“Super Hotel, Excellent Customer Service”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Merrillville, IN
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 June 2012

As you can tell from my other reviews, I am a Marriott (Ritz) or HIlton customer. A brother advised me of a Club Carlson promotion and suggested I join and participate. Marriott and Hilton are just fine and I wasn't really interested in adding/managing another reward program, so I reluctantly agreed.

This stay (June 23) was my first stay under Club Carlson and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very charming and clean; and the customer service is beyond super. I arrived early and there was no problem getting into my room. Surprisingly, I had been given an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. Other than the room having an antiquated tube TV, the room was exemplary and well exceeded my expectations. In my college years, I stayed at either Red Roof Inn, Best Western, or Motel 6 in that order. Driving to the hotel, I was wondering why I let my brother talk me into this as I was not excited about staying in a hotel that was going to be one step above Red Roof Inn. NOT!!! Was I ever wrong. My room actually competed with Marriott and Hilton (except for the TV). The king size bed was extremely comfortable. The room had a two-person jacuzzi which I enjoyed so much that I got up at 5am and drove to Walmart to buy some bubble bath and a body brush. After breakfast, I spent another 2.5 hours in a relaxing bubble bath sipping on fruit punch and watching TV. All I was missing was a book (which I will bring next time). Almost always I request late check-outs and more often than not, if I use it, I only use about 30-45 minutes of it. I did not leave my room until 1:30 on the dot and really wanted to (but didn't) call to ask for an extension beyond 1:30.

There were a lot of adults checking in with groups of children ahead of me and I thought I'd chosen the wrong day to try this chain as there is going to be lots of noise. The hotel is very quiet as I heard nothing. I chose this particular property because of the reviews about it serving bacon during breakfast. I skipped dinner as I wanted to eat breakfast with bacon the next morning. I had plans of going to get bacon, toast, danish, fruit, and orange juice and sitting it next to the jacuzzi to leisurely eat while taking my bubble bath. To my disappointment, there was no bacon and the hotel had ran out of orange juice the day before. The manager Doug kindly offered me some Club Carlson points for my disappointment (I really was bummed) and advised that the breakfast items rotate so there is not bacon everyday (although there should have been orange juice). I have since read the website and it does say that; next time I know to read more than the TripAdvisor reviews. Thank you again Doug for the points.

All in all, this was an excellent and very relaxing stay and I look forward to returning to this property again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ashaw

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I needed an inexpensive hotel for a quick in-out. I stayed just one night at this hotel. The front-desk staff was very friendly. The room and facilities were typical of country inn properties - nothing to write home about but clean and newer. Breakfast was good and a small step above a continental - hard boiled eggs, bacon, yogurts, muffins, oatmeal, etc. Overall, a decent property.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank China101
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I wanted to say, this is the best hotel which I have stayed amongst Hampton, Holiday inn and Courtyard. I had made a reservation with a special rate for 3 nights. I had made a request to get an early check in if possible AND i GOT IT !!!!
The room was nice and the thermostat helped me to get my choice of room temperature. I got a call back from the desk clerk after 10 -15 mts or so! that was really nice of them. They also got me into their reward program for free and I got the card there itself.
I liked their breakfast -LOTS to offer and also with real chinaware-not paper or plastic, hostess was nice and pleasant. The manager came early in morning to greet us too, every day. I had to use the laundryroom and was surprised to see they had two washer and two dryer, unlike other hotels who has only one of each.
Overall, I say its great place for business and family environment.

Room Tip: give them a call ahead if you have any special need-that helps!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2012

As a Concierge Elite Member, I really enjoy staying at most Carlson properties and in particularly, Country Inn & Suites (CIS). I give high marks to the good ones and bad reviews to those so deserving. My recent stay at the CIS on Ohio St. In Merrillville, Indiana fits the latter.

Check-in was fine ... but upon entering our suite..... a “sour” smell was detected ... not sure what it was, but we were tired and just wanted to relax and let the grand kids enjoy the pool and hot tub. The pool floor was unkept and had several candy wrappers and a few pretzels under the tables and chairs. The pool water was a bit cloudy, but otherwise deemed safe.

The next morning we went to breakfast an hour after the dining room opened. There were no spoons for cereal and the trays containing the eggs, sausages and diced potatoes were all but empty. There were only a few guests in the room. The poor front desk guy was doubling as the front desk clerk and dining room host. When we told him of the shortages ... he said he would get right on it. So, twenty-fives minutes later a few of each were placed in their respective trays. About that time a new dining room hostess showed up and was not in the best of moods.

After breakfast the kids wanted to return to the pool. They met some other guest kids and had a great time with their new friends in the pool. After an hour the Lake County Health Department showed upon for a random inspection of the pool and hot tub. After chemically checking the pool water he asked us if we thought the water looked slightly “green.” We told him our observations about the water being slightly cloudy to which he replied that the chemicals were very low and the water may be unsafe. He made a phone call to his supervisor and came back into the pool to close it down. I’m not making this up folks ...... just the facts ma’am. The manager, out of sight from the health inspector, came into the pool area and told us he was sorry, but HE felt the water needed further treatment and we would be allowed back in the water soon. Have you ever owned and maintained a swimming pool. You don’t just drop a few chemicals into the skimmer for instant clear, safe water.

I normally visit TripAdvisor to check on hotels I'm considering ..... but shame on me on this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Checked in sunday night. Asked for wake up calls dialy at 7:30. Never received one. No heat in bathroom. You have to constantly adjust water temperature in shower. Thermostat and fan in walm complicated to coordinate to use together to get room to a comfortable temperature. Breakfast got worse and worse every morning. Variety of cereal, toast, bagel. Heated food was limited to a few paper thin strips of bacon and rubberized sausage. First time i had a glass of milk it was spoiled. No one ever at front desk. Key card stopped working three days in. Tv lineup card wrong, very few channels. The cleanliness is great and its a nice looking place. Next time i come here in a month, i will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank magnusprime1984
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here just one night on our way to MIlwaukee. This exit had probably more than a dozen hotels in close proximity, just off I-65. Most of the others has had poor to average reviews, and the chain I usually use was way overpriced for the area and day. We were able to find a travel coupon for Country Inn that made it very competitive for a lot better quality. We were very impressed with how quiet it was - no interstate noise at all, and the rooms seemed to be well insulated as we could not hear other guests. It was super clean, the breakfast was substantial, the pool & hot tub were nice, and there were cookies and coffee in the lobby. The front desk staff people were very professional, polite and helpful. Definitely recommend and would stay here again! I would avoid rooms near the pool, though, as the chlorine is rather strong in the immediate vicinity (but not other areas).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Debra D
Reviewed 15 February 2011

The hotel was tucked way back off the highway & not the easiest to find. Outward appearance on arrival was "very nice". We barely got into the room & the front desk was asking if everything was alright - at that point we didnt know. The room was small. No refrigerator or microwave. Ice machine was on the 1st floor. Pool was VERY small & only 5' deep. Hot tub nice but overpowering chlorine!
When we called the desk & asked to upgrade to the Jr. suite (for $15. more per the website) we were told that NO because I paid upfront & through Hotels.com aka "expedia" I couldnt upgrade. They would bring me a fridge & microwave for the $15. but No I wasnt allowed the bigger room or whirlpool that came with the upgrade. Hotels.com offered to reimburse the $15. but it was the principal overall that they refused us that because we paid full price before we ever got there!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business