“If you are here for any other reason and don't smoke, stay away”

Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Dockside riverboat casino offers up more than 74,000 square feet of casino gaming including 2,000 slots and 97 table games.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This establishment should have a separate entrance and elevator so you don't have to walk through the horrible smoke-filled casino to get to an event at the ballroom or elsewhere.. Every time I want to attend a dinner or luncheon for the Chamber of Commerce I dread it, because the only access is through the casino. By the time I get to the ballroom, I'm coughing up a lung since I am horribly allergic to second-hand smoke. I will not attend another event here, ever.

3  Thank roadtrip6666

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Everything about this casino is good except for the smoke. After spending 4 good hours there one night my throat was sore for 3 days. Its over run with smoke. Other than that MAJOR flaw. the place has everything you need. Oh yeah....you pay to drink. I guess they don't have everything!

3  Thank MRVEGAS711
Reviewed 11 October 2013

my wife and i and friends of ours went to spend two days to celebrate our 54th anaversery. first let me say if you have any mobility issues think again you have two blooks of walking to go from the parking lot to the hotel and then to the casino half which is elevated. in fairnes you can use valet parking but you have to use it for both places seperatly. the resturant was very expensive to ridiculas and the food was lousy everything was alacarte. it is a money hole and no one was winning anything not even to keep you playing it was all your money. the hotel was nice and clean we would never go back and were not unfairly particular we just expect our moneys worth.

2  Thank clarence p
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I visited Hollywood on October 9, 2013. It was the first time I had been in the casino in nearly a year. I was shocked at how few people were in the place. It used to be a very busy casino. The sparcity of gamblers has all been brought about by the opening of the Harrah's Horseshoe Cincinnati Casino which opened in March 2013. In just 7 short months, Horseshoe Cincinnati has replaced Hollywood as the No. 1 regional casino (by earned gross revenue reported to the gaming commissions). Reports published in the Cincinnati Enquirer state that before Horseshoe Cincinnati opened, Hollywood had 69% of the gaming market but since Horseshoe opened, it now only has a 39% market share. Prior to Horsehoe opening, Hollywood had been the top regional casino for 15 consecutive years. Clearly, Horseshoe has cost Hollywood millions of dollars in lost revenue. I could certainly see compelling evidence of the effect of this competition when I visited.

My wife and I used to play at Hollywood since it opened and prior to that when it was known as "Argosy". Hollywood casino is a beautiful casino with very high ceilings, lavis decor and despite the fact that smoking is allowed (Horseshoe Cincinnati does not allow smoking), we have never had a problem with smoke being in the air. The casino has an innovative celebrity look a like section where dealers are celebrity impersonators (some impersonators do better than others) but it is a fun marketing concept.

The Prime Cut Steakhouse at Hollywood had always been top shelf steakhouse rivaling Jeff Ruby's as the best steakhouse I have visited. However, when I dined there this time my New York Strip was tough and the soup was not edible. It may have just have been a bad day for the kitchen but in light of the sparse gambling crowd I observed, I wondered if management has cut back on the quality of their food.

Hollywood significantly reduced their comps in late 2012. Management also changed the pay tables on their video poker machines to the point where the machines were no longer competitive with what was offered by other casinos in the region. (The casino always has the advantage in any game of course but the change for video poker was radical.) Thus, when Horsehoe opened, my wife and I opted to try Horseshoe Cincinnati. The comps at Horseshoe Cincinnati are incredible. Of course, it remains to be seen how long they will keeping comping players at such high levels. However, for the time being, the outstanding comps (including complimentary hotel stays at such great hotels like Cincinnatian, 21C, Westin, Hyatt Regency and Hilton Nederlands) plus Harrah's Total Rewards player's loyalty program, it is little wonder that Hollywood is a mere "ghost town" of what it was before Horseshoe Cincinnati opened. In this instance, competition has been great for the player. It will be interesting to see how or if Hollywood management opts to respond to this competition.

For right now anyway, if you are looking to gamble in the Ohio Valley region, Horseshoe Cincinnati is by far the superior play.

4  Thank derbycityvisitor
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I have been to the Hollywood Casino numerous times....starting when it was known as The Argosy Casino, and now that it has been remodeled and undergone a name change. The entire facility has received a major facelift and looks very attractive and clean. There is a multitude of restaurants and entertainment venues and a good way for one to become familiar is to contact a Casino host to get details about all the features. Safety is not an issue at all and the entire staff is very friendly and helpful in always making our stays very enjoyable. There is ample parking and the walk from the parking garages to the Lobby is fun. The hotel is clean and well maintained and extremely comfortable, we always enjoy our stays there. You must try the steaks at The Final Cut restaurant, they are delicious and second to none. The service is excellent, and the wine list even better. The gaming area is very nicely done and will keep you coming back.

4  Thank DrSiffy