Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed 28 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on 11/21/2012. The check was speedy. The extra pillows were in the room as requested. The hotel staff was very friendly and outgoing. The whole building is well taken care of. Not one thing out of place or to complain about. Anyone staying here will enjoy themselves. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
ffimerrgm, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I have stayed here several times over the past few years. My company puts me up in this hotel when I need to visit our Indiana location. It is a good "working" hotel. Its close to our location in Indiana, you can get work done in the hotel room. The rooms are a good size. And the hotel even offers a complimentary breakfast. I recommend this hotel for business travelers or even for people passing through if they have had a long day of driving and need to stop for the night. And if you are staying for more than one day, Chicago is literally 45 minutes from the hotel, so you could venture out to Chicago if you have some free time at night. If you have never been to Merrillville Indiana before it is sort of an odd city, it has many law offices and medical offices off the main drag, but then has shopping centers and hooter's too. About the hotel, my only issue is sometimes the wireless connection is bad, which obviously is important on a business trip, so I do carry a wireless card, in case I cannot connect at all to the hotel's wireless.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room on the 3rd floor. Quieter / more relaxed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Not a terrible stay but definitely an average stay. Rooms were very small and the hallways showed their age. Very close to the interstate and pretty loud attempting to sleep.

Don't get me wrong, it provides a useful place to stay but it isn't as nice as most other Fairfield Inn properties. It does provide an incredible value for your dollar in this particular area and that is why I chose this property and will choose it again.

Room Tip: Stay on the side farthest from the interstate traffic for the sake of sleep value.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Location: very accessible from main highway. Can be seen from I-65. A variety of restaurants are close to the hotel.
Service was great. We arrived at 2pm and was given a room right away. We stated our preference (quiet area, higher floor) and we got what we requested. Room was clean, good smell, clean bed sheets, with small refrigerator, TV, desk and chair. Good insulation since we do not hear any noise from the hallway. We had a restful sleep. Breakfast is free, which is typical of Fairfield Inns, and it consisted of hardboiled eggs, waffles, bread, cereals, oatmeal, fruits, juices. Good selection, spacious dining area.
Ice cold drinks on the lobby to freshen up. With gym which we didn't have time to use.
I left an important document on the receptionist's counter and upon reaching our room, I got a call from the lobby informing me that my document was left at their desk. Honest and friendly staff.
We will absolutely stay here again and will recommend to anybody.

Room Tip: Specify your preference to the receptionist and they would gladly accommodate your needs as long as...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 September 2012

After a long day of walking at a pro golf tournament, we were ready for a good night's sleep. We checked a couple of hotels and chose the Fairfield Inn because they offered a better price than the others in the immediate area.

Finding the entrance into the hotel is a bit tricky because they don't have the usual covered entrance area to drive underneath like many hotels do. We discovered, though, that you can enter from either side of the building. Once inside, Josh at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

We opted for a room with one king bed. Although it was a very small room, the only thing that felt small was the bathroom - there was hardly any counter space around the corner sink. Other than that, it was very clean and well appointed. If it matters to you, it was tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable enough, but the pillows lost their fluffiness very quickly. I'm used to a rather stiff memory foam pillow, though, so maybe that's why I didn't care for them.

Our room was on the end of the building right beside the interstate and we barely heard the road noise at all... and that was even withOUT the air conditioning running to drown out any noise! Our room was also on the wall beside the stairway and we never once heard any noise from that. And, we even discovered in the morning when we went to our truck that there were workers in the hotel parking lot beside ours that had accidentally turned a Bobcat on its side that morning - which I'm sure made a loud noise - and we never even heard that!

The deluxe continental breakfast in the morning was pretty good. They offered better fare than most hotels - things like biscuits & gravy, microwaveable sandwiches, and fat free milk. Of course, they also had the usual waffles, cereal, pastries, fruit, yogurt, bagels, etc. The dining area was large enough to accommodate several people - not small and cramped where you're tripping over each other like some hotels. They promptly refilled empty things too.

The hotel itself might be a bit tricky to find for those unfamiliar with the area - it's not directly off the highway, but rather down a winding side access road. From US30, look for Staples near the stoplight. When you turn at that stoplight, immediately turn left before going up the hill to Staples. Follow the road around past Hooters, Max & Erma's, and Abuelo's - the hotel will be on the left.

There are a TON of restaurants, shopping centers, gas stations, and the like in the area. There are at least three restaurants on the same road as the hotel - the rest are on either side of US30 and I65. There is a very nice shopping mall a few stoplights east on US30. You can find just about anything you might need within a few minutes of this hotel. I highly recommend a visit to the Albanese Candy factory - about 5 minutes east on US30. It's a sensory and sugary overload!

Room Tip: If road noise bothers you, then ask for a room with a higher number. We were in 202 and it was righ...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I went this week for four nights for a business trip. I am relocating back to Michigan from Chicago and I lived in Crown Point Indiana while there. I was moving this week so I stayed. The hotel was adequate. The breakfast selection was exceptional, lots of healthy choices and choices. The staff were all extremely friendly. The pool was larger, didn't use it. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The only complaint I would have is that the bathrooms were very awkward and hard to use they were at an angle. The bed was nice but I hate wall air condition and heating units....hate them.
It is also difficult to get to this hotel, had I not been familiar with the area I would have been discouraged.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 July 2012

The rooms are too small for the price (I usually have a bigger room at a Ramada or Days Inn). They didn't clean the room until 2 pm. They took the old towels and didn't give us new towels for 2 hours. Breakfast was average. Front Desk clerks were polite and helpful when approached. If they cut the price in half it would have been totally worth it, but $109 a night is way too much. Just stay next door at the Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Stay next door. The room will be just as good and cost way less.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family