“WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Duneland Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Michigan City
Duneland Beach Inn
OSSIAN INDIANA
“WHAT A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

I wanted to treat my wife for Mother's Day. So I made a reservation for both a room and dinner on Saturday May the 7th,2011. Right after we checked in fresh baked chocolate macadamia nut cookies were delivered to our room! YUMMY!
We stayed in Jo's Sunset which was both comfortable and romantic.
Dinner at the restaurant was great. The service was excellent.
In fact check-in, the lounge and restaurant all had friendly professional people who made us feel welcome and comfortable!
We noted that extensive renovation has been done since our last stay. Both Cindra and I are eager to return. We highly recommend this Country Inn for other couples who want a romantic getaway! Tom Ossian, Indiana

Room Tip: Just go on their website and look at all rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DOWNTOWN708

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
south padre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed here during the off season with friends. It was a lovely choice for a fun quiet getaway. The inn is tucked away in a wooded area one block from the beach. We were able to see deer walking around the property and catch a great sunrise on the beach all in one trip. The room we stayed in had a beautiful view and everything in it looked brand new. They had a rainfall shower that was next to the jacuzzi tub, very romantic. Our friends had an equally impressive room that again looked brand new like they had completely remodeled. We checked in late so the staff was already gone, but they had called to inform us of where the keys would be upon our arrival. Wish all check-in's were that easy!
The next day we contacted the front desk for ice and extra towels and the staff was prompt and friendly. We enjoyed the fact that they give you your privacy and freedom to come and go as you please. For dinner we made reservations at the restaurant downstairs. The waitstaff was so knowledgeable about the wine selection they offer and what to pair it with . Our dinner was exquisite. I wish our trip was longer so we could have dined there again. The bar was so warm and welcoming that we enjoyed a nightcap later that evening.
Overall it was a wonderful place to stay. We hope to make this a tradition and return again next year.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

My husband and I booked The Captain's Quarters for two nights, and then I decided to check out the reviews here on tripadvisor. After reading the horrible reviews, I kicked myself for not checking out the reviews first! I was so worried!

And then we arrived. And I discovered that I had worried for nothing. The check in process went smoothly, and we were told to seek out the staff if we needed anything. A very nice hostess showed us to our room. It was spotless, chic, and just perfect. The carpet was luxuriously thick and soft. The two person jacuzzi was oh-so-romantic. And the rainfall shower behind the glass was exciting! Even though we were directly above the dining room and kitchen, we heard nothing from the restaurant below!!!

We had a delicious dinner, downstairs in the restaurant, by the fireplace on New Year's Eve. (Such a plus to just mosey on upstairs after dinner and not worry about the crazies on the road!) The meal was a bit on the expensive side for us, but it was a special occasion. He had the baby back ribs, and I had the pork tenderloin with a twice baked potato. We shared an amazing dessert that was a cookie bar on the bottom with vanilla ice cream on top. Our server, Monica, was very friendly and did a great job.

We walked to the beach three times, and we just enjoyed being so close to Lake Michigan. It really is only a block and a half away.

All in all, I would say that I am a little bit in love with the Duneland Beach Inn, and I can't wait to go back!!! :D

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lovesgardening7
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We knew breakfast wasn't served after Labor Day, but the room rate wasn't adjusted accordingly. They still charged the same price. When we checked in, the man at the desk was trying to work us in around restaurant activities. When we checked out, the owner(?) never inquired how our room was, or asked us tocome back again.Very odd behavior from an Innkeeper! It was as if he knew the room was in poor condition, had heard it all before, and didn't want to give us an opening to tell him what we thought of it. He never made eye contact with us. I believe the owners are just milking the upstairs rooms for as long as they can still get money out of them without having to spend anything on renovations.

Our room was the Suite Dreams.
The good:
Short walk to a beautiful beach, fabulous at sunset. Photo attached. The front veranda was peaceful in the mornings where we took our coffee and listened to bluejays and cardinals. We saw a mother deer and her fawn, too.

