Residence Inn Merrillville
US$148
US$134
US$85
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbedroom suitefront deskfire pitmarriott brandmon wedhome away from homefull kitchenstar plaza theaterrental carparking lotenjoyed our staynice stayattending a concertplatinum memberpull out couchwould stay here againthe entire staff
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed recently for awhile while working and visiting family. Initially I was upset because I did not realize this is one of the hotels that I stayed at before and was extremely displeased. However they have down a recent renovation so everything for the most part felt modern and clean. The staff most of been new to because everyone was pleasant. It started rocky initially but the overnight receptionist overcame some obstacles and she made me comfortable. I came in late and was greeted by helpful young woman named Danielle. Not only the first night but on the nights where I came in late she was always pleasant and gave me an earful about events that were coming up or things that the children would enjoy doing. She told me about the gatherings that happen between Mon-wed, which they call the social hour. I thought this was the very best feature the hotel had to offer. One night the children had fish and chips, the next night burgers. This isnt only for children because one night they had wine and cheese! The staff that cooks in the morning and evening are very helpful, often offering to assist me with the little ones even though they had much to do! Housekeeping must have noticed that I have small children because she left a coloring book with crayons. While there my daughter was able to borrow the basketball from the front desk so they could go outside and play some hoops! I often caught the gentleman with the white hair, offering the passerby's a pleasant Good Morning while keeping the grounds looking new. He offer friendly conversation to everyone. (later on I heard him mention he use to be a Realtor, which explains why he's so friendly!) One of the evening staff members offered me an outside health fitness pass that they have with a local gym after I wanted to use more equipment than there onsite gym offered. The heated pool worked pretty well the first few days but something went wrong shortly before we left. The gym has 2 treadmills, a bike, weight bench and a few weights, more than sufficient to keep your exercise regiment on track. Outside they have a beautiful fire pit that you can enjoy in comfortable seating. I also noticed the grill and picnic table. My WiFi was free so I was able to keep in touch using my social networking and such. But if you aren't equipped with your own laptop you can use there computer near the lobby I didn't find it to useful, it only had Internet Explore and it moved a bit slow. I saw people with their pets so I assume this is a pet friendly hotel. So as you can see not many complaints. I enjoyed my stay and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
lynnette t, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Thank you for your 5 star rating on service! I am happy that you were greeting by Danielle in such a delightful way and that she was so helpful to you. It is nice to hear that you and your children had the opportunity to enjoy the outdoor sport court and fire pit. We don't want our guests to go hungry, so I am glad that you took advantage of the daily breakfast buffet and evening social 3 days a week.

Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

This is a new facility and in very good shape. Most importantly It is much better Than the dump The courtyard Marriott is down the lane. The carpeting in the hallways is good and overall look of the facility is modern. The bed could have been slightly more comfortable but I am satisfied that this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your 5 star rating! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Come see us again when you are in town!!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We've visited Merrillville the past 3 years for a 2-day trip to Deep River Waterpark. We drive in to Merrillville early Monday morning, do a very early check-in at RI, then hit the waterpark all day, back to the hotel that night, and then on Tuesday spend the morning just relaxing around the hotel/pool until about noon and then hit the waterpark again. We do this because Tuesdays have extended hours until 9pm at the same daily rate. We stay the second night at RI and then do a late checkout on Wed morning after another relaxing time around the pool, basketball court, etc. This has proven to be a very economical, yet very fun and relaxing, yearly trip for a family of 4.

SERVICE - AMAZING! Each time we've stayed here over the past couple of years we have been impressed with the friendly staff and their attempts to make our stay wonderful. For instance, during our last trip I needed to take a business call for an hour early in the morning while my family slept. I asked the front desk if there were any conference rooms and they informed me that there weren't. Breakfast was in full swing so the front room was out of the picture, and so they quickly started coming up with ideas on where I could sit and work quietly. Her arm sprung up with a lightning strike of an idea and told me about a small area under the stairs near one of the exits. It was quiet, had comfortable seating, and electrical outlets. It was perfect! Also, on every trip I have asked for an upgrade to a 2-room and it was granted. Given that I was using points for the stays, I was impressed that they allowed this and my kids were elated at the extra room and their own beds.

ROOMS - very clean and beds are comfortable. Not heavily upgraded, but this is expected for a RI. Overall very happy with the rooms.

INTERNET - reasonably fast and reliable.

FOOD - Breakfast is very good and the staff is very attentive to the guests. We've been there when it's just the 4 of us, and on days when the entire place is packed and it's difficult to find a seat. Regardless of the number of guests the staff is very good at maintaining the food levels and are friendly and helpful.

PARKING - Free!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask for an upgrade to a 2-room if you are traveling with family. Staff are very friendly and are likely to grant your request if it's available.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank IndySalesGuy

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I am happy that you enjoy your visits with us and that we exceede your expectations!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The employees are extremely corteous and helpful. The hotel is clean and wellkept. I would sugest this hotel to anyone who needs a "home away from home". The grounds are a wonderful place for family to relax and visit.

• Stayed: July 2013
lynnette t, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a 5 star rating! I am glad that you were able to relax with your family in our clean accommodations! Come stay with us again when you need to return to this area!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I enjoyed the experience there, however we did have to switch rooms because there was a leak coming from the wall which was causing the area around the table to stay wet. Although I truly did enjoy my stay, some of the staff was nice but a few came off as snobbish. I also was disappointed when a cleaning person expressed that she was happy we were FINALLY leaving so she didn't have to come everyday to clean the room. First off, she never had to clean because I did her job of cleaning the kitchen and the bathroom shower and toilet which she did not do very well. The other cleaning staff was very polite, and I cannot remember the name of one particular cleaning lady, but she was very nice and even came to tell us bye when we were leaving. I would stay here again because overall I did enjoy everything, the fitness center was great, and the breakfast was awesome. However, if you are not in to pets, I would definitely alert the staff that you do not want to be in a room next to someone with pets. When we first got there, we were in a room next to a few people with pets, and the noise of the dogs worked on my last nerve; other than that, I enjoyed this hotel. A very nice area and close to all the best stores, the mall and lots of great restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
lynnette t, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for your 5 star rating! I am glad that you chose to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again if you return to the area in the future.