“Call this a non-stay review”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Lafayette
Effingham, Illinois
“Call this a non-stay review”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We had 2 rooms at this hotel for this evening guaranteed at a discount rate of $80 but when we arrived were told the best rate we could receive was $150 per room. We were quite disappointed and canceled our rooms. It doesn't seem to be good business to change the reserved room rate on guests. I do not recommend this hotel given our experience.

• Stayed October 2011
TriciaLCS, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
I am so sorry to read of your situation. If you could contact me at the hotel directly I'd like to discuss your situation further. Again, I apologize.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbia, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed here after cancelling our reservation at another motel down the street. The price was good. We had a large room with 2 double beds. The room was clean and AC worked well. The pool had a film on top of the water so I didn't get in. Didn't ask what the problem was. We went to Denny's for breakfast because the one at the motel didn't look too appetizing.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for an upgrade if the place isn't real busy
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
TriciaLCS, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
I’m so sorry for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately our pool was closed for a brief period. I am happy to report that the pool is up and running again. I am also looking into your concerns about our breakfast. I am sorry that it did not meet your standards. We appreciate your comments as they can only help us to improve. We hope that you will give us another try when you return to the area.
Clinton
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Eh. That's the best I can muster for this hotel. Front desk was empty the day we arrived and had to ring a bell to get someone to come out. She seemed annoyed that we were checking in. Room appeared to have new carpet, nice. But tiles and paint chipped in various areas. Doors chipped.no sheets for the sofa bed. Had to go down to get them. Would have been nice to at least have them in a closet in the room.

The beds are doubles and that mattress,oh that mattress. It was so soft it felt like a trampoline.

The morning crew was slightly more pleasant. Kitchen staff wonderfully friendly and had a clean set up for breakfast.

I don't require much for a one night stay. Clean,quiet and comfy. The only one they hit was quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Lafayette hotels

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The lobby and breakfast area had all been re-modeled, as well as the guest rooms. The rooms had all new furniture and new carpet. The pool area had been re-painted. Out back, they have an under-used large terrace and gazebo. And these faced a wooded area and was private. They could really do so much more with it. There was no furniture out there or anything. Maybe a grilling area, or something like that. Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Kohler, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Stay started with incompetent front desk staff, long wait due being unable to manage check-in and phone calls. Room was AWFUL!! Paint chipping off bathroom door handles, finish off both sides of bathroom door, tiles glued back on by shower with huge gaps inbetween. Dont peek out the window, paint and texture slopped everywhere No "breakfast" seating. Front desk personnel trying to fix the waffle batter dispenser with her bare hands. Breakfast gal was emptying garbage and then touched the food area without a hand washing. Terrible breakfast, eggs looked rotten and like they had been sitting there for days. Left asap. This was a mid point to our destination. Convenient on/off interstate. However, I could hardly sleep because it was so gross. I can imagine that the $35 rooms advertised on the interstate could have been any worse that this $80+ room. I understand that comfort inns are not high end but this was terrible. I have stayed at other Comfort Inns that were basic but clean and well maintained. I complained and asked for a refund, I was told that there was no manager on-site and that nothing could be done. I would need to come back after 10pm. I contacted the corporate office today and started a complaint process. Save yourself the trouble and stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 November 2010

I booked this room for my daughters birthday - doing a "spa" theme and having girls come to stay the night. I was told months in advance if I booked the rooms and made note that I needed them together (connecting) It would not be a problem but to call the day before to make sure it was noted. I did that and the day before the party I was told she wasn't sure if I would get the rooms or not.... Nice.... I stressed for 24 hours and did get the rooms but it might have been better if I had NOT.

The elevator opens and we weren't sure if we could step on the floor as it was cardboard and duct tape.... with grossness on the walls... up the the second floor and when the elevator opened I wanted to cry. Table saws, bathroom sinks, matresses, lumber, light fixtures, dryway, buckets and you name it crowded the hallways of this hotel... We had to walk AROUND these things to get to our room.. There was dirt everywhere and drywall dust all around - looked like it had not been vaccumed in months. Open our room and it smelled like an ashtray - SO BAD that we had to leave the door open and try to air it out a little before we could even be in there... our second room didn't smell so bad but both were in bad bad shape. There were construction workers staying in the surrounding rooms who liked to lay on their beds with the doors proped open as they watched TV... This was the worst possible place I could have picked... We stay at comfort suites all the time and I have never seen such a small "SUITE".... this was a normal size hotel room with two beds and a couch CRAMMED into it... no room to even walk around at all.. the mini fridge was there but wouldn't even hold a half gallon of milk... smaller than a dorm fridge. The rooms were so dirty and gross I was beside myself. This has to be the worst experience I have had. Parents did not want to leave their kids in the middle of this giant mess. They really should have closed the hotel or at the MINIMUM this floor while the renovations were going on. I can't believe I had to even pay to stay there. You would think the management would have more consideration for their guests than to have people smack in the middle of a construction zone... it definitely needs remodeled.. its filthy and gross - the rooms are falling apart but close it down - I don't want to walk around old toilets to get to my hotel room!

• Stayed October 2010
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 15 November 2010
We are concerned about the problems you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. As you mentioned, we are currently undergoing a major renovation which is scheduled for completion in the middle of December. We are working around the construction to try and maintain the high standards that are expected, and provide you with the updated rooms you deserve.

Once again, I do apologize and hope that you will give us a second chance to enjoy the fruits of our new look when completed.
West Chester, Ohio
Reviewed 8 November 2010

With our son being a junior at Purdue, we've been coming to the Comfort Suites for 3 years. We keep trying other hotels, but consistently find that the Comfort Suites has the right combination of facilities, location, and reservation policy that best meets our needs so we always end up returning. They are almost done with renovating the hotel, so new furniture and decor are further improving the experience.

The staff is very helpful. Each room has a refrigerator and microwave -all new after the renovation. Having both of these is one of our requirements for a hotel. Our son is in the Purdue Marching Band, so we often provide food for his trumpet rank on game day. The beds are comfy and the rooms are all very well kept and clean. The breakfast is OK, with cereal, waffles, and another daily warm choice (Egg McMuffins, biscuits & gravy, etc.) but it is usually of just average quality. Note that the renovations are almost complete, with completion probably mid-November. There have never been any noise or other issues in the evening, but if you were wanting to sleep during the day, I would call first to see if they are completed. All in all, we have been pleased with our experiences at the Comfort Suites and will continue to come back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 11 November 2010
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel. We love hearing feedback from our guests! We are so happy that we have been able to accommodate you over the past 3 years. It is such a pleasure for us to be able to offer brand new rooms to our guests. We are glad that you got to experience the new room on this visit.

As for our breakfast, we are striving to make improvements everyday by offering a variety of new and different items. We hope that on your next visit you see a positive change in that area as well.

We look forward to seeing you again!