“The Perfect Greasy Spoon”

Hinkle's Sandwich Shop
Ranked #8 of 71 Restaurants in Madison
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We ate breakfast on the diner side, but they also had an attached restaurant side available. We actually saw our food being made by the short order cook. Everyone very friendly and food was excellent! Known for their hamburger, but we didn't get on..:(

There are newer reviews for Hinkle's Sandwich Shop

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Basic good food, in a friendly casual atmosphere. Not gourmet by any stretch, but great dining for those that like to avoid chain restaurants. Full of local color, right on the main drag, nice breakfast.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Coming into this I thought this would be a lot like White Castle. I was wrong. They are lightly flavored just enough to give your tastebuds some excitement. The chili was impressive too. By the looks of this place I was skepitcal but after seeing the customer service shine and the food tasting good, I will come back when I am in the area.

I recommend this!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Being a Madison native and now living on the East Coast, Hinkle's is always one of my first stops when I come back home. There's really nothing bad on the menu and the prices are always reasonable. It's your typical greasy, grimey, completely unhealthy, drunk food place. My breakfast favorite is the half order of biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and home fries. The burgers and cheeseburgers are AMAZING....even when you're sober lol. I haven't had a milkshake here I didn't like but I'm especially partial to the Ande's mint one. Hinkle's is open 24/7 Thursday-Saturday, closed Sunday. Our recent wedding was on a Sunday and the cooks were gracious enough to come in and not only cook us 200 sliders for the end of the reception BUT also delivered them! Can't beat this place....a must stop when visiting Madison....be sure to eat in both the bar area and the dining room.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

the first time we went to Hinkle's my hub and I were in love with the food and atmosphere. It has lost a bit of that appeal every time we've went since. The food is cheap, but not as flavorful and there is usually a long wait time just for a burger. The place is small and it gets VERY crowded. We may stop in next time if we are starving, but we'd like to try some other local eateries instead.