If I have anything negative to say, the waitress we had was very young and I suspect this was her first job at waitressing and perhaps even her first day as she was a little all over the place.
That said I would thoroughly recommend The Crown and Horns as a pub and restaurant. They also have accommodation as well although I cant comment on this.

• Visited December 2012
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Christmas Meal for Family”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We booked a table for family get together, it took one and half hours to get our basic food which was expensive for what it was, the service was terrible, when ordering coffee the waitress lost her cool because we were trying to see who wanted what. When I went to pay the foreign guy on the bar was rude and abrupt when he asked me if all was OK and I told him the truth. The coffee had lumps in it from the machine not proper milk, and not cheap. The Ham on my Ham Egg and Chips had been put on the grill for some reason, more like bacon than ham. We have been coming to the pub for years for family anniversary's etc. and loved the atmosphere and people that used to run it. The Locals that have been driven away used to make the place, a lot of people from the local racing stables etc. they all made you feel welcome, and some lovely characters. There seemed a lot of Managers doing nothing, the only good thing about the place was a nice young waitress who worked hard and tried her best. Not a very nice Xmas experience at all.

2 Thank Jon W