“Lovely pub, nice rooms, good food, pity about the breakfast”

Crown and Horns Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My stay here started off well; the staff were extremely welcoming and accommodating and I was fixed up with a room at a reasonable price in no time. Although the room was not vast it was big enough and the bed was huge. Well appointed bathroom and fabulous digitally controlled Mira shower. Having had a big lunch I didn't have an evening meal but the ones I caught sight of looked very promising.
I really enjoyed staying there, right up to the moment when I went in to breakfast (they do breakfast from 7am, which is good) when I was very surprised to find that I had to pay for it and the price I had been given was for a room only. Now, the reason I was so surprised was that no mention was made of this when booking, which it should have been and which I regard frankly as sharp and unfair practice. Even the website, when I look at it now, makes no mention that I can see of the chargeable breakfast, though obviously it does not actually say it's included. The sample breakfast menu has no prices on it, unlike the one I was handed.. and it definitely constrains the breakfast experience. The breakfast was OK - no fruit or yoghurt though.
Hmf. I am still giving the Crown and Horns four stars, because it was so good in so many ways. I am not complaining either about the overall cost of the stay, which was reasonable. But I do strongly advise all those intending to book to allow at least an extra £12 per head for their (English) breakfast. And I strongly recommend that the C&H do what almost everybody else does and include it, for staying guests, or at the very least try to be honest about it upfront. Such a shame to end the visit on a sour note

DOXFORDS, Manager at Crown and Horns Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2014

Thank you for your very nice review - although disappointed to read you didn't enjoy your breakfast. we charge £6.75 for breakfast as our guests have told us that not everyone wants to have breakfast in the morning (especially business travellers) and prefer us to keep our rates really low. I have fed back your comments to my head chef, and hope next time you stay you will be able to score us that perfect 5/5.

Haroon

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just to start with, I have to say our adult Sunday roast dinners were lovely, slightly on the small size if your a man with a bit appetite but perfect size for me. The menu looked great and the pub itself if you didn't look too closely at the actual decorating (I could do a better job!) is aesthetically pleasing. However I would like to say I was very disappointed with the children's meals. The fish and chips were not to the standard I would expect, and you could do better in the freezer department of a budget supermarket for quality of food. Also it didn't seem that they bothered looking a the single piece of meat on the kids roast dinner, which was basically all fat.... We did show them and comment on this and were offered more meat. Which unfortunately we had to turn down as she wouldn't have eaten it after that. The wait staff were nice, not quite sure how I feel about us all being called 'lovely' all the time but hey, I'm not that bothered, although I would think some might be.

3  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I found this place via tripadvisor as a meeting point for a catch up. It's got a great feel and great decor, menu choices were varied and reasonable priced and the staff were friendly and efficient.

Would definitely visit again if I was in the area

Would highly recommend a visit

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had a lovely meal with friends - staff were very accommodating and attentive. Good choice on the menu, can recommend the Sea Bass!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were here on a Thursday and Friday evening. Our room opened on to the courtyard where many were eating but by 10.30pm the chatter had reduced considerably and we were not disturbed.

Good modern room with huge bed and good recently refurbished facilities at a very good price.

We also liked the wide choice (in prices) on the dinner menu and what we had was to a high standard with a very pleasant standard of decor and a good atmosphere.

Staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed here while walking another section of the Ridgeway long distance path and it was a quite reasonably priced and handy alternative to our usual B&B options.

Thank you all at The Crown and Horns. Keep up the good work in your revived pub with rooms.