“Always Pleasant”
Review of Turkey Run Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marshall
Turkey Run Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Marshall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was about our 7th time to stay there in over 25 years. We have seen the cabins been recently renovated stage and in a rundown stage. Right now I would say the one we had was in need of restoration. The mattress was really lumpy and squeaky. We ate 4 meals in the Inn and they were good. Three times from the menu and once in a buffet. Found the food good as did most of the people sitting around us as I heard favorable comments. Check in went well but one person at the desk I think the manager had a little bit of an attitude but still went well. It was nice sitting in the lobby playing games, putting puzzles together and swimming as a family. Do not expect a three star establishment but rather remember this is a state park with the added convenience of hiking trails, nature, and beautiful scenery.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank One2travelUsa

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This was our first visit to Turkey Run State Park---i had heard about it for many years, but never got a chance to get down there till now.....

My wife and 2 young boys stayed at the Turkey Run Inn for a quick overnighter. We managed to get the last room at the last minute, which was a single queen, with a rollaway bed (and extra $10). Although the room was quite small for a family of 4 (but we managed), it's fine for couples and singles. I read some reviews before we came down and was a little worried---many had stated the rooms were tired and worn out. For the record, our room appeared to be recently, and tastefully remodeled...as did the other rooms in our wing. I took a little self-tour of the Inn and it appeared most, if not all, the rooms in the new wing (new meaning built in 1930) were recently remodeled, and the rooms in the old wing (built in 1920) were a bit older-looking, but not in dire need of remodeling.... Also, i took a peek into one of the nearby cabins, and while they look clean and serviceable enough, i'm glad we got a room in the Inn.......

We arrived very late, so we didn't get a chance to enjoy the swimming pool, but from the looks of it, it was very nice, and enclosed in a newer structure. The common area had a fireplace and games, along with cozy couches and chairs. Since this place is an "Inn", as opposed to a "Lodge", it doesn't quite have the rustic feel of of other lodges i've stayed at in various State and National Parks. Nevertheless, it's a cozy area to hang out.

We had breakfast at the restaurant. I went for the buffet, and my wife had the egg white omelet. She reported her omelet was very good. My buffet breakfast wasn't gourmet by any means, but it was good nonetheless----nice variety of country-style foods such as biscuits and gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes etc...along with fresh fruit and hot and cold cereals.... I would rate it as definitely above average.... The prices were fairly reasonable too.

The grounds around the Inn were drab, but then again it's the early spring mud season... In fall, this place must be spectacular, and i'm sure it looked beautiful this past winter with so much snow on the ground.... Also, the Inn is close to the main trailheads, so no need to drive to the trails.....

In conclusion, the Turkey Run Inn is a nice place to stay, plus the prices are reasonable for a State Park facility. In fact, looking at the price sheet, the bigger rooms with 2 beds and/or kings aren't that much more expensive than the room we stayed in, so if you're traveling with family, try to score one of those rooms.....

Room Tip: Rooms to your left are newer, rooms to the right are a bit older, but serviceable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed here for the weekend over Valentines Day and we loved it. The room was spacious with comfy bed, refirgerator, and sitting area. The downstairs was spacious and had ample area for sitting by the fire, playing games, or snoozing. Lovely place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Spring Break was the perfect time to visit the area. Our stay at the Turkey Run Inn surpassed our expectations. Modern conveniences in the charming setting of a camp lodge. The restaurant was very good and we ate several meals there. Hike the trails . . . the suspension bridge is not to be missed.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our ground-level room in the front corner. Upstairs rooms would have ready access to the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We decided to make a quick stay at the inn before leaving from a camping trip. I got a good deal on one of the "cabin" rooms, so it was an easy choice to stay. The rooms are very simple and plain. Do not expect much here, the free internet does not work, the rooms are out dated, have a odd musty, moldy smell, but they served the purpose.

However, I advise you to complete stay away from the restaurant inside the inn at all cost. It was the worst experience I have had to date, ever.

