“Safety issues, but clean rooms”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Lafayette
Atlanta, Georgia
“Safety issues, but clean rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

My dog and I stayed here while travelling through the area. The hotel was nice, modern and my room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Although the location was right next to the interstate, I didn't notice much, if any, traffic noise.

The check-in process was efficient and staff was nice. I asked if it was safe to take a walk in the immediate area and was told that it was.

There was plenty of green space available to walk the dogs (even had a little gazebo and BBQ grill available if any guests wanted to use it).

Because I had a dog with me, I asked for a downstairs room which I received. Unfortunately, the room was right across from the breakfast area which had my dog barking a few times whenever there was a loud noise. It didn't bother me that my dog barked, but I was concerned for other guests trying to sleep in the early morning hours.

The breakfast offerings were the standard breakfast items: yogurt, cereal, fruit, waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, etc. However, the hard boiled egg I tried was not fully cooked and the yolk was pretty soft (middle runny). I did report this to management.

I was concerned about a safety issue issue at this hotel. The side/rear door that is supposed to be locked 24/7 did not lock at all. Because of this, it appears to be possible for someone to enter the hotel via this unlocked door and go immediately upstairs and maybe into the hallways and not be seen by the front desk staff as one doesn't have to pass the front desk from this entrance (perhaps a security camera is watching this door - based on other reviews?). I asked the front desk person if she knew the door wasn't locking and she said they were aware of it.

After my stay, I received a note from the manager of this LQ and was told they were working to fix the lock. Now, in reading other recent reviews, it appears this lock has been an issue for a bit longer than since my stay in mid-June. I am hoping it is repaired soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Crawfordsville, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

Don't let the pictures online fool you. Looks can be deceiving and that proved itself to be true in this case. When we searched for hotels, we seen pictures of a place that looks to be professional and very clean. When we got there, the look of it seemed alright and it seemed fairly clean, as we were settling in, we noticed we were wrong. The first thing I had noticed was an ant crawling on my leg, I wasn't too concerned until I seen an army of ants coming out from the corner of the bathroom. So soon after that, my sister, friend & I decided to go for a swim. What was expected to be a refreshing experience turned into another disgusting disappointment. The pool had nasty black things floating in it & the hot tub didn't bubble and wasn't barely heated at all. We didn't even spend 20 minutes in the pool area before deciding it wasn't worth swimming in. After that, we went back to the room to shower. The shower pressure wasn't very strong and the water took at least 5 minutes to heat up. There was also spiders in the bathtub. Things got even worse after showering. As I started to relax in the bed, following my shower, I noticed this nasty bug crawling on the sheets. I recognized it as one of those rollie pollies aka pill bugs. As we continued to look around we noticed that there were many more. They were crawling on the ceiling, on the corners of the floor and on the walls. There was also a coffee cup & a pop can on the floor around the edge of the bed which made us believe that the room hadn't even been cleaned. Completely disgusted & frustrated, we called the front desk and complained. They didn't seem very concerned about our complaints at all. They even told us they were aware of the bugs and offered us some bug spray as if that would be an immediate relief to use! Considering the fact that three of us had asthma, we declined that offer and they moved us to another room. The lady at the front desk told us that she had checked out the other room and that it looked "fine" so we were hoping that maybe we just got a faulty room with some disgusting creatures. To our dismay, the second room was even more infested! It had a funny smell and there was noticeable bugs crawling around everywhere. We checked around the bed and noticed small tissues laying around underneath the bedding as well as a used deodorant. We called again for the third time, making them aware of our disappointment of the second room and they seemed pretty nonchalant about the whole thing. Without having any answers or refund we were forced to stay there for the night because I had a college registration to go to the next day so we had no choice but to stay. None of us got more than three hours of sleep because of the paranoia from all the creatures that could have been possibly crawling all over us. The next morning we had spoke to the manager about our concerns and she told us there was nothing she could do because we had went through a third party (Priceline) to reserve the room. It didn't seem like they really had a concern about their guests comfort or satisfaction. I definitely wouldn't recommend this to someone who's looking for a relaxing & enjoyable stay away from home because the whole time I was there I was wishing I could go home. That is honestly how bad it was. With the room I was in, I would have been better off camping & saving our money because even then there would have never been that many bugs in my tent. Upon all this, we were afraid to eat breakfast because with how dirty it was, we didn't feel safe eating there. I paid for this hotel with my own money to celebrate my birthday on (June 21st) and to stay in a place closer to my college for the registration I had the next day. We definitely weren't happy customers and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tabitha B
, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
I want to first thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at LaQuinta Inn & Suites in Lafayette, Indiana. As the assistant manager, and the one who talked to you the following morning during checkout, I feel the need to comment on your story, which I believe may not be entirely truthful. I just wanted to clarify the issues in the order that it was described in the review. We have an employee who observes and cleans the pool area every morning at 8 am. It may have been possible that someone using the pool before you could have left something in there. It is hard for the front desk to constantly check up on the pool after each guest, but if we were made aware of the resudues, we would have came right away and discarded the material. The employee also routinely checks the temeperature of the hot tub and makes sure the heat is around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. We were experiencing some trouble with the pumps that control the hot tub jets, and we do apologize for that. As for the water pressure/heat in the shower, I can't be entirely certain if this was an issue with the room or personnal preference. We had rented this room the night before without a complaint, and the pressure is generally the same throughout the building, so again this could just be a personal preference. We do have an adjuster on the shower head that allows the guest to control the pressure as well. The presence of the deodorant bottle and the soda cans in your room also seemed dubious, because when we were showed the placement of these objects in the room, they were in plain sight where the housekeepers would not have missed them. We assure you that the rooms were cleaned and the chances of finding these objects were very rare, especially when the front desk clerk had checked the second room to assure of its cleanliness. Finally, I would like to discuss the bugs found in the rooms, because this is a very serious accusation. At the time of checkout, which is when most of these issues were brought to my attention, a housekeeper and I went to both rooms. We did find a few rollie pollie bugs under the sink, but did not find a single ant or spider crawling on the ceilings or in the bath tub. These rollie pollie bugs pose no harm to clothing, food, or transferring diseases and we have taken care of this issue. We picked apart at the sheets and again did not find anything in the beds either. The front desk would never provide a toxic substance to the guest or spray it in a room with guests still in there. As for compensation, you did not book the room through us, but through Priceline instead. This means we did not charge you, and so we could not provide a refund, only Priceline could. As for the service of the front desk clerks, we pride ourselves on accommodating our guests and resolving any issues that come up.

