“Hmmm ...”

Motel 6 Merrillville
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Motel 6 Merrillville is an okay place if you don't have the money! I stay for long periods of time. There is never any ice because one of the machines is broke and the other is always empty because the construction guys fill their coolers!! Several of the housekeepers - especially the manager's relative (a minor age kid) - is incapable of cleaning the room. He never vacuums and doesn't do toilets! Have to frequently ask for a second go around!! Then the kid wants a tip! The housekeepers don't have a mop on their carts to do the bathroom so the "vacuum" the tile floor!

Beds are comfortable and clean. The manager tries to keep the property as safe as possible. Very well lit parking lot and halls. Motel is smoke free completely now! Love that! The pool is great but it opened late this year.

Wish that no pets were allowed! Can't stand animals or owners that don't leash! Wish they had efficiency units with stoves! Wish there was a courtyard with chairs that was enclosed and open all year round.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bear_671985

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Look...there is no doubt that this is an ECONOMY hotel, but if that's what you need THIS IS YOUR PLACE....especially in this area. We had 3 adults. We looked at others nearby that started much higher and had a substantial charge for EACH of the two additional persons. This place charged $43 / night plus $3 each for our two additional (even cheaper, if you booked for a week! It's no frills, but clean rooms, freshly painted walls, TV, plenty of hot water, (WiFi available, but not free) and reasonably comfortable beds...not plush, but no back ache in the morning (and a bad bed will kill me in an overnight). Merrillville and Gary Indiana are rough places. We read one review of a different economy hotel that said it is the place to stay, if you don't mind having car raided and contents taken. Not so here. They are prepared for the area. Double security entrances. The only slight annoyance was that most every night, we had to have our room card rekeyed... They never said, but that may be an ADDITIONAL security measure!!! If you are staying a while, they even have microwaves and portable 'friges available. We had to be in the area for over a week. Couldn't have asked for better accommodations that didn't break the bank. Even PLENTY of ice in the ice machines.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Wyatt M
Reviewed 28 May 2013

not expecting fanfare or glitz, just a place to sleep for the night. i don't like paying $20-$40 more to get the same hours of sleep so i was glad to find this bargain. the room was clean, customer service was great, and i would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank midnightrosefashions
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have to be honest, my expectations were pretty low for a Motel 6 that only cost me $37.99/night. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of my accommodations.

My room was immaculate... Period. There was no dirt or dust anywhere. I even looked under the beds and found nothing. I've heard horror stories about people getting bitten by bed bugs at budget chains. Not here!

The one thing that really surprised me was the bathroom. I've stayed at pricey hotels and often found the vents in the bathrooms are caked with dust. Not here! There was literally no dust anywhere!

The shower was excellent. Strong water flow from the big shower head.

My bed was very comfortable. I suffer from chronic low-back pain and have woken up at other hotels feeling like I'd been hit by a bus because the beds are so uncomfortable. I woke up here feeling rested and refreshed.

My only issue with this motel was the check-in speed. I booked my room online a few nights prior and arrived at 6:00p. I had to fill out additional paperwork upon checking in that essentially duplicated all of the information I'd submitted when booking online. After completing the paperwork, I had to wait over 10 minutes for my room key because they didn't have a room ready.

However, the woman working the front desk was very polite and apologized for the delay. I didn't mind waiting, and the quality of the room certainly made up for the brief delay.

If you're looking for a great value and don't need anything fancy, I'd definitely consider staying here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank spiffynacho
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This was the first time we stayed in a hotel room that had laminate hardwood floors. It was a pleasent surprise. We had traveled with our dog and cat, moving accross the country. The motel was perfect for our stay. The room was spacious and clean. The staff were friendly. The rate was so inexpensive! We only needed it for one night passing through.
We would stay again if we ever do another road trip. We wouldn't vacation here though, it was just good for a cheap passing through stay!Thanks Motel 6!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

People living there with there dogs,cats,ext,they only clean the rooms,once every 3days,if you want it cleaned daily you have to pay for it...kids running up an down the hall ways,ext..cops came with dogs,an they still have young folks selling drugs...just not worth it..

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Zariamckee
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Other than a really bad vaccuum job throughout this hotel (the area right under the comforter on the bed, hallways, etc.) there was really not a lot to make me say that the place was bad. The strangest thing, though, was the not-so-eye-pleasing hallways throughout the place. There are narrow hallways painted a strange blue - no artwork - looked like the hallways in some sort of government run home or institution. Never gave me the "home" feeling while there because of this. The area must be rough, too, as you can't even get from the lobby to rooms without swiping your key in a security entry lock for the door. Yep, the door from the lobby to the hallways is locked - even with front desk staff right there!

This is a good place for a one night's stop for a sleeper then back on the road - wouldn't reccomend it for a week long stay or a romantic getaway!! Internet service - - -WARNING - - - though the highway signs say that the hotel has wireless internet, they charge you extra for it!!!!

(I travel all over the country with my job, and I contribute on EVERY hotel I stay in. Trip Advisor has been a great tool for me, and I contribute fairly, for both good and bad facilities.)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business