“Amazing Accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clifty Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madison
Clifty Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Madison
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Amazing Accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

After reading the negative comments that people have written, I had to laugh. The complaints that some people have are simply ridiculous. You cannot blame Clifty Inn for the power plant being in the way of your view of the river, or for having to pay a park entrance fee (FYI if you travel during the off season you don't have to pay for the entrance fee!). I don't know what it is about travelers feeling entitled to everything under the sun, but you need to join the rest of us in the real world and realize that Clifty Inn is in a great location and is reasonably priced.

The beds were comfortable, the tv worked, there were ample towels in the bathroom, and the room itself was very spacious. We could all be nit-picky and point out minor flaws that really don't matter but let's be adults about this and understand that not everything is always going to be perfect. I've stayed here a couple of times before with family (I'm a former student of Hanover College) and I have loved it every time. First visit was in late 2008 or early 2009 but I loved it then too. The only difference is I have worked in the tourism industry for three years now and I understand the dedication that goes into maintaining a hotel and providing superb guest service. It's not easy. The service at Clifty Inn was excellent, and as always the brunch buffet is definitely worth mentioning.

Try to get a room with a view of the river if you can because it's magical. If not, no worries- you can always sit in the public areas and see the river from there. There are lots of areas to relax, both indoors and outdoors. There is also a room adjacent to the dining room that has probably around 20 board games for guests to play. I have loved staying at Clifty Inn and next time we're in Southern Indiana, that is definitely where my family and I will go. Side note- the entire park is great for those who enjoy photography (any time of year, but especially when the foliage is red and orange!)

If I have to list any complaints at all, the only thing that was frustrating was that the wifi connection was weak so it took awhile for web pages to load. But unless you're staying here for business purposes, you really shouldn't be on your laptop anyway! Go outside! Enjoy the view and the overall beauty that the park and the hotel have to offer! State and national parks exist so that we can connect with nature...not twitter followers.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river if you can!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Shelby R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My daughter & myself have gone to Clifty Inn now for 3 years. We love to go 3 to 4 days before Thanksgiving-as with Christmas coming. The town so lovely, And the Lodge is wonderful with the Christmas trees & decorations thu out. Love the people that work there also-so Nice. The last 2 years - I have been alittle disappointed that the Hot tub has been closed. I understand it has alot of issues : (. The pool is very nice - but more for the children as it is not heated, I used to love meeeting older people my own age at the hot tub & So relaxing before bedtime. Please Clifty-if you could just Add a cheaper hot tub (maybe on the wood cover:over the original on ? ) it would be so Nice for us older guys. As we love to relax & look out at 'Ol Man Winter also. We always stay on the river side, rooms are always nice & clean ! (not to crazy about the bedspreads-out dated) But, we hope to come back every year : D.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat K
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a wonderful get a way if you truly want to relax. The accommodations are extremely clean and comfy. The staff couldn't be nicer or more accommodating. The food is confirt food.. a wide variety of salads, soups, sandwiches, and entrees. There are plenty of options that can be considered vegetarian.....but just not labeled that way. The views are spectacular from the river front rooms. The town of Madison is full of antique shops .. It is a great place to get away.

Room Tip: Pay extra for riverfront rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Lawrenceburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a wonderful get a way if you truly want to relax. The accommodations are extremely clean, comfortable, and nature-oriented. The staff is great...friendly, accommodating, and caring. The food is regional. There is a wide variety of salads, soups, sandwiches, and entrees. There are plenty of options that can be considered vegetarian.....but just not labeled that way. The views are spectacular. Plenty of fireplaces and corners to steal away and read. Games, books, pool..plenty of things to do. I go here to write..it is a peaceful environment ..... It is my favorite retreat.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Morehead, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

A nice enough place but the exterior looked more like a 1970s college dorm than a lodge. The interior was properly rustic and the rooms were adequate. We had to pay $7 at the park entrance, even though we were staying at the lodge. Breakfast was not included but it was reasonably priced and well prepared. One huge downside is that the view of the nearby Ohio River is blocked by an immense, three-stack power plant that couldn’t be more than a few hundred feet from the lodge. The lodge is not a Hampton Inn and the rooms show a little wear but nothing disastrous. I’d stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the river side that minimizes a view of the power plant.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dennis K
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Our trip to big clifty was a 2 day trip towards the last week in sept, 2013 to Clifty Falls Inn and the great town of Madison Indiana, It was a VERY MEMORABLE trip. Me and my Husband James, drove in from Louisville Ky, WE BOTH WORK AT AMAZON IN JEFFERSONVILLE IND. I had mentioned to the front DESK ASSISTANT MANAGER that I work for Amazon. The morning of our departure she left a note under our door ( dont work too hard at Amazon)! THIS SHOWED me THE STAFF CARES FOR THEIR GUEST.every person who works at big clifty Inn that we met is wonderful and precious and caring towards their Guest ,The food was Excellent and very wonderful, and the dining staff was fantastic and friendly. The housekeeping staff deserves a thumbs up they were so friendly kind and helpful and prompt in changing our bed and so nice. only issue the room we stayed in 224 # had no elevator to that side, iam overweight it was difficult for me to climb the stairs. the pool was clean and nice love the handicapped ramp into the pool. the grounds outside was neat and clean and freshly mowed and just beautiful. i saw a deer the night before we left up against my minivan parked next to the backside of the building. i cant wait to come back i hope very soon. love the town of madison indiana

Room Tip: try and get a patio room book it early, if you cant get a patio room please try and get the side tha...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melissa c
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife & I stayed two nights at Clifty Inn. I'd reserved in advance a first floor, river view patio room. Nice to walk outside and see the beautiful Ohio River + watch the barges go past + see the lights of downtown Madison at night. The smokestacks are fascinating, remarkable feats of construction. Room & overall service just fine. Swimming pool ideal for laps + the water temp. was just right. Very convenient parking. Breakfast buffet had good variety/selection but by ten o'clock some things were cold/stale. (We'll go earlier next time.) Weather during our stay was chilly & gray, but that made the lodge fireplaces real inviting. We enjoyed the park and Madison shopping/restaurants. We will definitely return to Clifty Inn.

Room Tip: We liked the 100 level patio room facing the river. Fourth floor rooms w/balconies would have equal...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rumpunch150
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Hillside Inn
#2 of 7 in Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
#1 of 7 in Carrollton

Been to Clifty Inn? Share your experiences!