First, it took about 10 minutes just to get seated, then once seated, we decided to look at the buffet, and after seeing they only provided chicken and pulled turkey as a protein, we decided to order off the menu. Also, I received 2 free tickets for my kids to eat after we checked into the room, and was told to make sure to tell the server before we ordered that we had the tickets, I couldn't understand why I had to tell them before I ordered, I mean if it was free, wouldn't it be free before or after the check came? I figured out why I had to tell them before shortly after we sat down.

After seated, we were given the menus, I found what I wanted and what my kids wanted, and after the server came, who was very nice, Stephen, I asked for my first choice, and they were out of it. So I ordered 3 items off the kids menu and roast beef for myself, I figured it would be quick and easy....not so quick....30 minutes go by and then I was told that the kitchen never started my order, but I could get a good deal on the buffet, which I had already decided I did not want. I asked to speak to the manager, and someone who said she was the manager came to talk to us, however she was busing table since we got there. Very nice person, apologized, stated she would make sure that our meal was comped and said it was not normal that we waited that long. She brought us a cracker basket that my kids seemed to scarf down as if they were refugees in a camp. Seemed as things were going in the right direction....seemed.

About another 20 minutes goes by, and we were told the kitchen was just finishing the spaghetti, the manager then asked what else she could bring, and we asked for dinner rolls to pass the time....dinner rolls came, they were "okay". Then the dinner came (enter scary music here!)

First, my roast beef, baked potato, green beans and a roll, 2/10, for the potato and butter that came with it. The roast beef was absolutely horrible, I think it could have been squirrel with ketchup on it, is what it seemed as. I tried to swallow it, but I could not stomach it.

Second, both of the chicken finger meals I got for 2 of my kids were so/so, fries were cold and soggy, but they ate the chicken fingers, maybe out of pure hunger.

Third, the spaghetti, or actually fettuccine with meat sauce. They did not have spaghetti noodles! My son tried to eat it, but the taste of the sauce was so bad, he couldn't even eat it. Not to mention, the one single meatball that came with it was frozen in the middle!! His bread-stick that came with it, he got about 1/2 of it eaten, and the rest was too hard for his 7 year old jaws to bite through. :(

The only bright side to the whole experience, was the ice cream, it was good.

Perhaps they had a off night, but after reading the reviews on here about the restaurant, and even though we ended up getting the meal for free, I wish I hadn't wasted my time and had food that was actually worth eating. Perhaps that is why they wanted to know if the kids were free before we ordered.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BackYardDad
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I love the feel of state park inns. . . rustic and homey. Turkey Run provides that atmosphere. The staff is friendly, the pool and game room are nice enough, the lobby cozy with several games or puzzles to entertain. There's a nice seating area on the upper porch as well. And here's the "but." The rooms are just average and the restaurant below average. Our room was pleasantly roomy -- two queen beds and enough room for a cot as well. It just needed some TLC . . . it was clean, but showing it's age. The restaurant was below average. Undoubtedly the worst state park inn we've eaten in. We ordered breakfast and half of our food was cold when it should have been hot. The rest was just bland.

The worst part of our experience was due to other visitors, not the inn itself. Maybe an overnight experience is only as good as the people who share your floor. Our hallway was apparently shared by a group of friends or family who thought it was okay to allow their children to RUN up and down the hallway from 10:00 pm to midnight and open and slam doors. For two hours. Straight. While trying to sleep, I found myself counting between pounding and slamming and rarely made it past 100 We teach our children to quietly walk through the hallways any time day or night so as not disturb others. I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that's as far away from the game room as possible. Even on the second floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Indianagogirl
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The room was clean. Nothing extravagant here, but the value was good. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant was great, American buffet style. We didn't go here for the luxurious Inn, we went for the trails, and they were superb.

• Stayed: March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshall
Econo Lodge Rockville
8 mi away
Motel Forrest
Motel Forrest
#4 of 4 in Rockville

Been to Turkey Run Inn? Share your experiences!