“disappointing experience”

Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Dockside riverboat casino offers up more than 74,000 square feet of casino gaming including 2,000 slots and 97 table games.
Gallatin, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“disappointing experience”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

my wife and i and friends of ours went to spend two days to celebrate our 54th anaversery. first let me say if you have any mobility issues think again you have two blooks of walking to go from the parking lot to the hotel and then to the casino half which is elevated. in fairnes you can use valet parking but you have to use it for both places seperatly. the resturant was very expensive to ridiculas and the food was lousy everything was alacarte. it is a money hole and no one was winning anything not even to keep you playing it was all your money. the hotel was nice and clean we would never go back and were not unfairly particular we just expect our moneys worth.

2 Thank clarence p

Louisville, Kentucky
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Because of Horseshoe Cincinnati Hollywood is almost a "ghost town"”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I visited Hollywood on October 9, 2013. It was the first time I had been in the casino in nearly a year. I was shocked at how few people were in the place. It used to be a very busy casino. The sparcity of gamblers has all been brought about by the opening of the Harrah's Horseshoe Cincinnati Casino which opened in March 2013. In just 7 short months, Horseshoe Cincinnati has replaced Hollywood as the No. 1 regional casino (by earned gross revenue reported to the gaming commissions). Reports published in the Cincinnati Enquirer state that before Horseshoe Cincinnati opened, Hollywood had 69% of the gaming market but since Horseshoe opened, it now only has a 39% market share. Prior to Horsehoe opening, Hollywood had been the top regional casino for 15 consecutive years. Clearly, Horseshoe has cost Hollywood millions of dollars in lost revenue. I could certainly see compelling evidence of the effect of this competition when I visited.

My wife and I used to play at Hollywood since it opened and prior to that when it was known as "Argosy". Hollywood casino is a beautiful casino with very high ceilings, lavis decor and despite the fact that smoking is allowed (Horseshoe Cincinnati does not allow smoking), we have never had a problem with smoke being in the air. The casino has an innovative celebrity look a like section where dealers are celebrity impersonators (some impersonators do better than others) but it is a fun marketing concept.

The Prime Cut Steakhouse at Hollywood had always been top shelf steakhouse rivaling Jeff Ruby's as the best steakhouse I have visited. However, when I dined there this time my New York Strip was tough and the soup was not edible. It may have just have been a bad day for the kitchen but in light of the sparse gambling crowd I observed, I wondered if management has cut back on the quality of their food.

Hollywood significantly reduced their comps in late 2012. Management also changed the pay tables on their video poker machines to the point where the machines were no longer competitive with what was offered by other casinos in the region. (The casino always has the advantage in any game of course but the change for video poker was radical.) Thus, when Horsehoe opened, my wife and I opted to try Horseshoe Cincinnati. The comps at Horseshoe Cincinnati are incredible. Of course, it remains to be seen how long they will keeping comping players at such high levels. However, for the time being, the outstanding comps (including complimentary hotel stays at such great hotels like Cincinnatian, 21C, Westin, Hyatt Regency and Hilton Nederlands) plus Harrah's Total Rewards player's loyalty program, it is little wonder that Hollywood is a mere "ghost town" of what it was before Horseshoe Cincinnati opened. In this instance, competition has been great for the player. It will be interesting to see how or if Hollywood management opts to respond to this competition.

For right now anyway, if you are looking to gamble in the Ohio Valley region, Horseshoe Cincinnati is by far the superior play.

4 Thank derbycityvisitor
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Las Vegas in Lawrenceburg, Indiana!”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I have been to the Hollywood Casino numerous times....starting when it was known as The Argosy Casino, and now that it has been remodeled and undergone a name change. The entire facility has received a major facelift and looks very attractive and clean. There is a multitude of restaurants and entertainment venues and a good way for one to become familiar is to contact a Casino host to get details about all the features. Safety is not an issue at all and the entire staff is very friendly and helpful in always making our stays very enjoyable. There is ample parking and the walk from the parking garages to the Lobby is fun. The hotel is clean and well maintained and extremely comfortable, we always enjoy our stays there. You must try the steaks at The Final Cut restaurant, they are delicious and second to none. The service is excellent, and the wine list even better. The gaming area is very nicely done and will keep you coming back.

4 Thank DrSiffy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“worst indiana casino”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My husband and I and friends went to Hollywood Casino over the weekend. We have been there 4 or 5 times thinking we would at least break even. It is the tightest casino we have ever been to. You would think that you would win a little, but the slots and video poker eat your money. There were not many people gambling there. I can see why. The pay table on video poker was the worst it could be. I would advise gamblers not to go to Hollywood go anywhere else.
We also went to the buffet and it was not good. We won't go back again.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank sue s
Norwalk, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A bit dated”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

In the past we visited Argosy and then Hollywood when it first was purchased. It was nice then. Now it is run down and there is smoking. The bottom level is for non smokers but the machines are very dated and had many broken buttons. Not appealing at all. The hotel room was nice and it was comped for us but not really worth the trip.

Visited August 2013