“Nice place to stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Merrillville
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel about 9:30PM, we were greeted nicely and check in went fine. The room was clean and the bed was comfy. I would add a wall mirror to the bathroom because anyone short can not reach the morrow to put on make up or contacts. Breakfast was just ok- Country Inn & Suites used to be better- Holiday Inn Express has this breakfast beat for sure.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloria B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

We appreciate your review of your visit to the Country Inn & Suites. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We will review our breakfast menu to see if we can make any upgrades.
We truly appreciate your business and hope you will visit again soon.
Gloria M. Brown
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had a group of 16 rooms. After we had closed our transition for the day the staff billed us for another room without our permission and as we asked why they couldn't provide us with an answer only stated. .I thought. ....as we tried to solve the problem they only gave more and more lies. So please find a better hotel to stay in...also when I informed them I would be calling corp. They stated why they would only refer you back but they knew they had did us wrong.again for safety of your credit card do not use this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Vince R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to start off my apologizing for the issue. As I explained to you, your legal contract states that your method of payment for all group rooms was a company/group credit card. You provided us with a credit card authorization allowing us to charge any group rooms to your card.

After check in the group contact requested one of the cancelled rooms be reinstated and given to a member of the group. The hotel provided your guest with the room. At the time of check out it was informed to the hotel that you were not paying for that room that the guest was. Because the hotel employee did not ask if you were paying for the room I did not charge you for it even though the legal contract stated that you are paying for all rooms.

We feel that given the issue above the compensation of one night room and tax was more than fair. Because you booked a group our hotel requires a legal contract informing both parties of their rights and terms of booking. Therefore, contacting our corporate office will refer the case back to the hotel to find a solution. Please contact me if there is any other concern you may have or want to talk about.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our family stopped here for a one night "layover" on a recent road trip. It was roomy, clean, and comfortable, and quiet. Even though the hotel was so close to the highway. The bathtub had a granite surround. I appreciated the white duvet covers that were washed between guests. We did not have time to use the pool but, the breakfast was very nice with many cold and warm options including eggs and waffles. The location was convenient off the highway on "hotel row". It was impressive how many hotels there were so close together.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Soft pillows, decent duvet, big bathrooms, spacious enough main room for the four of us, efficient check-in, clean and good condition. Everything we needed for our one night. Quite pleased. Wife liked the real oatmeal at breakfast. Had skim milk too. Rest of breakfast was passable. Teen watched streaming tv on ipad so wifi is good. Being picky: pool is much smaller than pictured and unsuitable for laps; hot tub wasn't working; minor tear in a lampshade; one curtain off its track; worn lightswitch - but these are things that didn't affect our stay. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I found this hotel on Priceline.com for $40 per night less than the regular rate - now I why. I was eaten alive by fleas my first night! I could not sleep and after three days, I still have the big red bumps and they still itch! The general manager was nice enough to move me to another room and upgrade me to a jacuzzi suite, but didn't reimburse me for a night of no sleep and days of itching like a dog.

The property is teetering on the edge of being run down. The hot tub has been out of order for a long time, the housekeeping staff does a lack-luster job, and if you have an eye for detail, you wouldn't be very happy with the overall cleanliness of this property,

I was waiting for the GM to offer me a free night for my horrific first night, but no. I am trying to work with Priceline to get reimbursed for the first evening. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the highway so you don't have to hear the trucks all night lon...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vince R, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Chris,

Thank you for taking the time out to complete a review on trip advisor. I am glad to inform you that today our pest control company arrived to the hotel and cleared the room for any type of insects. As you know from working in the hospitality industry personally, we take the upmost caution to prevent situations like yours from happening.

Our Standard Procedure is to investigate the room as soon as a guest informs us that there might be an issue. Unfortunately we were unable to do a complete room inspection because you placed your linen outside of your door in the early morning. Once we do our hotel level inspection we can determine if there is an issue or not. In your case there was no insect activity what so ever. After that we call our pest control company to complete a professional inspection and treat the room if necessary.

Upon hearing of the potential issues the hotel staff moved you to a Jacuzzi Suites which was selling for $189.00 per night. At this time the hotel cannot refund any additional money because there was no activity found. We thank you again for reviewing our hotel and hope you continue to use Country Inn & Suites for your lodging needs.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay in Merrillville, this is not the place. As soon as you walk through the door you will regret it. Forget about the looks on the internet, it is deceptive!!! I checked into this hotel knowing that I did not like the smell when I walked through the door. And when I went to my room, it got worse! The smell of the carpet the poor quality of the room decor. I immediately went back to the front desk to cancel my reservation and the front desk staff told me that I could not. I went to the Fairfield Inn (excellent hotel) to see if they had any rooms available, which thank god they did. I told them that the Country Inn would not cancel my reservation regardless of me being unsatisfied with the room. They told me that if I request to cancel within an hour of check-in, they have to honor my request. Of course I went back to Country Den (what it should be called instead of Inn) and relayed this information to them, and they canceled my reservation immediately!!! DON'T WAIT YOUR TIME WITH THIS HOTEL, IT IS THE WORSE!!!!

Room Tip: Any hotel located in this particular area (mainly this side of Hwy 30) don't do it!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Denise D,

I wanted to thank you for reviewing our hotel. I would like to learn more about your stay. I believe that I located your reservation. My email is vince.rizzo@countryinns.com, please email me at your leisure.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Horrible from shower curtain mold, to buzzing thermostat, to broken fridge to cramped and unacceptable breakfast area. In the past Country Inns were a nice place to stay on the road but this kind of quality is unacceptable

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Davew49,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better our services. As a contributor to Trip Advisor your feedback means allot to us. I would like to invite you back again to have the stay you should have had in the first place. Please email me at vince.rizzo@counrtinns.com at your leisure.