Red Roof Inn - Merrillville
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed 17 October 2013

as red roofs go, it wasn't bad. I am a traveling salesman and stay with red roof over 100 nights per year. The price/value meets my budget and for the most part the different properties have the locations that fit my needs. This property, is in my opinion, average. room was clean, grounds although where I was located was near the highway and a little noisy due to truck traffic was not bad. One needs to be aware when choosing red roof properties as to weather a red roof property is a corporate or franchise property. Corporate properties are much more consistant.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to hearing from our valued guest about there stay. Your review helps us to understand the things that we are doing right and areas of opportunity that we need to focus on in order to enhance our guest stay.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to the Joliet area.

Red Roof Inn Merrillville, IN
I0015@Red Roof.com

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our drive to Chicago from Purdue. We were in the room less than 12 hours and that was more than enough. Our main complaint was the cleanliness of the room. Dead and alive roly polys were found in the bathroom, throughout the carpet and piled in a corner. Live and dead spiders lurked in corners. A used band-aid was left in the shower, and the toilet was not cleaned from previous use. We checked in very late (1:00 am) and didn't ask for a room change so we can't speak to how accommodating the staff would have been. We have traveled extensively and are not overly picky travelers, but this lack of cleanliness was a first.
Some pros: quick check in late at night, good water pressure in shower, plenty of hot water, late check-out (noon).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I cannot began to imagine your frustration with your stay. A dirty room does not make for a visit and it is totally unacceptable. I am extremely sorry that my staff did not resolve your concerns or that we did not meet your expectations.

I have shared your feedback with my entire staff in an effort to make this an isolated incident. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travel plans bring you back to the Merrillville area.

I0015@redroof.com

Reviewed 11 September 2013

It was a great stay due to the afore mentiond staff help of patsy! I do wish however that would serve breakfast and I did have repeat issues with a front desk worker who was so rude and hateful . But from what I hear no one like her anyways so hopefully by the time you read this she will no longer be working for your grand brand of hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We were pleased to see that your return visit was just as good as your first stay. We take pride in providing our guest with cleans rooms at a reasonable rate.

Again, thank you for your review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to the Merrillville area.

I0015@redroof.com

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Drove up to the building and was ready to cancel my reservation. It looked dirty there were people hanging around garbage in the hallway
But when you stepped in to the room it was amazing clean comfortable. If I had not seen the post giving this place good marks on trip advisor I would never have seen the inside

• Stayed: August 2013
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am extremely sorry that the exterior of our building was not clean when you drove up to the property. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire staff regarding your experience and reiterate to my entire team the importance of curb appeal.

We were extremely pleased that you decided to stay with us and the room condition met your expectations. The housekeeping staff works extremely hard to provide our guest with clean and comfortable rooms.

Again, Thank you for your review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Pubic hair on sheets and in tub, wet towel hanging in bathroom from previous guest
Riff raff hanging around outside all hours of the night. Sketchy..
Website says they had a pool. No pool. Very disappointing after a 11 hr. Drive from NY..

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank cal72mus

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I cannot begin to imagine your fustration after driving 11 hours and we checked you into a room that was not guest redi. On behalf of my team we are extremely sorry. I have shared your feedback with my entire staff and words alone cannot express my disappointment that we did not make you feel confident, significant and delighted or that we did not resolve your issue during your stay.

Again, I am extremely sorry. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Having checked with Trip advisor before setting out and my traveling companions required a Budget Hotel the responses to issues by the general manager of this facility made it the one we decided to use. We were traveling from Grand Rapids back to Florida and leaving the meetings we wanted to get a head start back. So we had two rooms which we stayed from 2030 until 0300, So we did not really check out any of the facility besides rooms. The King room was clean and comfortable , but road noise made for me a tough night to sleep, spouse slept fine, in the comfortable bed. The 2 bed room had the smell of smoke and slightly musty, observing the lower walkway balcony it appeared as though it may have been a parking lot fire in front of the room at one time and the smoke may have entered room and still lingers. Traveling companions staying in this room found it not overwhelming and with issues they have climbing stairs thought this room would be fine and indeed said the next morning that it was not so unpleasant as to effect their sleep. Fine Hotel in price range between two much more expensive properties that fit bill for the quick stop for a few zzzzs for the next days 19,5 hour drive.

Room Tip: King select your best bet
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. As the manager of this property, I read every review, survey, comment card that a guest presents us with and try to respond accordingly. We also use all surveys, reviews, and comment cards as trainging tools to help the entire staff work toward providing our guest with a memorable and enjoyable experience. I am very pleased that the responses to previous guest stays played a role in your decision to stay at our location.

I am glad that you found our rooms to be great for a resting spot before traveling to next destination. Nevertheless, I will be sure to speak to the staff regarding the smell of smoke in your room. I hope that we can be your next resting spot when traveling in the area.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

We were under the impression that this was a 2-star hotel, but it makes us wonder what a 1-star is like. We were very disappointed in the hotel. The persons checking us in and out were very pleasant but that was about all that we would rate highly. For facial tissue, they provide a small package of 12 tissues. There is no hair dryer. The room was very small with little space around the bed. It was on the second floor, but there is no elevator. Staying there felt like we were back in the 1950's. We would not stay there again despite the attractive price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I am extremely sorry that the complimentary kleenex were not to your liking. However, in your you mention the location not having iron, iron boards and hair dryers. We do provide this service in our Superior King rooms for an additional fee, we also have complimentary iron and iron boards and hair dryers available at the front desk for no additional fee. I am extremely sorry if you were not made aware of these additional amentities at check in. Nevertheless, while we do not provide elevator service, we do try to honor all request for ground floor locations preferences should one be available.

Again, thank you for taking the time to fill out a review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to the Merrillville area.