“No Room Service”

Best Western Plus Laporte Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in LaPorte
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Stayed three nights and two days. On first day noticed no room service despite request sign on door. Complained in the eveneing desk person said she was new did not know why. No apology. Second day despite sign on door no room service, again upon complaint girl at desk didn't know why, no apology. We had to get our own towels and garbage bags and emptied our own. Of course we called front desk for new towels and garbage bags, she said she would be down after 1 hour we went and got our own from her. Very poor service. Planned to stay there in two weeks and decided we would never stay there again. Too expensive for no service.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2010

We made our reservations two weeks in advance, they gave me a price and a confirmation number then when we went to check in they tried charging us 11 dollars more per room. The three girls at the desk did not smile they acted annoyed that we were even there. The bar closed at 9:30pm just because. Over all we did not feel welcomed at all.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank sjstorm
Reviewed 25 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel about 3 year ago or so when it was named something else. I used Priceline to book this room. So I was a little nervous when it said we would be staying there. But when we walked in, we were greeted with a smiling young lady. She was very pleasant and helpful. This hotel has been remodeled since the last time I stayed. The rooms are clean, they have been remodeled and very nice. No more dark dingy rooms. We ate in the bar, staff was friendly, the food was great and reasonably priced. I would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We stayed at the hotel from September 17 through 24, 2009. During our stay, we had problems with the bath draining properly (which I cleared myself), a burned out heat lamp in the bathroom ( I wound up replacing myself), carpets that were not vacuumed from day to day, and bottom bed sheets with red (blood?) stains. I brought the issue of the almost clogged bath to the attention of the registration desk staff for three mornings in a row (9/18, 9/19, and 9/20) without any attention given to the problem. I ended up purchasing a plumbers helper and some drain cleaner to fix the problem myself. I also donated the plunger to the hotel mainenance staff to give them a hint. I don't think the cleaning person ever used the vacuum cleaner in our room.

I know this is harsh, but when issues are brought to the attention of the staff over several days, and nothing is done, nor any explanation given as to why nothing is being done (maitenance person is sick, too minor to address, just don't want to do..etc.), then I have a problem with the staff.

Attention to detail would have made our stay just fine...but the lack of attention to room issues is just not acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
WONDERFULLaPorte, Manager at Best Western Plus Laporte Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2011

Let me start by thanking you for completing Trip advisor feedback regarding your stay at our property.

I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. We have made a change in staffing to ensure that the best care is being provied to our guests' rooms. Because of the changes that we have made, our Housekeeping staff has received The Housekeeping Excellence Award for 2010 from Best Western corporate.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at (219) 362-4585.

Patricia Thornton

Reviewed 3 August 2009

The rooms were more than adequate and featured an LCD television, microwave, refridgerator, etc. Pretty much all the amenities were there. The bed was nice and comfortable. We utilized the fold-out bed (couch) and it was as to be expected... Not great but those things rarely work well so nothing to blame them about.

As far as what accomodations are available in LaPorte, IN, this was probalby one of your best options. Be prepared though because even the locals there like to rent rooms to utilize the pool so there are generally a lot of kids running around unattended, sometimes pretty late at night. If you call the front desk though, they will send someone to try to curtail the craziness.

Also, being from Ohio where it's not legal to smoke in most public areas, it's a different environment there and most everyone seems to smoke. They light up in restaurants, by the pool, in all common areas and even on floors that have been designated as non-smoking floors. A little frustrating for the non-smokers but smokers will love this hotel!

The in-house restaurant does a nice job and the staff there are friendly and try to accomodate you as best as possible. The food is pretty decent too!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank kealey1318
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Beautiful hotel. There are new owners and the place has been totally redone. The room was spotless and equipped with a flatscreen tv, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker. I didn't have time to use the pool area but that looked very nice. The lounge is open and seemed cozy. The restaurant had great food. It was snowing outside and the large fireplace with windows of falling snow on either side was fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank IndyGuna
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaPorte
3 mi away
Best Western Indian Oak
Best Western Indian Oak
#2 of 5 in Chesterton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City

Been to Best Western Plus Laporte Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!