“Comfortable place to hang”
Review of The Blue Heron Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in LaPorte
The Blue Heron Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in LaPorte
Skokie, Illinois
“Comfortable place to hang”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I met a group of friends here and was very happy at the Inn. The staff was friendly and usually helpful. The decor was dated, but my room and bed comfortable, the refrigerator and AC worked well, etc. I didn't try the jacuzzi. One of my friends stayed in a boathouse and it was fun watching the turtles.

The breakfast was just OK. I did not eat the eggs or sausage, but heard that they were good. All of the cereal and yogurt were generic brands and sweetened. One morning the only yogurt that was out was a carrot cake Kroger brand. The also served canned fruit coctail, muffins, sandwich bread, etc. You aren't going for the food, but rather the homey comfort.

Had a nice time on the pontoon boats, but the reservation system isn't too clear. We had reserved a boat but didn't try to take it out until about 2 PM in the afternoon. The front desk staff said that they guy at the dock went home and we couldn't go out until the next day. We were not notified of the cancellation and the person at the front desk said that she only took names for reservations and couldn't give more information about the hours that the boat dock staff worked, etc.

There is a computer and printer in the lobby.

I did not go to the fitness center, but heard that the treadmill wasn't working.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nursefine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My mother, sister and I wanted a one night getaway. We chose the Blue Heron Inn for the "Boathouse" experience. Our check in was smooth. The desk clerk escorted us to boathouse and showed us where breakfast would be served in the morning. The boathouse was clean. Part of the ceiling wallpaper was starting to peel and the carpet was old. The TV was not a flatscreen and it had a VCR. The room consisted of a queen bed and a sofa sleeper. The bathroom was very nice. It appeared to be newly remodeled. The boathouse has sliding glass doors that open up to the deck. The view was great. In the morning we looked out and saw 5 turtles swimming and many fish. It was a fun experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank havinfun21
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was the worst place I never stayed. Roadtripping with my friend. Paid 80 for a room. Walked to the room. Saw there was no lock. Mold in the bathroom. Hair in the bed. Did not feel safe at this hotel. Walked right downstairs within 10mins and asked for my money back and they would not give me a refund. I asked for a number for a owner or manager. And I called them to get my money back and it just went to the hotel that the rude guy at that I just spoke with. Never spend a dime here

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Hotels99781
jlwine
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed for just one night as I was in town to attend a wedding. When I arrived I stood at the front desk for at least 90 seconds while two employees had a conversation between themselves before anyone even acknowledge my existance.
The room was clean but very dated. Room had a 15" CRT TV and a VCR! Most annoying of all however, was the fact that the air conditioner fan turned off everytime the compressor cycled on and off. This unit was not quite so it woke me up every ten minutes as it turned on and off. Truly, the worse night sleep I ever had in a hotel. Finally at 4am I turned the air off altogether and just sweated so I could get at least a couple of hours sleep.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jlwine2
shelby twp mi
Reviewed 5 June 2012

One of the best values in my travel of 3 states. This hotel is spotless and the staff is fantastic. I have stayed here several times over the last several years and I thought I should share this with others. The view of the lake makes this by far one of my favorite places to stay when Iam in Indiana!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank frankieguy
indiana
Reviewed 25 April 2012

my husband and i discovered this hotel about 5 years ago for our anniversary and to be truthful we enjoyed it so much that we go back at least once a year since then, food is great at T bones and the staff is great my husband is a early riser in the mornings and he goes down stairs and they make him feel like he is at home

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dhiers
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Go by here frequently on our way to Chicago but this was the first time we stayed here.

This is a single owner business not a cookie cutter chain.

They style is very casual so if you like things more formal this may not be for you--I like the causal style.

The price is very reasonable. $150 for a large suite. Rented a suite on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the lake. Very pleasant to sit on the balcony and read. Room had a table that we moved onto the porch and that was very convenient. WiFi worked great. No movie chanel but we have Netflix and I carry a HDMI cable with me when I travel in my computer bag so streamed things from my laptop to the flat screen TV with no problem. It has an HDMI port. The living room is sizable. About twice the size of one at a Homewood suites. Has a little kitchenette with a small refrigerator and a sink and a microwave. Brought silverware and dishes back up from the free breakfast and we ate out on the porch overlooking the lake.

It's causal in that you carry your own luggage but I prefer not to have to deal with doormen and valets. You get your own breakfast a la Hampton Inn from precooked warmer trays. Standard but good. Eggs with cheese, English muffins, orange juice, coffee, pastries, sausage.

For the price and the size of the living room I prefer it to something like a Homewood Suites.
The restaurant was nice--T Bones-and has a large selection and wine list. I had the duck which was very good. You get a partial view of the lake from the restaurant but there is part of the building that blocks half the view.

One thing to know about the restaurant is that they are open till nine but start closing down around 8 to it is better to get there before or at 7PM if possible.

If you are travelling LaPorte is on Central Time like Chicago and the parts of Indiana to the east of LaPorte are on Eastern Time like New York City so you have to take the time change into account. We were coming from Pittsburgh so just as we got near LaPorte the clocks went back one hour.

Overall for the price, the room, the view and the restaurant were very nice. If you are looking for fancy this is not the place but if you want relaxing and reasonable with a large sized room at a decent price sitting on the edge of a pretty lake, this is great.

I noticed the most negative reviews were mostly from 2009. Can't speak to that directly but all the recent reviews have been pretty good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PFDJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaPorte
Hampton Inn La Porte
No photo provided
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
Blue Chip Casino and Hotel
#4 of 16 in Michigan City

Been to The Blue Heron Inn? Share your experiences!