“Good Basic Lodging”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Lafayette
South Dakota
“Good Basic Lodging”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

The LaQuinta in Lafayette is not a new building -- the desk manager told me it was a former Baymont. It probably could use more updating but for the prices they charge, you really should be satisfied with basic.

The pleasant staff should be noted and the general cleanliness is evident.

One hint. They do have an "apartment" suite with full kitchen that, on the days we were there, they offered at a pretty decent price. Plenty of room for small family gatherings such as ours. If interested, be sure to ask for it.

I would underscore the suggestion that your room be on the side away from I 65. That was really nice and quiet but those in our group with a room on the other side of the hotel did complain a bit about the highway noise.

Like most (all?) La Quinta's this one is pet friendly although they have very strict rules governing the pets in the building. One party in our group really appreciated the accommodation of pets and the others appreciated the restrictions regarding the pets that were there.

In general everyone in our group seemed satisfied with this property and for the price paid, it seemed a good value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Morrison, IL
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Recently I enjoyed a very clean, quiet and comfortable stay at the Lafayette, Indiana LQ ! Pleasant staff made the experience very enjoyable. Nice pool/hot tub. Beds so comfortable I wish I could have figured out a way to get one in my suitcase ! I would recommend this hotel to my mom !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Kimberly E, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for letting us know how your recent stay with us was and I'm glad you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for choosing the Lafayette, IN LaQuinta Inn and Suites and look forward to hosting you again soon. Have a great day and again, thank you!

Naperville, IL
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Room was a HUGE disappointment. The room was stuffy. The A/C would not stay on and we could not open window. The sheets were all pilled and scratchy. The pillows were flat and lumpy. Towels were thin. No towels in the fitness room. The light in the fitness room was on a timer and after being on the treadmill for about 20 minutes all the lights went out while I was still running - a dangerous situation to say the least! Also, the hotel was priced pretty high for what it offered. I would never stay here again and most likely avoid the La Quinta chain.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Kimberly E, Assistant Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Mrs. Benson, I would like to start off by thanking you for choosing the Lafayette, IN LaQuinta Inn and Suites for your recent stay. I am very sorry your stay with us was not enjoyable. We value our guest and try to make every stay a good one. I did receive your survey from LaQuinta and wrote down all the issues you had and I went to that room to follow up. I also want to note before I continue, that when you filled out that survey, you did mention that non of these issues were reported during your stay. The windows in all our rooms have two panels and the second panel has a latch on it that you have to pull back to get the window to open. This is for security. If you had notified the front desk that there was a problem getting it opened, they would have helped you.

All of the AC units are set to a sensor. When you are not in the room it will shut off, but if a guest would like it to run all the time it can be switched to manual at the guest's request.

Please be reassured, that we do value your concerns as well as all our guests and take every issue that is brought to our attention seriously. That is the purpose of the surveys, so as a hotel we can better our service to our guest. I do hope you will stay with us again or at another location in the future. I look forward to hosting you again.

Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

I normally book through hotwire when visiting our daughter at Purdue. About half the time we end up at this hotel. The rooms are small but nicely appointed with comfortable beds. Most importantly the rooms are nice and clean. The room experience can vary greatly depending on which side of the hotel your room is on. Request a room opposite I65 as rooms along the highway are quite noisy. The free breakfast here is very skimpy compared to competing hotels, but don't let that deter you as its still adequate. Lastly, travel time to Purdue can range from 12-30 minutes depending on traffic.

• Stayed September 2013
Dugger, Indiana
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I booked a room at this hotel this past weekend and it was the biggest hotel mistake I have EVER made!!! The room smelled horrible when I walked in and the air conditioner was not on so I walked over and turned it on and the smell coming out of it was worse than the warmth in the room. The smell never did stop coming out of the air conditioner. I am a single mother of two so for us to get away for the weekend is rare so I decided not to dwell on it and ruin our little get away. We had been driving for four hours and decided to go down to the pool and relax a while.....big mistake again!!! The pool was nasty, it was COLD and you couldnt even see the bottom of it. The hotel was full and the pool area was so bad that no one was in the pool at all. We decided to give the hot tub a try but since my youngest is six she could only stay in a few minutes.
The hot tub was hot but the water was nasty!!! It was green, you couldnt even see the bottom of the hot tub and there was a gentleman in the hot tub that said he was in it bc of how cold the pool was. They had a birthday party there this weekend and the kids came in and jumped into the pool without checking it and about froze when they hit the water. Six teenage girls got out of the pool and came to the hot tub bc of how cold the water was. Once in the hot tub they looked down and said "this water is nasty". I called the owner/manager when I returned home and he basically called me a liar. He stated he was there all day Saturday and there was nothing wrong with the pool or the hot tub and my accomidations were just fine. Obviously his idea of fine and my idea of fine is two different things. I have stated in nicer, cleaner roach motels!!!! Do yourself a favor if you want a clean hotel that you can enjoy DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, pick a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Kimberly E, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
I’m sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn’t satisfactory to your standards. Our goal is to make sure everyone is accommodated to the best of our abilities while they are here.

When we last had the opportunity to speak, which was the day after you checked out of the hotel, you brought the pool issues to our attention. In regards to the pool, we regulate the water quality every morning, and the weekend of your stay was no exception. After this was explained, you changed the issue from quality to temperature issues. I also explained that the pool and hot tub were regulated to the hotel standards. During this conversation, you did not mention any issues with the room. I just wish that you had brought these issues to our attention during your stay or at checkout instead of the day after checkout when we are unable to make your stay more comfortable. After checking with the front desk staff, I was told that there were no complaints during the entire weekend, neither from you nor the many guests that were staying as well.

We strive to maintain our hotel to the highest of standards. We take all comments very seriously and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindly,
La Quinta Lafayette Team
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our stay at La Quinta Inn was very pleasant. The building and grounds are well maintained, as well as attractive. The rooms were neat and clean, and the beds were comfortable. We are planning to stay there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Hartford City,IN
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed for 7 nights and got the weekly rate. I asked for an free upgrade for one room ,up to a suite, based on my laquinta elite returns card. The desk person agreed to that but then gave me paperwork that was 10 dollar a nite higher than the weekly rate..RULE ONE..always look at paperwork before signing it. I signed it, not realizing the rate was 10 bucks a nite higher...so at checkout everyone from the pool cleaner, the desk person, and the manager says..." You signed the paperwork" . Yes, I did but if I had realized I was paying $10 more a nite for a FREE upgrade I would have said.."no thank you"......so I dropped over 1700 dollars for three rooms for 7 nights, and the difference was 70 dollars to Laquintas good. Now don't you think that measly 70 bucks would have been better spent satisfying the customer instead of said customer writing this highly favorable review of a pretty good property that left me with a real sour taste in my mouth....so like I told them..guess I will skip staying there for 7 nights on next years project...and stay over at Clarion. So who wins.? Them or me? For now them...mmm, later maybe not.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Kimberly E, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Good day Mr. Davis and let me start off by thanking you for choosing the Lafayette, IN LaQuinta Inn and Suites for your stay. The extended stay rate is based on our standard rooms. When a guest wants to up grade to a suite they can for an additional charge of $10 added to the extended stay rate. You received the suite at an extended stay rate, which is a much lesser rate. As an Elite member, you can receive free up grades, but not at an already reduced standard rate. I do hope you return, because we do value you and your concerns.