“Housekeeping mismanaged, buffet awful”

Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Lafayette
Palm Coast, Florida
“Housekeeping mismanaged, buffet awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed 4 nights over a football weekend at Purdue. Housekeeping never set foot in my room on two of the days. All this while being gouged with NYC room rates ($320 and $290 per nite on Fri. and Sat. plus tax, etc. etc.) First time housekeeping didn't show I had just returned to hotel at about 6. Desk offered to make up room - I said forget it. Desk person said "Well, we have until 6 pm to make up rooms". Next day they showed up. Third day no show again - desk said your wife said don't clean the room - except I was there alone and I said my wife's a thousand miles away. Ridiculous housekeeping management - I'm sure the housekeepers just do what they're told. Breakfast buffet was The Worst I've ever had. A few pcs. of fruit In a runny bowl; dry, cold scrambled eggs; greasy stuck-together bacon. Very little selection. Waitress didn't disclose buffet price when I entered.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Dave932,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. It is of great concern that you were not satisfied with the housekeeping service and breakfast selections that was served as customer service and cleanliness are of an utmost priority for our hotel. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service and products. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have made several trips to this hotel. My hubby went to Purdue and loves to re-discover his roots. I love this hotel. It is walking distance to alot of restaurants and businesses. It is easy access to anywhere you want to go in this city. The bar is pleasant and the food is good for late night. It isnt too far from Purdue campus or Columbia Park. Its a minutes drive to all the unique dinning and college hang out and my favorite the drive-in restuarant. It isnt over priced and if I need to run to a Target or store, its only about a fifteen minute drive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
GMSusan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I appreciate your kind words and look forward to having you stay with us again!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Having read just a few reviews it didn't take me long to find the one that matches my experience with this hotel. My wife booked a couple of rooms here over a football weekend and wasn't told that their cancellation policy is 30 days (the reservations were made with less than 30 days until the stay). I called the hotel within 30-45 minutes of the reservation (upon learning via e-mail about the non-cancellation policy) and was told I was out of luck and to call 1-800-Holiday if I had further complaints. The manager was very rude and non-helpful.

I did call the corporate office and nothing was done except delay in getting back to me and ultimately telling me I'm out of luck. There is no recording for me to prove a negative that they didn't tell my wife and they are refusing to acknowledge any potential error on their part.

I travel quite a bit and have never had the level or rudeness and a complete inability to understand and acknowledge their error. I have filed with the AG's office and the BBB.

Having seen at least one review on here similar to mine, I believe this is the hotel's way of double booking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Phil M,

Thank you for leaving us a feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our guest services.

There are types of reservations that comes with a cancellation fee and/or full pre-payment requirement. Many IHG properties are franchised, independently owned and operated. In this case, we determine our own rates and cancellation policies in accordance with local demand and business needs. Acknowledgement of the restrictions is required in order to obtain your confirmation number. This provides you with the option of agreeing to or declining the terms, and gives you a choice to book a different rate type with a different cancellation policy. I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion this has caused you.

We appreciate your feedback and your business. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was in town for my 15 year reunion, the fall veterinary conference and the Notre Dame/Purdue football game. The football game usually creates a high demand for all hotel rooms in the area and a quick sell out, so I was pleased to find this place - clean, decent (I stayed in a dump near I-65 years ago) and close to the conference at the Stewart Center in WL. Initially the ONE night I couldn't get a room was for Friday, the 13th. They put me on a list. This was a few months prior to my visit just last week. I would've had to stay in my car or find someone to stay with but I was going anyhow. I don't get back often enough. I left it in God's hands, because I knew He'd take care of me. I got a call a few weeks prior to my planned visit that I now, INDEED, had the room for my entire stay. I cried because YES, our Heavenly Father does care THAT much about even the small things in our life. I was very pleased the hotel followed through and called me too.

After a 12 hour drive I was so glad to get there and find a very nice front area, easy parking, and a great, comfortable and clean room. The only thing was *I* got no offers of help to get my stuff up to my room so I took the bell cart by myself and went up there.

Otherwise, everyone was helpful and the place was always clean. It was also quiet which is often a problem in many hotels. The location was perfect. I could walk to all the downtown areas and even to the bridge if I wanted. It was a GREAT quick drive to West Lafayette and all the stuff I wanted and needed to do during my visit!

Room Tip: I chose a king size bed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. I am so glad we were able to accommodate you for your reunion at Purdue. We look forward to seeing you again for your 20th reunion! Go Boilers!
Fayetteville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was surprised to see how large and roomy the room was. The hotel is located downtown and maintains the historical feel on the outside. You walk into a beautiful lobby with a grand chandelier, piano and staircase. Beautifully decorated restaurant. The food is only ok. You can tell it's just a Holiday Inn when you taste the food. Though the room is roomy, it's the typical holiday Inn decore. Nothing major but the room was clean.

Room Tip: Parking is limited so you may have to park across the street if there is a big event.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RiaMe
Thank you for posting a response on Trip Advisor. I appreciate all of your feedback and work to improve with this constructive information. I am sorry our restaurant was "only ok". I am passing your review on to our food and beverage department so we can find ways to improve your next stay.
Haskins, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a wedding and while the location of this hotel was great, my initial opinion slowly declined by the time we reached the front desk. Front desk staff wasn't very friendly and after several minutes of silence without explanation we were told he was having trouble finding us a clean room at 3 pm. After getting to our room we immediately found black mold growing in the wall paper near the vent and a large carpet stain beside the bed. I was shocked that they would have even checked anyone into this room. We immediately called the front desk to request a new room. The desk clerk stated it would take them awhile to find us a room and I should come downstairs. After arriving to the front desk, I was told again that it would take awhile to find a new room and I should go back upstairs. Why did you have me running all over the hotel? Moments later a executive housekeeper and engineer arrived at our door to say we couldn't move. They addressed the issues by "scrubbing" the mold off the wallpaper and cleaning the carpet stain. While I appreciated their attention, wouldn't it have been easier to move my room, then take the time to clean the issues for the next guest who didn't have to see what I did? Instead I was inconvenienced by having people cleaning in my room while I was trying to get ready for a wedding. I was never offered compensation for this inconvenience. Definitely a disappointing experience at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Becky T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Becky T,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stumbled upon the Holiday Inn chain completely by accident. During a recent trip on Rt 70 W we were continually unable to find accommodations and in desperation began stopping were ever we could potentially find a room, and as luck would have it we stayed at our first Holiday Inn. With our ultimate destination being Purdue Univ. We started to investigate the possibility of staying close to campus in a Holiday Inn which we did with at the City Centre location. Overall I would rate the hotel as very good, with the highlights being its recent renovations to the main lobby, bar Resturant (Tuscany), spacious, clean bath and guest rooms, nice pool and fantastic location. Our only complaint was with our ac unit that wouldn't adjust and also w our request for a cot as our teenage boys needed more space after a (long day of "moving in") I did not ever consider Holiday inn but now because of this experience may consider it more often for short trips!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol C
I am so glad you "stumbled" upon us when you were making your trip to Purdue University. I appreciate you time in posting this review and hope to see you again in the future. Go Boilers!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lafayette
Hilton Garden Inn West Lafayette Wabash Landing
Homewood Suites by Hilton Lafayette
Hampton Inn & Suites West Lafayette
Hampton Inn Lafayette
Hampton Inn Lafayette
#2 of 21 in Lafayette
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lafayette
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lafayette East

Been to Holiday Inn Lafayette - City Centre? Share your experiences!