“GOOD STUFF !”
Review of El Mariachi - CLOSED

El Mariachi
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We tried this place due to to a Groupon deal and it was a suprisingly good experience. The place is in an old Ponderosa but has been nicely upgraded. We were greeted with smiles and peeps who spoke perfect english. Nice booth (my only complaint was it a bit bright at the table) with immediate free chips and excellent homemade salsa. Nice courteous young waiter took our order and we were shocked how quickly we got our food. I ordered carnitas and she got seafodd chimi as points of comparison to other places we frequent. Both of us were "happy, happy" (stole from Duck Dynasty). The sides were outstanding and the main course spot on. Groupon worked on this one as we will be going back to try other items.

1  Thank bigrick58
There are newer reviews for El Mariachi

Reviewed 11 October 2012

This location seems to be struggling, and after having lunch there, I can sort of see why. First, the parking lot is a mess: broken and cracked concrete all over the place with grass growing out the cracks...looks rather 'in the hood-ish.'

When I walked in it was nearly deserted. I was greeted pretty quickly and the waitress sat me immediately. Service-wise, I have no complaints as it was friendly, quick and correct. As usual, they brought out tortilla chips and salsa. The chips were warm but burnt. They were actually almost dark brown. The salsa, eh, well, it won't win any awards.

I ordered a glass of water and a combo with a grilled chicken quesadilla and a small side-salad with ranch dressing. She brought out the water and a store-bought bottle of Kroger ranch dressing. First of all, for cryin' out loud, if you're not going to make your own dressing at least put some in a bowl to give the impression that you do. Besides, why would I want to handle a community bottle of dressing? Next, the water has a slight septic quality to it....I work two blocks down the street, and our water's fine; not sure what's up with that.

The combo came out in just a matter of minutes and, well, it was fine; nothing outstanding but nothing that would knock your socks off. The quesadilla was hot and fresh, but the cheese inside was saltier than the Sea of Cortez.

Another thing this location has against it is the horrible traffic and how much of a hassle it is to turn left onto the main road...it's pretty much a pain in the rump.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Ate here while traveling on business. The restaurant was celebrating their one year anniversary and had several items half off. I bought a combination platter with tamale, chicken enchilada, refried beans, and rice. The tamale was the worst I've ever tasted. Complete mush. Tasted like it had been purchased frozen and heated in the microwave. Chicken enchilada was actually pretty tasty. The refried beans were paste with no seasoning or flavor and the rice was the same. Everything was over salted. Chips were okay but salsa was pretty boring.