“Very nice! Way better than Yogi Bear....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Michigan City
Michigan City Campground
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I'd stay here again in a second. We made the mistake of staying at Yogi Bear in that area once, that place is a dump. This place was clean and well run. Very nice pool and friendly staff. We will certainly stay here again. Nice and quiet and got a great night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissMyDog

Reviewed 11 April 2014

No great resort, especially at this time of year but the welcome was genuine, the local paper free and the campsite familiar. The Wi-Fi works and the men's hand drier works after you press it a few times. In other words it's like coming home. The traffic control gate is new.

Room Tip: Don't camp near the farm next door for reasons of odor. Before the leaves come out you'll he...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Garth M
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We did group camp here & enjoyed our stay. The buildings and landscaping were very well kept. The kids loved the pool and playground and both were incredibly clean. I thought the bathrooms were kept clean as well. And while small, we never had any issues or even saw anyone else in them.

The group tenting area is towards the front with a nice view of the pond and a short walk to the bathrooms. The prices was reasonable for the group as well.

Compared to the other group sites we have stayed at, I would rate this one high. We enjoyed ourselves at a nice campground and would return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tinker326
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I can't say much if you plan to stay in a cabin or are using a travel trailer. This place really seems like for tent campers they were just thrown in as an after thought. Tent campers are stuck up on a hill, with really no level ground to set up on. We felt like we would roll out of the tent no matter which way we put it. It's also expensive to tent camp for the crappy site you get. It's $31 + tax and your told to just drive up around the building and pick out a spot. The only thing they offer you is a crappy beat up picnic table (and all the ones we saw in the tent area are crappy, the travel trailer areas we're much nicer) and then you get a tiny fire ring, no grill top.

There is a pool, and I think a playground, we didn't use either. The woman's bathroom has 3 very small stalls and 3 very small shower stalls, only 1 of which had a shower head. For the amount of cabins and travel trailers in this place, this is no where near enough at all. I will give them the fact they were clean, but the hand dryer doesn't really work all that well once you can get it to stay on. If your tent camping prepare to walk up and down a very steep hill and a great distance to even get to the bathroom, this was a whole lot of fun late at night, not. I would suggest to the owners to at least put in a port-a-potty for the tent campers.

There is a farm right next door to the tent camping area, the farm has a very obnoxious rooster, which squacks the entire time the sun is up and starts all over again about 4 a.m., if he's not enough to wake you then the dogs chasing the horses around over there sure will be which doesn't happen to much later into the morning. You can also hear the train whistles all night long.

The tent hill is also right above the dog park area, which of course starts perking up about 6 am. There is a lot of car/ golf cart traffic up the tent hill during the day, and there really is no seclusion, and it's pretty wide open up there, enough to be annoying.

The staff was pleasant to deal with, so I guess that was really the nicest thing I can say about the place.

In my opinion, it's was a place to set up the tent for the night, that was way overpriced, especially when a man with a travel trailer came in behind me and only paid $10 more for a site with all the amenities. We will not be going back, it wasn't worth the money or aggravation.

Room Tip: I would say this place is good for families, not a single couple ( too many unattended kids running...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gizzy70
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Close enough to I-94 to be convenient, distant enough to be quiet with I-90/80 equidistant to the south. If tenting you would hear the railway track 2-miles distant. At the off-season times I've visited I've never needed a reservation. Counter service is relaxed, be prepared to ring the bell and wait. Most sites are not paved but they are well-graveled and level. There's a pool that has never been open when I've visited, a playground, fishing ponds, and rental cabins--two new ones in fact. The hand-dryer in the men's has never worked on the first push but it will on the third try. Internet Wi-Fi works but it isn't ultra high-speed. The place is quiet and clean with a family atmosphere. Sadie the dog will come down and welcome you when you sign in. Take time to visit Mount Baldy and the Indiana Shoreline. Groceries just north of the highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a spot away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Garth M
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We camped Saturday night at a tent site at MCCG and enjoyed ourselves. We had two elementary aged children and even though we didn't have time to enjoy the playground and pool since we wore everyone out at Indiana Dunes State Park, they looked great.
I only have a couple minor criticisms:
1. I did wish the tent sites were closer to the bathrooms.
2. Only some of the tent sites have water.
3. Not a necessity because we had our camp stove, but a grate over the firepit would have been excellent!
We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NickiSt
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The campground facilites were clean. There was a fishing pond and I talked to a gentleman who had caught several fish. However the "sites" in the portion of the campground we saw were tiny. The one we were originally assigned didn't even have room for us to park our suburban in the site with the trailer! This was only an overnight stop for us so it didn't matter but if you plan to stay for a while you will want to. Make sure to get a big site( if they exist)!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Mmu_1
cfred1213, Manager at Michigan City Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

I'm sorry you got a small site. We do have sites that will accommodate the largest RV's on the road.