“Clean Cheerful”

Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Bristol Tn
“Clean Cheerful”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My daughters and I we on our way to Milwaukee when we decided we couldn't go any further. We stopped with no reservations and were greeted by the front desk and given a great room. Clean and updated room and bedding. Perfect and reasonable. Thanks for a great overnight stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Larry M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Round Lake
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We passed through Merrillville on the way to FL and wanted a cheap, clean, and hopefully comfortable hotel to get a quick nights sleep before getting back on the road. This fit the bill perfectly. I booked ahead and a 2 queen room(on a Thursday night) was $50. Pretty sure the mattresses/pillows were all new when we stayed(early April). Pretty sweet deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sam S
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Sam S,

Thank you for leaving positive feedback! I am glad that we fit the criteria that you were looking for and that you enjoyed your stay while passing through. You are correct we did update our mattresses and linen during our recent renovation. Thanks again for staying with us, we hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.

All the best,
Paul Zielinski
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I was driving with a friend through Indiana and we had originally decided to drive through the night, but it started freezing raining and we needed a place to stay. After stopping at a local gas station, we asked the gentleman working where to stay and he recommended the Econo Lodge down the street. I have always been weary of Econo Lodges, but was in a pinch and needed a place to stay. I could not have been more wrong and was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the rooms and the kindness of the staff. I really enjoyed the stay and the breakfast in the morning - it was a great way to start the day and get back on the road. This stay will make me rethink how I view hotels. It provided a great port in a storm when I desperately needed one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Alicia Z
Hebron, Indiana
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here but were very disappointed. To begin with our toilet did not flush or the phone work but sporadically. When we called to complain they offered to switch rooms (this was at 8:30 at night. One of our little ones had already fallen asleep). They said they would call us back in a little bit to come up with another solution. Unfortunately the phone did work (again) and we waited for til ten o clock with no answer. We finally fell asleep. Some time during the night we figured out that the thermostat did not work. The "furnace" proceeded to heat up the entire room beyond bearable (it was set on 70). I ended up turning on the air conditioner on 60 to make it bearable (this is the week after Christmas. There is no reason to have the air conditioner on!). The following morning I had a note slide in my front door stated that they could reach my on the phone (it was broke as I had told them earlier). As I checked out, the clerk said sorry and then went back to work. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone else as the condition of the hotel was not something a paying customer should have to tolerate. A broken toilet, a broken phone, filth in the bathroom, ridiculous heat issues, and poor choices for breakfast leave not a lot to recommend about this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank monaoffour

Travellers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Ohio
Reviewed 11 December 2011

For less than $60.00 this would be a great place to stay if they cleaned around the edges. I had seen another comment on here about the same thing. Also it had snowed a little the night before (less than an inch) but when we went to leave at 10:30 the sidewalk right outside the door was completely iced over. My husband is disabled, has to use a walker & still struggles to stay on his feet. I was very concerned about him slipping. When I said something to the men at the front desk, their comment was "Oh does it need salted again". Now if I hadn't been walking in and out for over 1 hour before we left & around the lobby for about 3 hours I wouldn't have known that they hadn't salted earlier either. If it wasn't for that, everything else was fine. I would still stay here again................With a little more attention to the edges, better management & a better breakfast, this hotel could easily get another 25.00 per night.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mprther35
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I recently stayed at this property 11/5/2011-11/7/2011and the staff was very pleasant and professional including the maintenance guy who answered several questions regarding nearby shopping areas. The hotel was clean and smelled clean (which is important to me) and I will stay at this location whenever I'm in the area. The only thing I would suggest is more items served for breakfast. They had muffins & donuts along with coffee & juice. I went to the lobby almost when it was over and their was still enough left. Keep up the good work Econo Lodge and I will continue to spread the word. Plus I didn't have to deal with the dreadful traffic on Hwy 30. Plus the Cracker Barrell & McDonalds is in the same parking lot as the hotel. Great Location!

VLW

Room Tip: I stayed near the front desk since I was a female traveling alone and it was very quiet. I didn'...