“Great Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
San Jose, California
“Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

We booked Couryard Marriott Merrillville via Priceline. We basically just needed a clean room and safe location as we were in town visiting family. This hotel well exceeded our expectations! The lobby was super spacious and cozy with a nice fireplace. The hot breakfast was quite pleasant and offered anything you could want including great coffee. The king size bed was very comfortable so we slept very well; the hotel was quiet at night but there was some noise as our room faced the very busy I-65. I could also appreciate that when we returned after dinner we were able to get a drink at the hotel and relax before the end of the night. It was truly a great bargain and we were pleasantly surprised how nice the place it ... We did not go swimming but there is a very cute indoor pool.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Schererville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

After 4 Courtyard stays in the least 18ish months that were awful I wouldn't have guessed this place is a Courtyard. Well, except the sign & room decor.
You can tell from the exterior this place wasn't originally a Courtyard. I believe when it was built the place was called the Carlton Lodge or something. (I grew up in the area and was in town for my sister's wedding.) The indoor outdoor pool is pretty nifty. Plenty of families were enjoying the pool during our stay.
The rooms are visually very Courtyard. The usual print on the throw on the end of the bed, sheets, couch, etc. The bed was actually comfortable. None of the thin foam piece of junk that is only a few inches thick and makes my back hurt the next day. Amazing!
The bathroom area was nice. The sink is outside of the toilet/tub area, but behind a wall away from the bed so the light & running water weren't super bothersome.
Sure, they could use non-tube tvs but if they aren't broke why buy new & pay the higher power bills for the newer bigger flat screens?
The complimentary breakfast in the lobby was fine. The staff was pushy when it was time for breakfast to be over. I mean fine pack up the food whatever, but why rush me away from the table? The "dining" area is off one side of the lobby so it's not like I couldn't just stop there to read the newspaper or something.
The lack of an elevator was a bit annoying. Hauling dress clothes & suitcases up the stairs isn't super fun but for us it was do-able. (Good luck to families or older people I guess.) There is some sort of chair thing that goes up the side of the back stair case for handicap people.
Oh, don't let kids play by the windows. We had a "view" of the creek behind the hotel. I opened the window in the morning to find that it opens.... well far enough for me to roll myself right out of it. These windows are rather low to the floor to open as wide as they do. Odd.
When exiting the hotel you don't need to follow the road all the way out to Broadway. Just go to the stop sign on the back side of the Star Plaza parking lot and take that street toward Old Chicago. You're then back on the frontage road and at the light to US 30.
I don't think that this place is a 3 star hotel. Sorry Priceline & Hotwire. The on-site dining is the free breakfast. When 3 star is supposed to be Radisson, Holiday Inn, or equivalent, nice or not this place wasn't a 3 star.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
north carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

We were in Merrillville to visit family over New Year's. The open area around the main desk is wonderful- huge living room to the right with a fireplace, very nice Christmas decorations, comfortable seating. So much so that we ended up sitting by the fireplace (5 of us) & playing cards for 2 hours. I used the fitness room 4 days in a row & was pleased to find the same equipment as in my club at home (good elliptical trainer). I really regret not having time to get in the pool & jacuzzi which were very nice. Room was great- quiet heater, comfortable bed (good mattress), lots of good pillows, nice couch & tv (I'm puzzled by an earlier review saying rooms could use updating b/c our bathroom was very new-ish, furniture/tv/bed all great with nice linens. Nice desk. Very thick towels in fitness room & bedroom, always a nice luxurious touch!
Location near highway was not a problem at all. Because the hotel is angled away from the highway, you do not hear it. This was one of the quietest hotels I've stayed in. The only problem (common to many places) is the amount of sound that gets into the room from people talking/walking in the hallway. We were there over New Year's & for 2 nights, heard no one. Then as families arrived, I was wakend by noise outside our door in the mornings. I solved this by using earplugs.
Breakfast was good esp when compared to most hotels in same price range. Plenty of seating available, fresh juices, make your own waffles, eggs, sausage, fruit. However, it's not homecooked and I've never liked the eggs, etc served in hot bars so I ended up with cereal. They had real oatmeal & pecans & raisins & brown sugar & both skim & low fat milk, major pluses in my book. Every staff person I met was exceptionally friendly and personable
I definitely will stay here on my next visit. My husband also really liked it(said internet access was very good & he needs this for business) We usually stay in 2-3 star category places we find on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

I often have to travel back to Northwest Indiana to help my elderly parents. I have stayed at most of the hotels in the area over the years and the Courtyard in Merrillville is definitely one of my top choices. Even though it is near to busy I-65, it actually feels very secluded and quiet. It is one of the very few hotels in the area to have an indoor-outdoor pool. The workout room is small but adequate. The free hot breakfast is surprisingly good and the staff are consistently very welcoming and nice. The one drawback is that there is no elevator to the second floor so you have to wrestle up the stairs with your luggage.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ElysianJewels
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I have stayed at many Courtyards and was a little bit surprised to see such high ratings for this hotel. This is an old Courtyard hotel that could use some updating especially with the tv and the bathroom. However, it was very clean, quiet, and is close to the interstate. The last 1/4 mile of the access road to the hotel is in extremely bad shape and needs to be repaved.

We stayed in Merriville because were on our way out of Chicago and did not want to get stuck in Monday morning traffic if we stayed Sunday night in Chicago. Otherwise, I would not stay in Merriville if you want to visit Chicago. It is about a hour drive (with no traffic) to downtown and it is not a pleasant drive. Either you have to take the toll road and go through Gary or take the Borman expressway, which is constantly under construction.

The hotel is located to many chain restaurants and big box stores on US 30. Getting off the Interstate to the hotel is convenient as it is the first right (Rhode Island Av). Going from the hotel back to the freeway is not so convenient because Rhode Island Av is one way. You have to make two lefts at stoplights just to get back onto US 30.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in June 2009 with my mom, sister and 18 mo. old son. We absolutely loved this hotel!! I received a wonderful price at priceline but I would have paid full price! Lori at the front desk was so nice and helpful!!! The breakfast was included and was very good! The location was great to since we were driving into Chicago. Overall we would stay here again without any hesitation anytime we are in the Chicago vicinity!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

We stayed here as a comp for Horseshoe Hammond Casino as the Marriott Courtside in Hammond was damaged by flooding the week before we were to stay.

The small size and setup of this hotel felt more like a vacation villa! We really enjoyed our stay.

There was an outside area behind the hotel with a waterfall, a gazebo and a deck area around the outdoor portion of the indoor/outdoor pool. Very nice amenities for an "off-the-interstate" hotel.

We are smokers and this is a non-smoking hotel, but the gazebo is considered a smoking area. We simply walked out a back door one door away from our room and we were able to smoke.

The free breakfast in the morning consisted of eggs, potatoes, sausage, french toast (it was goooood), cereals, fruits, muffins & breads. Very nice and free.

I will definitely stay here again if in the area. This place has a very nice "feel" to it....we had to pull ourselves away to go to the casino!

• Liked — Outside Roaming Areas
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends