“Better Than Expected”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Lafayette
Aberdeen, New Jersey
“Better Than Expected”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay here. I was reluctant to stay, since the hotel is located DIRECTLY off the highway, AND this same location had been closed for many years. I was concerned about the service and facilities that would be available. We were both pleasantly surprised.

1. Check in was fine. My room was pre-paid, so all I had to do was show a credit card.
2. Room was fine. Not a resort, and the room is just average, but ti does have everything you need. Water is VERY hot, and there is a microwave, coffe pot, iron, hair dryer, and fridge in the rooms. Our king sized bed was new, and the AC worked VERY well (although it was extremely loud).
3. Everything inside the hotel is brand new, as the hotel is just opening and under renovations. Surprisingly, there is no construction noise.
4. We were pleasantly surprised to see the breakfast. We were expecting coffee and maybe crummy donuts, and that we'd have to eat at either Bob Evans or Denny's (on premises). But surprisingly, this tiny hotel had sausage, eggs, juice, yogurt, cereals, breads/pastries/muffins, fresh fruit, etc. More than enough food. And free newspaper to boot.
5. Convenient highway access. More than enough parking, and plenty of handicap areas.

Definitely worth the price. Hotel was clean (although we had to call the front desk to tell them what time to clean our room, as we could never seem to locate the DO NOT DISTURB sign.) The ONLY complaints would be the noise from the highway (try to request a front-facing room), and the wake up call service did not work. Other than that, this is a perfectly acceptable less-pricey alternative to the hotels (Best Western, Hampton Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, all over $100/night) across the street.

In the summer, the Clarion is also supposed to be opening their outdoor pool. In the meantime, there is a very small fitness room off the lobby, sans pool. Again small, but adequate.

As an aside, the OUTSIDE of the hotel could defintely use some help. It LOOKS dialpidated (and stuck in the 70s). There are weeds and overgrown grass EVERYWHERE. People would probably not even consider staying here, just by looking at the outside of the hotel. And it is located BEHIND a DENNY's and Bob Evans area, so the hotel is in a weird location to begin with. But don't let looks fool you. The hotel is fine. Not elaborate, but certiany everything you need, There's even free WIFI in the rooms.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the front of the hotel to minimze noise from the adjacent highways.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lbog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I got in late and the property looked a little old, however, the next morning when I checked out it looked decent. The check-in clerk was very friendly. The room was surprisingly nice. Very comfortable bed and much quieter than I expected being so close to I-65. One advantage is it is really close to a very nice restaurant, Mountain Jack's, which I reviewed last year.

Room Tip: The hotel is L-shaped. A room in the east-west wing was pretty quiet. The north-south wing is alon...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Check in was a breeze, forgive me, but I did not get the person's name (male) that checked us in on Sat. Apr. 6. We checked in at 9:30 that evening, after driving down from Wisconsin. I booked the last king room that afternoon because of the rate ($70 + tax) and it was only an 2 1/2 hours drive the next morning to our destination. Everything in the room was very clean. I never stayed in a room that had hardwood floors, but did not have a problem with that. The room came with a micro-wave and a good size refrigerator. It could use a new TV, since this one was an older box type. Water pressure in the shower was good. Besides need a flat-screen TV, the heating/air unit in the room, was a little loud, but tolerable. At check-out, I did mention this, and it was written down. At check-out, there was only one person working, not only did she have to work the front desk, but she also had to refresh the breakfast area. Since the hotel was at full capacity, they could of had an extra person working that day (maybe someone call in sick, i do not know). We had to wait for her to get done with her duting at the breakfast area before we could checkout. Breakfast the next morning had eggs, sausages, bagels, fruit, yougurt, juice, cereal, just to name a few. Overall, the hotel was very clean. The front part of the parking lot was very well lit. There was a Bob Evans restuarant next door and the do deliver to the hotel, up until 10PM. Also, if you are going to get gas, the Speedway, across the street, was 10 cents cheaper than the BP. I will definetly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank imowgreens
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

We had to stay for a one day event in Lafayette and reserved this room via Hotwire. The room was clean...bed comfortable....pillows were very good (best I can remember in a hotel setting). The only negative was that the Saturday breakfast didn't appear to be well-stocked, but there is a Bob Evans and Denny's within walking distance. Overall, a very good experience.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Vilonia, Arkansas
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Great stay, great price! Gave us discount for being a Vet! Thanks! and they showed us our room before we checked in. I had been to alot of hotels that were nasty and i was being very very cautious! The only draw back with this hotel? Is the hallway smelled like cigarettes, that wasn't at all pleasant. But for the price and clean room? It's great! I'd stay here again! I felt safe here with my family.

Room Tip: Quiet, Clean, good Value
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Regina M
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Was on my way from Kentucky to Chicago and the weather got really bad , pulled off this Lafayette exit and pulled into the first hotel. The front desk person Was awesome , got me in quick and for cheap! I had left my aaa card at home and he still gave me a discount ! Room was a king suite , great mattress , clean white linen and blanket . Wish the had hbo though . Breakfast was awesome and the girl that checked me out was just a sweetheart . Overall great place !!! I'd def recommend this to others

• Stayed February 2013