“Great place to stay!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Merrillville
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here just one night on our way to MIlwaukee. This exit had probably more than a dozen hotels in close proximity, just off I-65. Most of the others has had poor to average reviews, and the chain I usually use was way overpriced for the area and day. We were able to find a travel coupon for Country Inn that made it very competitive for a lot better quality. We were very impressed with how quiet it was - no interstate noise at all, and the rooms seemed to be well insulated as we could not hear other guests. It was super clean, the breakfast was substantial, the pool & hot tub were nice, and there were cookies and coffee in the lobby. The front desk staff people were very professional, polite and helpful. Definitely recommend and would stay here again! I would avoid rooms near the pool, though, as the chlorine is rather strong in the immediate vicinity (but not other areas).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Debra D

Reviewed 15 February 2011

The hotel was tucked way back off the highway & not the easiest to find. Outward appearance on arrival was "very nice". We barely got into the room & the front desk was asking if everything was alright - at that point we didnt know. The room was small. No refrigerator or microwave. Ice machine was on the 1st floor. Pool was VERY small & only 5' deep. Hot tub nice but overpowering chlorine!
When we called the desk & asked to upgrade to the Jr. suite (for $15. more per the website) we were told that NO because I paid upfront & through Hotels.com aka "expedia" I couldnt upgrade. They would bring me a fridge & microwave for the $15. but No I wasnt allowed the bigger room or whirlpool that came with the upgrade. Hotels.com offered to reimburse the $15. but it was the principal overall that they refused us that because we paid full price before we ever got there!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Lhbigsis
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Everything about this hotel was exceptional. All the staff were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Any requests were met with a smile and prompt service. The lobby was lovely and inviting. The rooms were very clean, spacious and quiet. I never heard any sounds from outside the hotel. The beds were new and wonderfully comfortable. I slept soundly every night. The breakfast area was immaculate and the food was varied and plentiful and very good. Overall an excellent stay.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Upon arrival, the clerk did not know how to check in a customer with reservations through Expedia. Although assigned a first floor room, we requested a second floor, due to the overpowering smell of chlorine coming from the pool. The next day, returned to the room late afternoon to find it had not been made up. Front desk indicated we were not checked into that room, apparently another clerking error. A half hour later they sent someone to clean the room. Stairs, hallways and under the TV were covered in layers of dust. Breakfast was the same every morning. Staff was friendly, but didn't seem to know what to do to get return business. In this economy... ? Are you kidding me? Expensive for what we paid for. We were there for a wedding. Noise from the near by highway was constant.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maj0rm0m
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Very pleasant stay. I Travel a lot for work, but have never stayed in a Country Inns and Suites before. This location is good becuase its near so many restaurants, and the full breakfast was really nice with lots of choices. I liked the fresh cookies on the counter all the time, the pool was really warm, and the hotel was just very clean. It was nice to have internet and other amenities included that aren't at other chains. I'll definitely stay at Country Inns in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank djf827
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I have stayed at Country Inn before. Like any middle of the road hotels, the newer the better. This hotel was either new, or recently renovated. The rooms, while cramped were clean and comfortable.

For $50 on priceline, I was fine with it. Plenty of places to eat dinner right around the hotel and near a mall if that interests you.

I have stayed at Country Inns that were borderline 2 stars. This one I will give 4 stars given the rate and cleanliness and upkeep.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Bowden68
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I was passing thru the area on a family trip, and we decided to stay with Country Inns and Suites, I must say this was the best decision as far as hotel stays went. The staff were friendly and the cleanliness was outstanding. Not to mention the breakfast. I have a very picky daughter and they had items in the breakfast bar that she enjoyed. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family