La Quinta Inn Merrillville
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsroom was cleanproteinpetshighwayinns
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was a last minute trip to the Chicago area during the holiday weekend to help my Mom who was hospitalized. The conditions at the hotel were filthy at best. There were dirty towels folded and hanging on the towel rack. The room and hallway weren't vacuumed. There was a half inch of dust on top of and on the front of the headboards. the drain reeked of mildew and there were dried urine stains on the toilet. Needless to say my child had an allergic reaction within minutes of us walking into this room. Which caused us to search for another hotel at midnight on Labor Day weekend! The management at this hotel need to fire themselves and start over. We checked out 90 minutes after arriving and received a full refund..thankfully! The staff was incredibly kind. One of the front desk clerks Julia actually came to clean our room. I am only giving this hotel the rating I have because the staff at the front desk were top notch. The rest of the staff/management need to take lessons from Jennifer and Julia.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Because they are pet friendly, we always use La Quinta's when we travel. This was way below and acceptable standard. The room was very poorly vacuumed and smelled awful. The furniture was banged up and in need of replacement.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The visit started out with some room switching. First room had a broken air-conditioner. They moved us across the hall only to find a unflushed used toilet and a book sitting on the shower ledge. The third room, next door, was acceptable. Even while in line at the front desk to get the rooms switched there was a guy switching rooms because his smelled of smoke. They were very nice at the front desk, but these are issues that should never get to the customer and should be avoided by some quality control by simply checking each room after cleaning. Even though the problems were quickly fixed, it makes you wonder what else that you cannot see is wrong with the room because of improper cleaning and shortcuts by the staff.

The rest of the stay was without issue. The hotel is old but has been recently renovated. Everything appeared clean, the HDTV was nice, and the place was quiet. It has a small exposed pool in the corner, but I never saw anyone using it. The breakfast was continental and had a couple waffle irons, but there was not a lot of places to sit and eat. I did get a good rate by using a discount web site, but I wouldn't suggest anyone paying full price. I wouldn't consider staying here again, mostly for the reasons in the first paragraph.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Now we stopped on the way to Erie PA and had room 106 wasn't very pretty. And the tub scared me but staff was excellent. Was impressed very nice to us. And my folks loved the breakfast. And beds were Cindy so was pillars. On the way back to weeks later we stayed again in room 120. Very very nice. Loved very nice pictures and very clean. Shower was warm and cool but I didn't care cause it felt good after driving 500 miles. And we love the fact they take my baby dog. We will stay here again. Hopefully in same room. Thanks so much.

• Stayed: August 2013
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stopped at this hotel for a night over on a road trip to Michigan. It was very comfortable! The rooms were basic, but good quality and the breakfast was filling. They offered standard continental with a few extras like fresh waffles. The staff was prompt and friendly. Overall good stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends