“Amazing hotel for the money”

Comfort Suites Merrillville
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Amazing hotel for the money”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. My room was very clean and well taken care of. They have updated the light switches to be motion activated, a very nice upgrade. I typically would give a hotel if this caliber four stars, but the morning I stayed here the smell if BACON woke me up. It was amazing. I would attempt to get a room close to the front desk if you want the same experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was our second stay at this Comfort Suites in Merrillville. My first review was wonderful this one not so. I can not believe in a few short months this hotel became so terrible. Did they have a change of management?
We arrived and the floor in the lobby was a mess. There was dirt everywhere. The desk clerk was not the friendliest that night. I overlooked it because we had stayed before and had a wonderful experience. I fiqured they did not have time to clean and the mess was just made. The room itself had only one roll of toilet tissue the other roll was almost empty but left in the holder anyway for 4 people. The elevator was really dirty. It needs a good cleaning.

The pool was so cold, we could not even get in for a swim. We were wondering why no one was swimming, we found out quickly. We did complain to the desk clerk, she just smiled and said Oh It Is?

The breakfast was not very well stocked. We had go into the storage room and ask the woman for milk, the pitcher was empty. There was only one container of yogurt and the cereal was a mess.

I am not sure if we would stay here a third time if back in the area. I may look up other hotels next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lovetravel2
comfortsuitesmerrill, Webmaster at Comfort Suites Merrillville, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Comfort Suites Merrillville for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received additional instruction in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• The front Clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which she is to treat our valued guests.

• Additional measures have been taken to ensure the best cleanliness and proper amenities in the rooms. All rooms are being thoroughly checked before a new guest is checked in.

• Pool staff was informed about the problem you face. They were informed to look into the matter.

• Breakfast staff received additional training on presenting the breakfast.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Comfort Suites Merrillville. I think you will be greatly pleased. We shall look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.
Liberty, Kentucky
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I cannot brag enough about the weekend staff here. Paul, at the front desk, was easy-going and friendly. I had to convince him that the minor repairs our room needed were only mild nuisances and could wait until we left for repairs. He did offer to find us another room since one of our lamps did not work and the closet door was on it's "last leg." The bathroom door looked bad due to flat white paint that has quickly grown smudged.

As for the room, the mattresses/pillows were amazing, plenty of room, and there was a microwave and fridge in our double queen/standard room which we had assumed was only in the suites. And NO BUGS! Believe me, I checked. Honestly though, while the hotel was truly clean where it counted the edges of the carpet screamed for the need for a new vacuum cleaner that gets closer to the wall, and the dust on the top of the baseboards and edges of the main stairs call for a weekly/monthly deep-clean which obviously are not part of the routine. If the staff weren't such jewels, I might have been tempted to gripe about it.

The breakfast was wonderful with 3 different hot, savory choices on each of our 3 mornings. Weekenders get disposable table settings (but chocolate waffle option) while weekday guests get real plates, silverware, and glasses. In the lobby, there is always a full coffee station with every choice of Bigelow tea bags and hot water, and a 3-drawer cookie stand. The fireplace in the lobby has real flame and a small lending library for all ages, a great place to hang-out.

The weekday staff seemed younger and a bit offish, but I think probably due to dealing with more business travelers than families. One young man did impress me with his professionalism; despite hearing another guest speak about not dating his race he went about his job despite any feelings he may have had - and it was his first day on the job. ;)

I knew to ask about the hot tub being out-of-order due to past reviews. I doubt they ever plan to have it fixed after all this time. However, I didn't expect (and was extremely disappointed) to find that their work-out room was also "closed due to remodeling." If there is some amenity you are looking forward to, ASK before booking so you won't be disappointed. The pool was open, but it is very small. The interstate noise is easily blocked out by the in-room heat/air unit fan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furthest away from the interstate side for less noise. ASK if their work-out room, p...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Have stayed there many times for business travel, due to convenient location for nearby dining & shopping. Room was clean & quiet, wifi was strong, HVAC was good, & breakfast options were fine.
Told fitness center didn't open until 7, due to noise affecting nearby guest rooms, but could request access earlier, if exercised quietly.
Accessed at 5:30 without need for staff assistance? Ironic that TV was blaring loudly, since remote was broken & it was impossible to reduce volume or change channels.

Room Tip: East side rooms will be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Arizona
Reviewed 5 December 2013

As a Choice Hotel member, I've stayed at lots of Choice hotels. This one was about the same. Some parts of it were modernized and very clean except for the hall carpet which was dirty & disgusting. It had the usual free breakfast which was good. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable.

However....We were on the 3rd floor and the free wi-fi was spotty/sporadic, which is why I put the title I did. We find we don't want to stay in places much anymore where the internet service is not fast and reliable. To us, it's just as important as comfortable beds. If you don't need internet service, then this hotel would be great for a longer stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
comfortsuitesmerrill, Webmaster at Comfort Suites Merrillville, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

We regret that your experience was less than satisfactory. We will take heed of your comments regarding wi-fi.

We are thankful for mentioning all the positive sides which you observed during your stay.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay Comfort Suites Merrillville . I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Monroe, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Very nice room. Pool was very cold, heated but not warm enough. Check in was very slow!!! Close to lots of shopping and restaurants.pool was warm enough for a child to swim but way too cold for parents to enjoy. Quite a bit of noise from upper levels

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Indianapolis North Suburb
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

DH on business and l stayed 2 nights. King room with sitting area, very clean, comfy bed,friendly front desk day & night. Breakfast of standard hot items was good and ready before 6 AM. We were on interstate side and didn't hear traffic. Good value at $ 90+tax (wished we would had stayed here on previous Merrillville trip).

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business