The bad:
The ceiling fan didn't work. We were told it would be fixed when we came back that evening. It wasn't. The windows had to be propped open with a piece of wood. The room got very warm and stuffy with a broken fan and a window that wouldn't stay open.
There were items left by previous guests in the dressers such as shower shoes (yuck),and black nail polish. The carpet was dusty, the toilet had a ring in the bowl and under the beds were kleenex and a lot of lint. I'd guess the room hadn't been really cleaned after the last people left. There was an extension cord beside the bed that was a tripping hazard and possibly a fire hazard.
No one ever emptied our trash, but the bed was made the first day. Not even that was done on the second and third day.

After the restaurant closed,we could hear about two hours of banging pots and dishes and cleaning up, then the place fell silent. Kitchen staff stood outside talking and smoking and we got all that up in our room with the windows open.

We didn't need any help with directions, so the lack of staff in the morning was fine for us, but this wouldn't work for everyone. We did not try the restaurant so I can't comment on the food. It did look very nice inside and the aroma was great.

This is the kind of inn that has you talking about what you'd do to fix it up if you bought it. It's got lots of potential and a great location, but hasn't had any remodeling or a good cleaning in a long time. The nightly rate of $159 to $179 was just out of line with the value of the room.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Virgochik

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

We arrived after a long journey from Spain to find surly, unhelpful and blatantly rude staff. Having read about their praised restaurant, we had rushed to get there before it closed only to find that the chef had already left. Not even bread and water - we had to drive to the local gas station for sandwiches.

The bed was comfortable, but the carpet was uninvitingly dirty. The ventilation system was noisy all night. No staff in evidence the next morning until an even ruder person arrived to inform us that breakfast is not served after Labor Day and we should have read that on the website.

The beachfront was beautiful for an early morning walk, otherwise a thoroughly disappointing experience, NOT to be repeated.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RuthNash
West Townshend, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

The following is the substance of an email following my visit. They have yet to respond 8 weeks later:
I must express my surprise with the unsatisfactory experience I had at the Duneland Beach Inn on Thursday, July 1, 2010. This is very unlike my previous two visits.
Although my reservation was made on 11 June, when I arrived the paperwork was not ready. After waiting while a search was conducted, I was shown to my room and asked to return later to sign in.
"No problem," say I.
Returning to the front desk some time later, the reservation had been located on the computer but the printer wouldn't work. Would I mind waiting?
"No problem," say I.
After a walk on the beach, I returned to my room for a shower. There I had to wait about 45 minutes for there to be hot water.
"No problem," think I.
Eventually clean, I went downstairs to have a drink and peruse a menu. I was placed at a table outside the bar and told the barkeep would be with me shortly. After being ignored for 35 minutes, I departed.
"No problem," think I.
Arising early the next morning, facing my 880 mile drive to Vermont, I started to prepare coffee in the room. I discovered that the grounds had not been removed from the last use of the machine.
You can only say, "No problem," so many times before you need to recognize a problem exists. Issues seem to be in reception, dining, bar, maintenance, and housekeeping. Deficiencies in so many areas reflect on management and ownership, not individual staff members. I certainly hope these will be address

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank pmort45
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

First off, the location is wonderful, but that is really the only positive. My mother and I stayed in the Jo's Sunset room. It was extremely cold the entire time we were there (and that is with the vents closed). Absolutely no water pressure in the shower-it was awful! Plus, there was mold all over the inside of the shower curtain. The room was nice although it looked like it needed a good dusting and vaccuming. The wait staff was not helpful at all. Rented a DVD to watch. Got it back to the room and found that there was no place to hook up the VCR/DVD on the TV. A person from their staff was suppose to come up and check it out, but never came. My mother enquired about more sheets and a person from their wait staff looked at her like she was crazy. After several minutes, she finally came back with sheets. I feel that they put more effort into their restaurant than they do with the people that are staying in their rooms upstairs. I e-mailed them about my concerns and gave them a week to respond and I have yet to receive a response.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
#2 of 4 in Union Pier
Blue Jay Manor
Blue Jay Manor
#4 of 8 in Michigan City

Been to Duneland Beach Inn? Share your experiences!