“Would not recommend this place”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had reserved a room a month or better ago for my brother in laws wedding, as the bride had chose this location for out of town guests. Reserved a room with 2 beds since we have 2 young children. Last week my wife called to double check that we were good to go and found that they had booked us a room with one bed. They assured my wife on the phone that they corrected it. We arrived at midnight to check in only to find that we still had a room with one bed, they couldn't offer us another room, had to beg desk clerk to see if they had any cots available. We had to end up calling the neighboring red roof inn from the lobby of fairfield to get a room. Worst part was desk clerk had the nerve to tell us "I didn't set up your reservation, don't shoot the messenger". Customer service is horrible. Then to find out they messed up other reservations of wedding guests last night.

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jesse12345678
ffimerrgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

We are extremely sorry for any inconvienence you encountered with our hotel. If you are ever back in the area, it would be our pleasure to upgrade you to one of our suites based off availability. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed here during a weekend of a family reunion. This family took over the hotel and the dining room. Not the hotels fault but it did affect our stay. There is only one elevator and it is slow. Rooms are in need of refreshing, the room I had there was a section of carpet that was damaged and obviously repaired with a new section. Furniture looks tired however beds are comfortable. Also when I turned on the air there was a moldy/funky smell for the first few hours. I had asked for a quiet room and ended up next to I-65. Staff is friendly. Location is good for freeway access and shopping. Lots of dining options around.

Room Tip: Skip rooms 301/302 that face I - 65 if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

We apologize for the breakfast inconvienence you encountered at our hotel. If you are ever in the area again, please give us another try. Thank you for your feedback .

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel did not feel super clean to me. Actually, the lobby was but our room didn't feel like it. Our room was also a little cramped. Our breakfast was good and there were a lot of businesses in the area, if you wanted to eat out. I appreciated its closeness to Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2013
ffimerrgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you Susan for your feedback. If you are ever in the area again and you choose to stay with us; we just wanted you to know all our rooms have black out drakes behind the curtains. If you have any other concerns that may stop you from staying with us, please let us know.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I first were schedule to stay at the Best Western in LaPorte, Indiana. They were horrible there. We left the hotel and had to scramble to find another hotel for the weekend. I booked on Priceline.com for the Fairfield Inn. We had stayed there last Thanksgiving and they were wonderful. When I spoke with the GM on the phone about what had happened in LaPorte, she made sure everything was perfect for us and she even upgraded our room. We planned on only staying one night, but because of how wonderful they were we stayed another night. All the staff was helpful and friendly. My husband and I had a wonderful weekend thanks to their caring and kind nature. Thank you again! :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. We are excited you and your husband had an enjoyable experience at our hotel on your anniversary. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

When I traveled for work, I stayed at Marriott and Hilton chains. However, since no longer travelling for work, have used Hilton ... mostly Hamptons in the past few years. Since the Hampton in Merrillville was higher priced, decided to stay at what I thought was comparable - the Fairfield. This trip was for leisure, and was only for one night. Because I read the reviews, I requested and stayed in a 2nd floor room toward back of the hotel. It was quiet enough and did not hear any road noise from the adjacent highway. Although the room and bath were small, they were clean, modern, comfortable, and had the basic amenities. Be aware if light affects your sleep, the rooms do not have drapes - just sheers, so sunlight pours in early in morning. Price was average for a holiday weekend in this area. Location is convenient if you are looking to be close to retail, restaurants, entertainment and highways. Breakfast was average ... not as good as a Hamptons - missing their assortment of fresh fruit. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room in back of hotel away from highway was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ffimerrgm, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

FYI- The brand has added several new breakfast options, and cut fruit is one of them. Also, all rooms have black out drapes behind the sheers. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

First off- due to the storm we needed a place for the kids because of no power for 2 days. We eventually booked this room last minute. I thought the price was extreme but we were desperate. Only stood one night. I have stayed in many Marriott
hotels and was disappointed with the size of our room and we had a double bed. My daughter told me she found an ant in the bed- I shrugged it off thinking could have been anything or a fluke. By the end of the night as we were cleaning up there were tons of ants underneath the desk. As we moved the desk old food that obviously wasn't cleaned up.. and the ants began crawling up the wall. We told the front desk and were given a spray for them and WE cleaned it up. Not once did anyone come to our room to check if all was in order. I kept checking all night because I didn't want my girls to freak out thinking ants would crawl into the bed. By morning I took them to breakfast and by checkout I made nention I left the bug spray in my room- thinking she would have asked me questions as to why I was given it. Nothing... she said "ok" I chose to leave without saying further to them. I was already disgusted and knew I wasn't going to argue. Also my girls ended up trying to clean out the outside pool prior to swimming. It was filthy they didn't want yo stay long. It was a waste of money but given our circumstances - we dealt with it.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank trvelfrfun

Thank you for informing us of you negative experience you encountered at our hotel. We strive to make sure all our guest have a great experience with us. We assure you if you give us another chance, you will not encounter any of the previous issues. If you like to discuss further, please contact us. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

While on a long motorcycle trip our bike broke down. We were literally stranded. We were looking for a car or truck to buy, the car dealer suggested this hotel and told us we could get a "deal" which we did. Thankful for the good price, we said nothing about the ground floor room right next to the lobby. On a Saturday night in June it was "rockin" & loud. Sunday morning wasn't much better. Pretty loud
Bathtub was dirty. Tv (dish?) went out. Overall, small room, not a deal considering you are in merrillville Indiana --not exactly the center of anything.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Betsy S
ffimerrgm, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you experienced an inconvienence while you were staying with us. If you are ever again in the area, it would be my pleasure to upgrade your room and reserve you a room away from the lobby area. Hopefully your last visit will not discourage you from staying with us or any other Fairfield Inn & Suites.