“Just trying to get home”

Red Roof Inn - Merrillville
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
“Just trying to get home”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I stopped here for just one night from a return trip to South Carolina from Minnesota...the lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful...and Brandee Suu our chocolate lab was welcome...the only thing that I was not happy with was....no military discount and the rooms were kind of small but everything else was great.

Room Tip: We were in the king room and it was pretty small for two people and a dog...it would be perfect for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad that Brandee Shu found our Inn to be a great little resting spot.

We always look forward to hearing our guest about there stay. Your comments help us to understand the things that we are doing right and areas of opportunity that we need to focus on in order to enhance our guest stay.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to the Merrillville area.

Janie Noel, General Manager
i0015@redroof.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Canton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For $70 I expect a little more. I would expect some sort of breakfast and a coffee pot in the room, but neither were provided. Room was clean (except for the stick in the corner, still not sure what that was all about) and the lady who checked us in was very nice. The walk ways, stairs and balconies were filthy dirty (exterior). If I would've paid $40 the room would've been a deal, at $70 meh.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am extremely sorry that the exterior of our building was not clean as it should have been. I will be sure to share your comments with the entire staff regarding your experience and reiterate to my entire team the importance of curb appeal.

I am pleased to hear that my Front Desk GSR was pleasant and helpful during your check-in.

Again, Thank you for your review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back to our area.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stay in RRIs all over, and have been a redicard member since the program began. I have been in RRI's that are truly "newly remodeled' and delightful (especially Naperville IL and Madison WI) but this one doesn't deserve that designation. I stayed here 4 years ago and it is virtually the same, but with 4 years of wear showing. Same worn, stained carpets, same ancient noisy air conditioner, same furniture in the room, and flooring and fixtures in the bathroom with dirt and mold evident in the caulking. Here is something new: no blanket on the bed, so if you want more than a sheet you must use the bedspread. I give them credit here - the bedspread did look new. When I arrived at 9pm there were evidently 3 people behind the front desk (I could hear 2 people laughing behind the wall) but only one checking in, and she was in no hurry. There was only myself and another person and it took almost 10 minutes to get checked in. I had to ask for the bottle of water that is advertised as being a perk for redicard members, and unlike every other RRI I have stayed in, the clerk told me she "couldn't" take the safe off my bill until checkout.. This got them their $1.50 extra, since the guy working the desk when I went to check out was equally slow, and I finally said "Look, forget it, I have to go." This is a convenient location, as advertised, with restaurants in walking distance, but I'd say that is about it for truth in advertising.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am extremely sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, and the condition of the property. We have had some improvements in the last few years, such as; exterior paint, carpeting, beds, drapes and TV's. However, you are correct Naperville had a complete renovation and they are now considered a Red Roof Plus.

Again, I appreciate all of your comments and I will share them with my staff. They only way we have to improve is to listen to our guests.

Jane Noel, General Manger

i0015@redroof.com

Travellers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Valparaiso, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and.I stayed here on a last minute get out of the house get away. With last minute concert tickets in hand we chose a hotel with one consideration, price.
Red Roof Inn is not the Hilton, and they don't pass themselves off for it BUT...
When we arrived I thought we had entered a trailer park. A lady is walking her dog at 6 pm in a pair of pajamas while a guy is working on his vehicle in the parking lot. This has been going on long enough he has enough tools around for it to look like a garage.
Our room disappointed. The carpet (Rm 137) was so dirty I refused to walk on it in bare feet and anything that touched the floor went I to a quarantine. All of the caulk around the tub had a bunch of mold on it and the corners in the bathroom were so dirty as to be disgusting. While showering the crowning event was looking up to see a cobweb near the showerhead.
I didn't expect to be amazed but a property should be embarrassed to have a guest see a room in that condition. It is about respect and no "guest" to my home would be subjected to such conditions. Quality control and supervision is very lacking here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I can only imagine your frustration, a dirty room does not make for a pleasant visit and it is totally unacceptable. I am extremely sorry we fell below your expectations.

I appreciate and have shared your honest feedback with my entire staff in an effort to make this an isolated incident. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should your travel plans bring you back to the Merrillville area.

I0015@redroof.com
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Our double room, $63.20 for two including tax, was so small that there was only room for one person at a time to pass in front of the bed, but it was fine for one night, the price was certainly right and it had all the amenities, from wifi to a microwave/fridge with the exception of a coffeemaker. The hotel office had fresh coffee perking early in the morning; it wasn't a huge inconvenience to zip around the corner to get it. Alas, no free breakfast, but I'd rather have it not done at all if it isn't done right. Again this was one of my favorite room configurations, ie the motor lodge in which your vehicle is parked outside your door in plain view. One of the most amazing features was the amount of plugs available. Red Roof Inns have apparently listened to their customer base and what the hotel guests of today need and as such have included add-on plugs so you don't have to be frustrated when you want to charge computers, phones, etc. and there aren't enough outlets. There is also a room-service ordering program and lots of informational features. We enjoy watching some TV after a day on the road and a full listing of programming channels with strong, clear reception is always appreciated. There are numerous restaurants nearby, mostly chain franchises ranging from Hooter's to Denny's.

Room Tip: All rooms are smoke free. On the southernmost side they face a small pond, a nicer view that the sub...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyndi P
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
All I can say is....WOW what a great review!! I thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day, it always make me happy to hear positive feedback from our guest. The staff works extremely hard to provide you our valued guest with a wonderful experience.

Again, thank you for your review and please consider us your hotel of choice should your travel plans bring you back Merrillville area.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Front desk staff very friendly good value for the money clean rooms nicely updated inside nice hot shower no problems with this hotel would recommend many food choices nearby and also right next to the mall.............................

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Lame1
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. The our Front Desk staff will be so happy that you found them to be friendly. We work hard to provide you our guest with a wonderful experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Basic conveniences for a reasonable price.
There was a cold spell, but the heating was quite adequate. Service/maintenance a bit spotty: no attempt to plow parking lot and very little snow removal from door entrances. After the first night I returned to my room at 1pm. As it has not yet been done and I wanted to take nap, I put the "no disturb" sign and yet they knocked on my door to make sure. No big deal.
Wi-fi OK. Table a bit too small and no light. No shelf for toiletries in the bathroom. All in all OK and I did not expect much better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank George4144
jnoel2, General Manager at Red Roof Inn - Merrillville, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to hearing our guest about there stay. Your review helps us to understand the things that we are doing right and areas of opportunity that we need to focus on in order to enhance our guest stay.