“Disappointing”
Review of Duneland Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Michigan City
Duneland Beach Inn
Fishers, Indiana
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

reading the previous review on this BB, I should have read it before. I also was very disappointed with our stay. I did not book on line as it said only two people per room and we were traveling with our 14 year old son so I called to speak with the hotel. They said not a problem with him staying in the room, can I get a roll away, "no we dont have any roll aways" and it ended up it was ok if I brought a cot in for him. After we checked in I went to the front desk to see if I could get a sheet/blanket and pillow for him for the cot I was informed that cots were not allowed. WHAT? Finally after saying they were not allowed they were allowed but, it was $50 more. I rented the most expensive room as it appeared to be the largest, it was small, and stuffy both nights(only thermostat is in the hallway, is locked and controls all the rooms) and I think our room was over the kitchen. YOU NEED TO BE AWARE NO ONE IS AROUND THIS PLACE DURING the night and morning so if you need anything you are on your own. Breakfast is only served 9:30-10AM we didnt wait around for it. I think at one time it was focused on being a B&B but now it is probably a nice rest with rooms above the rest that they rent out. Staff was so busy with the rest there wasnt any interaction with guests and it was disappointing. I would have to stretch to note something we were impressed with or liked. Thought about checking out the second night but, had already paid for it

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Markle1951

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Pros: Great location with just a 5 minute walk--a block and half to beach. In cozy wooded area. Restaurant and bar downstairs with pretty good complementary breakfast. Free Wi-Fy. Short drive to Casino and Pier area.

Cons: Fair warning...NON-REFUNDABLE deposit unless you cancel within 2 weeks. Even then you have to pay a substantial cancellation fee. They had already charged my credit card right after I booked the room. Upon inquiry about a possible cancellation since my daughter had an allergic reaction to her medication, we were told that since we booked within the 2-week period, that we could not get our money back unless they could rebook the room. But fat chance of that happening as we were literally the only ones in the whole entire place when we stayed...they gave us a key to our room AND the front door and the staff left us there. In fact when we first got there, you know how some places let you check in early if they are not busy and your room is ready?...we couldn't even get into the building until 4:00pm. Rooms need big-time updating. Our room was the size of a large walk-in closet. It took 10-15 minutes for the water to get hot because the water heater is "in the basement". Beds are too hard. Walls are too thin. The were no working phones in our room, no cell phone reception either. Complimentary breakfast was good but you get no choice in what you get. It's a luck-of-the-draw every morning. Way too expensive for the quality of room & service received. For the same price we could have stayed in newest casino rooms or a suite somewhere else with hot tub, a pool, 24 hour staff, and updated rooms with all amenities. Then, just drive to the beach where there would most likely be a shorter walk from the parking spot than from the duneland beach inn. On our way out the door we tried to check-out and express our discontent but alas, there was not a soul to be found. I threw the keys and copy of the receipt on the counter and we just left.

It seems there are extremely differentiating opinions on this joint so try it for yourself and you may have an awesome experience but we most-certainly did not. If you do try it, DO NOT get the "woodland view" or whatever it is called. My wife and I tried to get a room comped at the Casino so we didn't have to go back that night...but unfortunately we did.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spinner_head

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Midwest
Reviewed 22 January 2010

This Inn is so romantic!! It is in a wooded area only a block from a beautiful, private Lake Michigan beach. The rooms were clean and comfortable, with every modern convenience. We especially enjoyed the fireside dining at their restaurant. Service and food were superb. We will be back for sure. I'm going to recommend it to my Company for our next management retreat, too.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Lebanon IL
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We have stayed at many bed and breakfasts, this one by far I was not impressed. Room very small, needed to be updated. Bathroom god help me. Shower was tiny, the water pelleted me directly in the face. One outlet to plug my dryer and straightener in which was NOT by a mirror. Just very upset with the whole stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank afwardogwife
Georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2009

My husband and I stayed one night here on a 15-year anniversary trip. This was our very first stay at a B&B, so we weren't sure what to expect. When we first arrived at 2, the doors were locked with a sign that said they opened at 4. When we came back, the front doors were still locked (and noone answered), but we went around to the side to the restaurant door and it was open/unlocked. It looked like they were doing some renovation inside the front door where we would have normally checked in.

