“Long time Visitor's Take.”
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I've been coming to Hillside for over 20 years. I remember when it was a basic concrete box. The inside looks much better than it used to but still needs some work. The Staff has always been nice and friendly. The view is, and always will be, spectacular.
In the late 90's the water pipes exploded and flooded the place, sadly the renovation work in 2000 didn't get all the moldy smell out. I've never been to the Restaurant.
The view out the balcony is wonderful. Its worth the price so when you book a visit make sure you stay on the 3rd floor.
I would like to say that Hillside is the nicest place I've ever stayed at but its not. But it is a place that Ive enjoyed for well over 20 years and Im sure I'll be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank UB32UNC
There are newer reviews for Hillside Inn

Reviewed 28 July 2011

If I had not booked my stay at this hotel over the phone I would have turned around when we got into the parking lot. The outside of the building looks like it has not been touched in quite awhile. Since I had already payed, we went inside hoping for the best. To my disappointment it didn't get any better once inside. The lobby was tiny and hadn't been remodled since the 70's. My husband asked if I was expecting The Bellagio and I said "no, but the 80's would have been nice. With trepidation we took the elevator to our 3rd floor room with the knowledge that if I didn't like it we would march back downstairs and ask for a refund.
Luckily the other reviewers on tripadvisor were correct, the room was nice and updated. Not perfect, but nice. They have tried to become a "boutique" hotel by adding up to date linens, bedding and bathroom items. The beds were comfortable and the view was fabulous.
The breakfast is decent if you get there early, it didn't look like anyone came to check on things or replinish once they were gone.. Also, the wifi in the room is very weak.
Overall, the room was a great price, comfortable & clean. You just have to make it past the lobby!

1  Thank vickib373
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My Husband and I have returned to the Hillside Inn for the past 5 consecutive years. Niki Mistry, Manager and staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The accommodations are exceedingly clean, well maintained and the bed is very comfy and relaxing. There is a Continental Breakfast that includes cereal, eggs, toast, yogurt, juices etc. to start your day. We love staying on the third floor to see the fantastic view from our balcony! We watch the activity on Main Street, the Ohio River Bridge, as well as the barges traveling up and down the Ohio River. The luscious hills surround your view and embrace the beauty of the town. The overall experience is fabulous and well worth staying at the Hillside Inn. Bob and Diane

4  Thank food055
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Very clean, nice and quiet, the view is the best in town. Breakfast was the normal free breakfast. They need a restaurant and bar to separate them from the rest!

1  Thank coach56
Reviewed 23 June 2011

It was a nice experience, but we wouldn't do it again. Awesome view, nice amenties, good bed, linens, towels, ceramic mugs, real glasses...nice porch overlooking the river. However, it smelled overwhelmingly moldy and there was no air circulation. It was hard to breathe. Seriously.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank VinGins
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Loved our stay. The balcony overlooking Madison and the Ohio River is fantastic. When we first arrived, our coffee maker in the room didn't work. I called the front desk and within 2 minutes someone was there to take care of it. They couldn't fix it, so they brought us a new one. The place was nice and quiet, bed was comfortable, and I can't say enough about the balcony. We'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We just asked for a nice, quiet room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Foxpure
Reviewed 10 April 2011

We stayed here one night in April 2011. This was a repeat visit, but the first time we had stayed in a queen deluxe room with whirlpool. Room was lovely, comfy, and very clean. The view from the balcony is splendid both day and night. Breakfast is very basic, but that's fine with us. A real pleasant place.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank herestoadventures
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Comfort Inn Madison
Hampton Inn Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
#1 of 7 in Carrollton
Holiday Inn Express Carrollton

Been to Hillside Inn? Share your experiences!