“Great Place for a Business Retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arbor Hill Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Arbor Hill Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 LaPorte B&B and Inns
Maine
“Great Place for a Business Retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I just finished hosting a two-day writing retreat for 12 people at this beautiful inn. I’ve coordinated these meetings across the country, and this may be the nicest venue I’ve found. It’s tricky finding a good site for 10-12 people. Most bed and breakfasts have less than 8 sleeping rooms, and when you host a small meeting within a larger resort you’re often stuck in a sterile conference room much of the time.

We had the run of the place at Arbor Hill. The inn is beautifully maintained and elegant, with great attention to detail. Yet Kris, Laura and the entire crew aren’t the least bit fussy about the inn. They encouraged us to make ourselves at home, and rearranged the furniture in the main room to suit our needs. Almost all sleeping rooms are spacious, and many are suites with separate lounge areas for smaller groups or one-on-one time. We had the inn cater all our lunches and dinners, and the food was delicious. They readily accommodated our needs for one vegan and one kosher meal at each gathering, and it was so convenient to have all meals on-site. The Indiana dunes are 30 minutes away for a fun break, and we also made good use of the Soldier Memorial Park hiking trail which is on a lake less than two miles away. The coffee addicts in our gang appreciated the local Starbucks, which was a twelve-minute drive from the inn. Even though it was somewhat stormy during our stay, the wifi worked well in both the main building and the guest house. Because all our needs were met and our expectations exceeded, we accomplished more than we had hoped for during our time together.

I highly recommend the Arbor Hill Inn for group gatherings. Rates are reasonable (especially mid-week) for renting the entire facility. It’s clear Kris and her crew enjoy their work, and it was a pleasure to be at a place so well cared for and lovely. We’ll be back!

Room Tip: The suites on the second floor of the main building are especially nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much! We so enjoyed your group. It was our pleasure to be chosen for your hosting venue. We are also so happy you enjoyed your meals and the service. We will always do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions or preferences. Thanks for letting us know in advance of the special diet folks - it gave us time to prepare for them. We are so glad you will be returning next year for another Retreat! See you then!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Whitehall, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this immaculate classic inn. Peaceful country setting just 5 miles from I-94. The hostesses were friendly and helpful. Our breakfast was delicious. The price was very reasonable for such a nice place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Kathy,
Thank you so much for your review! We certainly hope to see you again on your way through the area and again, thank you so much for your warm review - we truly do appreciate it!
LaPorte, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We live 20 minutes away and decided to stay close by since we have aging parents that need our constant attention and can't be too far away. We stayed in the WA Jones Retreat for our anniversary last weekend. The room was amazing - stone fireplace, big whirlpool tub, king bed, and our breakfast was yummy. Stuffed French toast with a cream cheese filling that just oozed out when we cut it. The Innkeepers were so friendly and helpful. They recommended Spire Restaurant for dinner and WOW- it was amazing too! Overall, I would go back in a heartbeat. Can't wait for our next stay! I wish anniversaries came more than once a year.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you so much! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again! We are also pleased that you enjoyed Spire Restaurant. We are lucky to have such great restaurant/golf partners and are always so pleased out guests have enjoyed them as well! Looking forward to your next stay!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I've stayed numerous times at the Arbor Hill Inn because it feels like home instead a hotel. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the beds are terrific. There are always fresh cookies in my room waiting for me. Breakfast is always Devine! Have you tried the stuffed french toast? Amazing!!

• Stayed May 2014
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad that you feel at home when you stay - that truly makes us so happy! Can't wait for your next stay - your cookies will be waiting!
Grandville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Arbor Hill Inn for a much needed respite. Communication after our booking was excellent. We were warmly greeted and found our hostesses to be friendly and anxious to accommodate our needs.
We stayed in the Serengeti room in the Guest House. The room was large, comfortable and well appointed. We especially enjoyed the gas fire place, the private balcony and the wing backed chairs.
The bathroom had a very nice shower, but the jacuzzi tub was not as comfortable as our 25 year old jacuzzi tub at home. The iron "ring around the tub" after use was off-putting. The toilet seat had a worn spot and would be more comfortable if it were updated to a high toilet. What counter space there is was taken up by a coffee maker. I would suggest a small table to the left of the sink to hold toiletries. In addition, when you are spending $219 per night, you expect high end, luxurious bath towels.
I have to agree with other reviewers who found the breakfasts paltry. We were served a large glass of orange juice but the only fruit on our plates both mornings was half a strawberry, a quarter of an orange slice and a one inch wedge of fresh pineapple. I would have loved a bite of strawberry with each of my bites of waffle and stuffed french toast. I expect real cream served for coffee instead of non-dairy coffee creamer and it would have been lovely to be served a selection of sweet rolls and sweet breads.
Our dinner was delicious. My husband had the beef chausseur (very well done; we prefer medium rare) and I had the raspberry salmon which was delicious. We shared an exquisite baked brie for an appetizer, enjoyed our delicious salads but the rolls were merely sliced baguette. We took our grand finale truffle back to our room where we thoroughly enjoyed it two hours later.
The best part of our weekend was the couples' massage provided by Kim and Terri. They were masters of their craft. We also enjoyed walking around the grounds.
We will choose to travel to other destinations rather than return to a very depressed appearing LaPorte.

Room Tip: I would definitely suggest avoiding any room in the Guest House. You can hear every bathroom noise a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a review! We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner and the couples massage - both wonderful for a relaxing weekend. Thank you also for the tips for the bathroom and breakfast as well - we truly appreciate them! It was a pleasure meeting you and again, we appreciate your input! Thanks again!
South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

What a perfect place to have some RR on my birthday. After a day of
Christmas shopping this was a great place to stop. A great relaxing Jacuzzi bath
and a fire at the foot of my bed. What else could a girl ask for? Lovely NorthPointe
room quiet and cozy. Perfect! I will be back in the spring/summer for a repeat
experience. Chris was my welcoming hostess. Very nice and welcoming on a snowy
evening. Laura was my morning hostess. Delicious comforting breakfast waiting just for me.
Yum! Wonderful conversation with Laura after breakfast. Felt like I was family there.
Thank you for such a wonderful visit.
From the Birthday Girl!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay! The birthday girl deserved a little pampering on her special day and we are so glad you took a little "me time". We all deserve it now and then! Thanks again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I needed a getaway badly even though I live in Michigan city . The staff was terrific and the grounds were wonderful . I have sickle cell disease and my life gets so stressful . The breakfast was wonderful the room nice cozy and warm and the staff so nice I wanted to adopt them into my family . They really have the best bed and breakfast and staff you could ever imagine ! If you need to stay for a vacation or just the relief of everyday life I would recommend this place over any in Indiana hands down . Do not stay anywhere else and cheat yourself of this experience . We absolutly loved every second here and I'm staying again tomorrow :-)

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Rabbyt1
Kris D, Owner at Arbor Hill Inn, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thanks so much! We certainly enjoyed getting to see you again and look forward to your stay next month! It's so nice to have our guests return time and time again as they begin to feel like friends. Thanks again for the wonderful review - we truly do appreciate it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaPorte
Hampton Inn La Porte
#1 of 2 in Michigan City
Blue Jay Manor
Blue Jay Manor
#4 of 8 in Michigan City

Been to Arbor Hill Inn? Share your experiences!