“Not the worse place I've EVER stayed”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The Econo Lodge used to be Lee's Inn (from my understanding) which was a "nicer" motel in Merrillville as motels would go. My husband was born and raised in Gary so he suggested we stay here which put us mid-way between his family and Chicago. We arrived on Thursday night after driving all afternoon. The desk staff was VERY PLEASANT and PROFESSIONAL. We signed our "noise and non smoking" clause and proceeded to our room on the first floor. As soon as we opened the door the unbearable smell of cigarette smoke filled our noses. THE ENTIRE ROOM SMELLED LIKE SMOKE. There were tiles missing in the bathroom and there appeared to be a dried unattended spill on the back of the door of the bathroom. I walked back down to the desk and spoke with Ernestine who was really nice and professional. I explained our situtation and told her we'd sleep in the room that night but on the following day we needed a new room on the second floor. She was very understanding. The next day upon leaving we had to take all of our belongings with us and we left the hotel. When we came back the following evening we checked into our new room on the second floor and it was clean, fresh and comfortable.

Upon check out I spoke with Shayla who was also very pleasant and professional. She gave me a discount on my room for the inconvenience and we were on our way. I dont know that I'd choose the Econo Lodge in Merrilleville to stay in again. But what I can say is that the managers should be proud of their employees and recognize them for such great professionalism.

We paid a little over $60 per night and we got a $60 per night hotel. Anyone who thinks they are going to pay that price and get the Ritz Carlton is foolish.

Great Job Econo Lodge staff for making our stay pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room....room 102 needs a "do over"
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank newlywed2011_11

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Over time, we've stayed at Econo Lodges whenever we can and have been well satisfied with both the accommodations and the price. However, this time we got a rude surprise. We were informed that this motel had recently went through a renovation. The location, appearance both outside and in, staff, and check in was good to great. Then, at the west entrance it happened. The cleaning staff were holding the outside entry door open while they smoked their cigarettes. The entry had wallpaper loose and hanging and stunk like some chemical. Just inside the interior entry door was our room door. The hall showed the results of an excellent renovation. Very pleasing. Upon entering our assigned roomed, it was obvious the previous occupant(s) had smoked their cigarettes in there. The air conditioner set on high soon took care of that situation. However, the dirty carpet soon turned our white socks black, the sink didn't have a stopper, and the bathroom floor was missing some tile and had chunks of dried tile adhesive sticking up. It appears the renovation didn't include this room. The bed was excellent as were the breakfasts. We are assuming this room just got overlooked as the rest of the place looked great.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
General Manager E, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention. I have personally along with my maintenance team taken care of these issues. I hope that you will be willing to try us again in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

The shower still has someone's soap and washcloth. No security chain on door. Electrical cover missing. Bathroom tile is grossome. No dryer or towel rack k in bathroom. No light cover on ceiling light. Hallway makes you I'll before you get to the room. Sorry I booked this place. Don't make the same mistake!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

After the terrible reviews I expected a house of horrors. I found friendly staff, huge room with table and chairs, nice couch and reading chair with coffee table, great bed, modern bathroom and immaculately clean.
I could complain that one electric plug was missing its cover, and only one shampoo, or that the hot tub was gone and the pool was cool... But why would I want to?
I walked 100 feet to the Crackerbarrel.. Yum, sweet tea and grits....and all for $ 46.80 !

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Gegegoodlander
General Manager E, General Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are happy to hear that your stay with us has been pleasant. We appreciate your review as well and hope that you will be staying with us again in the future.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

When I checked into this hotel, they asked me to sign a quiet policy that stated I would be responsible for any noise after 11 P.M. and if after one warning, I would have to leave. This policy made it a very quiet hotel after 11 P.M.

Our room looked like the maid had forgotten to finish sweeping but the girl from the front desk came immediately and swept the area.

Breakfast is just bagels, toast, donuts, juice, coffee, and cereal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
General Manager E, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

We're very pleased that you were happy with the quietness of our property. I do apologize for the uncleanliness you experienced and I appreciate you bringing it to our attention so that we can make sure that it does not happen again in the future. We hope that you will be back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with 5 kids. Indoor pool was very cold and hot tub was almost as cold. No pool towels were available. Rooms were big and clean. Two queen beds in each room were comfortable and clean. Breakfast was very limited and was actually completely cleaned out and not serviced. After waiting, they eventually brought out more food. This place is okay if you need a cheap place with clean comfortable beds. Don't expect great amenities or service

• Stayed: December 2012

I apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. We are under new management now and we have made sure to pay extra special attention to all of our feedback. We sincerely hope that you would give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I was appalled to see the garbage can at the front door overflowing with trash, which spilled out along the side of the entrance and onto the walkway. Filth also in the hallways and rooms! I HAVE PICS

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank laurie p

I apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. We are under new management now and we have made sure to pay extra special attention to all of our feedback, yours included. We sincerely hope that you would give us another try in the future as we have made numerous changes since your previous stay.