“Once was a great hotel”
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Madison
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My wife and I returned to the Hillside Inn after 11 years to celebrate our anniversary. Yes the hotel is in great location with a great view of the Ohio River and is a historic hotel. We paid $ 200.00 per night for a 3rd floor Suite. The problem is that the hotel is very run down and it does not appear the owner has put a dime into the hotel since our last visit 11 years ago. The carpet was very dirty and worn in the hallways. In our suite the wallpaper was coming off the wall and had very dated and dirty carpet. Very old and grungy looking ceiling tiles as well. I would expect this from a $ 65 - $75 a night motel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mototc

Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband was absolutely disgusted with the hotel, the staff, and management. There were bugs in our bed and they aren't from having the sliding door open. WE NEVER OPENED IT!
We didn't even use the room, but because we checked in three hours earlier they would not give us a full refund. We had gone to eat right after check in and returned to our room, pulled down the sheets and YUCK... sure didn't make for a nice honeymoon.

I would like everyone to spread the word..don't stay here, cancel your reservation if you are staying for the chatuguqa of the arts.
I might add that I called the hotel two times afterword to get the owne or manager to call and they have yet to call. REMEMBER SPREAD THE WORD....DO NOT STAY HERE...BUGS!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cityboy1212
Reviewed 8 September 2013

It's an old building but the big draw is the view from the third floor. Very clean, breakfast is just adequate at best, convenient location to many shops. A little pricey but the view is really pretty at night.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

You have this huge river next to a small town at the base of a hill in which you can gaze at old architecture, tour historic landmarks, and eat at non-chain restaurants. There is this hotel on the side of the hill that looks down at the whole town while you are doing all of this. It is kind of like the "Hollywood" sign as you can spot it from almost every point in the town. The appearance, alone, makes you want to say, "hey, I want to stay there." So, my wife and I took part of a weekend trip and stayed at a room in the Hillside Inn.

The owners of the hotel could take an approach like, "We don't need to put much care into the facility as it is the most obvious place to stay in town. We can just charge outrageous prices to tourists and claim that you are paying for the view and history instead of getting a comfortable stay." But they don't. The room we had felt like one of the cleanest, updated places we have ever stayed at. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean, the TV was clear, the air-conditioning worked, and the balcony was large. The breakfast was served in the large banquet room and had a continental breakfast as well as a waffle iron, bacon, and sausage. If you really want to pick apart the hotel and find something bad with it you can say that you occasionally hear the plumbing run from other rooms when you are in the bathroom. You may lose water pressure and temperature slightly while taking a shower, but these things were minor. We had no major problems staying in the room and it was quite comfortable.

The main reason to stay here and the unique factor comes in the private balcony. It is just cool to go on it and look out at the town, river, and bridge. That is the reason we stayed at this place. From the pictures on the wall it looks like the place was built in the 20's, but it had been extensively renovated to be unrecognizable to the original structure sometime in the 60's or 70's. As the years have rolled on the trees have gotten taller and I'm betting the views of the river are not as spectacular as they might have been in the past. From our first floor view we actually could not see the river except for at the bridge. Even the view downtown was blocked by a tree that stood alone in the front yard of the inn. But, the view we did have of the bridge, hills, and rest of the town was nice enough to not have me wander down to the front desk demanding another room (but I would suggest to others while booking the rooms to ask for higher floors).

I would definitely suggest people visit this hotel if they are staying in Madison, IN. And while they do not have some the amenities that other hotels provide like pools, restaurants, or gyms, the uniqueness and cleanliness of the hotel will leave you happy with your stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have stayed at the Hillside Inn before, and stayed there again this weekend. I've always been satisfied with the quality of the room and the service. This time my girlfriend and I were especially satisfied with the bed. The mattress was firm, the bedding was clean and fresh and the pillows were very comfortable! The Hillside Inn is an aging beauty, I'm sure was stunning in it's day. Today it's a little tired, but overall well maintained. If you are expecting the Crowne Plaza, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a decent, locally owned and operated hotel....I think you'll enjoy your stay. Oh....it's also a short walk to the Key West Shrimp House (if you don't mind walking up a hill)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you are looking for a standard, quality hotel, stay at a Holiday Inn. The Hillside Inn is a little outdated but still quaint with a lovely view of the Ohio River and the town of Madison, Indiana. I did find a bug in my room upon my arrival and killed it quickly. I let the front desk know and they were very accommodating and asked if I would like to move rooms. I inspected and didn't see any other bugs and decided to stay put.
I very much enjoyed my room with the whirlpool tub. It was very relaxing and the terry cloth robe and slippers were a nice bonus!
The free breakfast is as you would expect, but they did have a waffle maker and yummy bacon so it was a nice addition.
I plan to stay here again on my next visit to Madison. For the price and location, it was well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rosehipgirl
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My sister and i made reservations in July 2013 upon arriving and going to the room it was digusting the floor had iron marks in the carpet and trash in the garbage cans .I called the desk to inform the of this and they asked if there was trash in the other cans. We went back to the desk and told them we weren't going to stay we were charged 1 night stay at 119.00 It was the most horrible experience we ever had the room smelled and was dirty. I wouldn't ever tell anyone to stay there. The staff was rude and not friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank diana e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Comfort Inn Madison
Hampton Inn Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
#1 of 7 in Carrollton
Holiday Inn Express Carrollton

Been to Hillside Inn? Share your experiences!