Since they were not full (only 2 other rooms were reserved for that night), the girl at the desk graciously agreed to our request that we maybe be upgraded to a bigger/nicer room for our anniversary (and our first stay at a B&B). We originally had booked Tally-ho, but they gave us Captain's Quarters - a large room with a jacuzzi at the end of the hall away from the stairs - very private. The accomodations were very nice/comfortable/quiet. Movies were available for checking out, and while we had to request that a DVD/VHS player be brought to our room, it was an amenity we took advantage of.

The info book in the room had not been updated in quite some time (old owner info, old menu, etc...) but bikes were mentioned, so we went downstairs to ask about checking them out. The bikes were old and rather worn out, but it was a nice perk and we rode around the neighborhood and along the road next the beach - very nice views and very pretty homes. You could even see Chicago across Lake Michigan, and the beach was not crowded at all.

We ate in the restaurant for supper, and while the meal was more expensive than we would have liked, the food was delicious and the service was wonderful. It was a pleasant evening so we ate outside on the patio - very nice option. It was a weeknight but the restaurant was very busy - obviously a popular local place. Breakfast the next morning was also nice, but very standard fare. We saw only the chef that morning - no other guests/employees. Just as an FYI, breakfast was not served until 9:30 (10:30 on our body clocks on EST!!), so if you're an early eater or need to hit the road early, be forewarned. Also, the dining room was FREEZING that morning, so we ate on the patio again!

Overall I would say that it was a very nice B&B - we weren't the least bit disappointed. I expected, though, that we would have some sort of interaction with the owner/operators (or other guests) of the inn. We saw a lady and then later a man that we ASSUMED were the owners, but they certainly never introduced themselves or welcomed us - actually, no one ever did that. But we didn't go on our anniversary trip to be social/interact with lots of other people, so for our personalities/purpose, it suited us just fine. Overall, a nice place that we would recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed 15 August 2009

The Hotel is located in a very nice neighbourhood with big houses and very close to a private beach that is accessible to all hotel guests. Rooms need a bit better maintenance as doorlocks and lights were not working for the room initially provided. Furthermore, i would suggest using better curtains as they dont really take away the outside light as the neighbours view on the insides of your hotel room. Cleaning could use a finishing touch since i found the remains of somesone's bikini line in the shower. Service was very good since staff reacted prompty on our questions and had the first room immediately changed by a bigger and better room without additional fees. Later on staff was also very prompt in improving the room temprature which was initallly very cold as the temperature is done centrally. The Inn has also a great restaurant which servers very nice dishes and great wines not to forget the great and included breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Despite the beautiful location and building, our stay was surprisingly dissapointing. Our dissapointments ranged from the very minimal interaction with our unknown hostess to the oddities of the room (like a broken lamp, screws half sticking out of the walls, a collection of VHS tapes but a DVD player in the room...)
When we arrived there were repairs underway and the place in general seemed to be in between upgrades. We were hastily greeted on arrival and shown our room. Felt like intruders interupting. Our first morning, a crew were at work above and outside our room before 9 AM...I'm talking right outside our door even though the place was otherwise unoccupied - we could have easily been given a room away from the construction. Overall, the heating repair men who were working there were the nicest to us, apologizing for the inconvenience when no one at the inn did, not once!
On the up side, the first moring the Chef treated us to an amazing and delicious breakfast, waiting on us with coffee and juice. He let us know that this was his second day on the job and we were very excited for him. We were treated to a citrus 'wake up' course before our main plate of french toast, potatoes and local bacon. However, the next day the vibe had changed and while the food was still good, there was no opening course, our coffee and juice were self serve and our plates of scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon were dropped off and he left for more pressing conversations on remodelling the kitchen.... Overall, we were made to feel rather unwelcome.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Duneland Beach Inn? Share your experiences!