“Lovely surprise”

Ranked #8 of 42 Restaurants in Martinsville
Portage, Indiana
“Lovely surprise”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We eat a fair amount of Mexican food and this place was a nice little gem in an otherwise dismal location.

We had a large group of family with us. A few very finicky children who were more than accommodated and the service was very good. The food was fantastic. I wish I had more of an appetite and I would have tried more dishes. The price was fair and while the restaurant does seem a little tired with decor and atmosphere, the food is worth it.

• Visited June 2013

Spencer, Indiana
“Read the Fine Print BEFORE You Order”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I've only been to this restaurant once. And it will be my last.

I was on my way home from Indianapolis and had really been craving chips with guacamole and cheese dips. So I pulled into this restaurant that I had seen many time from Hwy 37. Chips and salsa were brought to my table immediately. Then I debated whether to get a luncheon meal with a dip or two. I opted for the latter and two small saucers of the dips were brought to my table--one guacamole and one cheese. They were good, not outstanding, and the portions were small--maybe half a cup or less.

When I went to pay for my food, the bill was $8.08 which was a surprise. Upon questioning, the cashier said that chips and/or salsa was not complimentary when no meal was ordered. So the chips were not included with either the guacamole or cheese dip and I had to pay extra. I did not leave a happy customer!

• Visited December 2012
michigan
“Surprisingly Authentic Mexican”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

After having many disappointments on this day, we had little hope for this Mexican restaurant in this little Indiana town, and this dining experience was the highlight of our day. The staff was very helpful and friendly, food was true Mexican; menu had items which I have never seen at other Mexican establishments. I hope to have the opportunity to eat here again so I can try some of the other dishes.

Visited October 2012
Monrovia, Indiana
“Good food, but seems a little dirty”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The decor and the awkward set up give you the impression that the food will be awful. In actuality it is really good. The prices are a little on the high side, however you are getting quality and quantity. The wait staff has always been attentive and polite. Our child once ordered a dish that she realized was too spicy once she received it. The waiter immediately took the dish back and replaced her food with another dish. No questions asked only apologies. The dish that was ordered in error was not on our bill either. My husband once ordered a dish that was described as being very spicy. The cook actually came out of the kitchen to see if he could eat it. He did and he loved it. They have delicious and refreshing ice tea as well. Again, it seems dirty but I believe that is only because of the outdated decor, low lighting, and awkward set up.

• Visited August 2011
Sarasota, Florida
“What is such an authentic Mexican place doing here?”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The food is much like what you would find in working-class eateries in Mexican cities and in rural California mom-and-pop restaurants with low-riders parked out in front. It is simply a great dining experience if that is what you are looking for. It is not Tex-Mex and those who learned to think they like Mexican food in major USA chain restaurants might have to get used to it - relatively mild, simply prepared food with the flavors of its fresh ingredients shining through and the heat and fire confined to hot sauce bottles on the table for those who want to add it. Portions are large, prices are not bad and the service has been good the three times I've eaten here while in Martinsville on business this week.

• Visited May 2011