“Dusty & cobwebs” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Oldsmar, Florida
“Dusty & cobwebs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This place needs a good cleaning. An inch of dust under the beds, on top of the TV (Old tube type) and cobwebs hanging from the pictures from the walls. Eeww... Only soap and some small towels provided.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BWRW-FL

Business
Gurnee, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! You are better off sleeping in your car. This place has gone from bad to worse. Luckily, we asked to see the room before we gave them any money. We checked it out last summer only to find the room looked like a prison cell and decided to stay elsewhere. This summer, finding ourselves looking for a place to stay last minute, we again looked into staying there. The owner showed us the room and after going about 3 feet inside the room, I turned around because the odor was horrible. As we drove out, things got even worse. Along one section of the u-shaped motel were several people sitting outside. There was garbage, clothing, shoes, bags, chairs and what-not strewn about outside the approximately 8 room section of the hotel. It honestly looked like homeless people had set up camp there. Disgusting!!! I can't believe they haven't been shut down.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank diane7272

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Traveling through, we "thought" this would be ok for a night, WRONG!! Absolutely the most ghetto motel! Almost like going back to the 70's but even the 70's had nicer room decor than these rooms do. Rooms smell like a combination of curry and musk. Very low lighting in the rooms, TV's with convertor boxes don't come in. Window AC units put out less air then I can blow through a straw. Shower stalls were moldy and toilets were stained. Finally came to our senses and checked out within 30 minutes of checking in. Management wouldn't agree to any sort of deal making with us in regards to coming up with some sort of discount even though we didn't stay and didn't occupy the room for any amount of time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DetPT
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Special Note: Don't leave anything here by accident, or you will have to come all the way back there to get it. Details below.

Take a trip down memory lane back to 1975 with wooden paneling, very low light, musty odors, shower stall bathrooms, low ceilings, older TVs (with converter boxes) and scary cheap polyester bedcovering at the Golden Sands Motel. We only stayed here because we planned a 1-day trip last minute and all of the nice hotels in the area were fully booked. I was pulling the drawers open with my foot praying not to find any surprise bugs. Luckily I didn't, but you never know what may come out at night when you're sleeping.

It was cheap, no frills, a bit of the chills place to stay. The worst part is I left my new swimsuit in the room and didn't realize it until we were back in Chicago. We called and offered them to charge our credit card on file $10 to mail it back, the owner said "We do not mail back everything people leave here, sorry. You can come get it, we'll keep it for a week, then throw it out." I have friends in Michigan City that offered to try and pick it up, we called to authorize it, the owner once again absolutely refused to return my swimsuit unless we were personally there to show ID and claim it. Who else, besides us and the housekeeper, would have known we stayed there and had left a swimsuit there anyway?? It was as if he wanted to keep it and was completely unreasonable about returning it. So we had to drive all the way back to Michigan City on one of our days off to claim it, which the owner made us sign an entire declaration form, but didn't even keep the item secure in the office, was just lying on top of a bag of stuff somewhere. I could see this policy if a passport, credit card, or something more important was left in the room, but a swimsuit? Really??

I'm writing a letter to the Better Business Bureau about how unreasonable this owner was in trying to work with us to return the item. Yes it's just a swimsuit, and if it wasn't brand new and didn't cost me $100+ I would have just left it. Anyways, beware, don't leave stuff behind!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RachelHoo
Roachdale, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband and I booked this motel hoping it would be ok just for the night but we were wrong! The first thing we saw when we drove into the parking lot was a car that had been broken into and another car being processed. Not only that a few of the doors looked like they had been repeatedly attempted to be kicked in. Lastly, when we went to the reception desk we had to press a buzzer for the owner to unlock the door so you could enter. Neither my husband or I felt safe. We went in to see if we could get our reservation canceled and when I returned to the car I realized i had left my sunglasses at the reception. My husband when back to retrieve them but the man at the counter said he never saw them, he defiantly stole them from the counter before my husband was able to go back and get them. Needless to say we would have rather camped and drove a few miles to a legitimate hotel. Dont say here RUN AWAY!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Golden Sands Motel? Share your experiences!