Travellers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Centerville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is my first experience with this particular chain. After reading the reviews I decided to give this location as chance.

Plus: The hotel is located near many restaurants and easy access to the highway. I found the bed to be Very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The staff wasnt overly friendly but did their job. Free WiFi functioned without any problems.

Minus: The room was adequate, cleanliness was questionable as I found I single strand of hair in the tub that most definitely didn't belong to me. Luke-warm and I do mean luke-warm shower with low pressure (ugh!). Booked during some type of teen function as there were groups loudly parading through the halls and could be heard stomping around in the room above me, thank goodness I'm not a light sleeper. Business partner noted less than adequate "nothing I would ever eat" breakfast. I can't really comment as I never went to check once I was told that.

I recall reading another reviewer questioning the safety of the hotel as the rear entry door lock does not work. Well, this is still the case but I do not think this is an area where you have to worry about security issues. Furthermore, I noticed security cameras at the front desk and all entering that door can be viewed by front office staff. And yes, you will feel like you have just entered the set of That 70's show! Orange, yellow and mustard-green decor.

Overall, I rate it as adequate as I had enough towels to last my entire stay, and the bed provided an excellent night sleep.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries. There was one bar of cheap soap and a small bottle of shampoo.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

The staff was great; very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and well kept. Breakfast in morning was above average for quality and offerings. The decor could be updated. Beds were comfortable and pillows and blankets were plentiful. HVAC was okay; temperature control knob was broken. Kids enjoyed the pool and the hot tub was nice. Very kid friendly. The Meijer store next door was a huge bonus. We ran over there multiple times for items. Location was GREAT!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Neenah, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Positives: Price was very right at $80 a night; Location; very dog friendly (they get an A+ for being so level headed); clean bathroom, ok breakfast selection, clean breakfast area.

Needs Improving: One bed sheet had some gross dirt on it (so it wasn't washed); the side entrance to the hotel door lock was broken, anyone could come in or out and no sign of it going to be repaired, etc.(major safety issue); the air conditioner smelled musty when running (very noticeable musty odor).

I wanted to like this place because my first impression was the bathroom and it was clean, and that's important, but then the other things started adding up so nope. Too bad because with just a little effort this could be a good place. In a pinch I'd stay there again because of the price and so dog friendly, but would check the sheets right away!

Room Tip: The rooms are ok on the side of the Interstate, but if you need it really quiet then ask to get a ro...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank keith b
Barrington, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here with my 13 year old son on way back from Indianapolis 500 race. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The rate was fair, given the holiday and it was right off of Interstate 65. The room was quiet and hotel was very clean and good for business travelers or for families traveling for vacation. I would not pay more than $125.00 a night.

Room Tip: No issues with room location etc. Was on third floor and even though we were very close to Interstat...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family