“Mixed review”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Maxines - CLOSED

Maxines
Cuisines: American, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ventura, CA
“Mixed review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Some things were very good - the gnocchi poutine, escargot, crab cakes, prime rib, mussels and the very best Tiramisu we've ever had. Some things were lacking - the service started out very strong for our group of 15 and then our waiter seemed to fall apart and couldn't remember who wanted what, didn't bring bread for everyone, how many people wanted coffee, failed to refill water glasses. Some things on the plates were not warm enough, the crab on the Tournedoes Oscar was barely visible. Overall, the decor was lovely, the menu diverse, the food was good, but serving our large group was not done well.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Amyandco

Chicago, Illinois
“July 4th Eve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We've always enjoyed the meals here but unfortunately the service leaves much to be desired.

We were pressured to order because "the kitchen is closing" and then I had to ask the server if our salads were going to come before our entrees.

Our my salmon was fine but the vegetables were barely warm.

Peoria, Il.
“Enjoyable Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our service was great. The interior of this cozy restaurant provides a pleasant atmosphere - reminiscent of dining in Europe. The live piano music added to the ambience. We visited here at 6:30 on a Sat eve without reservations. It wasn't crowded and there was no wait. As the evening passed the tables filled. I ordered the vegetable polenta platter upon a recommendation from former guests and loved it. It is a wonderful blend of favors with fresh sautéed veggies (zucchini and red pepper) along with a black bean patty with a marinara sauce and two polenta patties with fresh mushrooms. It was filling and I couldn't finish it. Hubby is a beef lover and had a rib eye that he reported as "so-so" for the price of $26. Next time I'll try the crab cakes that were recommended also. Have heard their desserts are good but we were having that later at our lake house.

• Visited June 2014
“Enjoyable Dinner Prior to a Great Sunset”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We had always wanted to try this restaurant when traveling through Michigan City. The decor is welcoming and warm. We had a great server, Diane and met the wonderful and personable owner. I had the skate, which is in the stingray family. Prepared well and it was quite tasty. The salad and bread were very good and the appetizer scallops were very nice. My partner raved about her lasagna. We were very pleased and will be back.

2 Thank EAY1976
Indiana
“Has potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Some friends had drinks, dinner together here. The interior is much larger than I expected. Decor is tasteful. Waiter was attentive but lacked confidence and ability to fully answer questions about the menu. When ordering drinks, we used the drink menu but after ordering were told it wasn't in stock. When we asked waiter what his favorite thing/recommendation on the menu was, he named something that is no longer on the menu.
We had hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and entrees. All fine, but I impressive. I had the vincigrasi (lasagna), which was mediocre.
In May they are highlighting Hoosier-crafted beers. I tried the flight of 6, which was an impressive sampler.
Overall, this restaurant had potential, but I wouldn't rush back.

1 Thank IndianaOnTheGo