“Changes happen - new review”

Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Reviewed this hotel and casino before and raved about the $10 gifts you could purchase. Not so anymore. Policy changed not many choices. Some remnants left, pashminas still available for $10. Casino not as crowded and sometimes smoked filled. Hotel has so many price points you never know if you are getting the best deal. If you are one of their frequent gamblers might get decent price. If infrequent guest, don't be surprised to find great discrepancies in costs. I think this hotel attracts people from Illinois since this is a smoking casino and hotel allowing some smoke rooms. Just hope if you book a non smoking room its available.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room totally situated away from any rooms next to, over or under yours.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had a problem originally, b/c I was charged twice and upfront. This wasn't really the hotels fault, as booking.com did not make it clear that this hotel would bill upfront (most hotels don't bill until after you check out!) I was rather upset. I emailed the manager, Kate and she offered me a discount/upgrade b/c I was double charged (which was the hotels fault).

We stayed in the spa tower and it was gorgeous, clean, spacious and modern. The staff at the front desk, the bellman, and a random housekeeper I asked directions to were all very friendly. I have to say that i was quite happy I got upgraded, b/c I walked over to the blue chip tower to check out the pool and it looked old and smelled bad. I would DEFINITELY recommend staying in the spa tower (it isn't that much more money when i looked at it again). When we go back we will definitely stay in the spa tower again b/c it was really nice (especially the bathroom with the marble tiled wall!) Thank you Kate for taking the time and effort to help me out to help me resolve my problem and making me fall in love with your hotel!

I will add that there is not much to do in michigan city, BUT if you take a 10 minute drive up to New Buffalo, Michigan, theres a really cool beach town with nice restaurants and shops and a great winery that does tastings. Also check out the indiana sand dunes for some awesome hiking!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mel131
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at Blue Chip for a conference and received the "special" room rate, which on Thursday was $50 more than what other guests were paying. We arrived late on Thursday and were told that there were no non-smoking rooms available even though we had booked just that over 2 months ago. I complained and was asked to wait while the clerk saw if "there is something we can do for you". The clerk came back and somehow a non-smoking room magically appeared. We took all of our bags to the room and opened the door to find the dirtiest, most ghetto room I have ever seen. The pictures had been ripped off the walls leaving big holes, but that was the least of the room's issues as it was just plain filthy. I immediately went to the front desk to complain about it and was told that nothing could be done as the hotel was full that weekend so I was offered free breakfast. I told the manager that I didn't want breakfast, I wanted a clean room. He hem-hawed around for a few minutes and then told me he could get me a room in the newer tower but that it would be a smoking room. I agreed because I'd rather smell
smoke than sleep in filth. We moved all of our
bags to the other room and found if to be in the same condition. It was like it hadn't even been cleaned after the last guest. There were ashes on the coffee table and coffee had been spilled on it. We stayed in the room because it being midnight at this point we had no option. The room wasn't cleaned the entire weekend we were there and every interaction we had with staff left us with the impression that we they didn't want us there at all. I will NOT be making a return visit to this dump.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank jbm32
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I apologize that your stay was not in keeping with our usual high service standards. We take pride in having clean rooms, so it concerns us to hear that both rooms did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to make each guests stay a delightful one. We would truly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally so that this incident can be further investigated. If you would be so kind as to contact our Hotel Director.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Not impressed with this place at all! Felt as if I was in a third world country with NO HOT WATER! The restaurants were nothing special. Casino employees not very friendly except for a few dealers and security at the entrance. Never again. I wil;l drive 20 miles to the east and stay at Four Winds in New Buffalo!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize that your experience was not in keeping with our usual high standards. We do have hot water in all of our hotel rooms and was surprised to read your review. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally if you would contact our Hotel Director.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The first impression you get is the well lit, ample parking garage adjacent to the Casino. The valet parking is also convienient if you choose. The casino and restaurant areas are very clean and well ventilated. The food in most areas was great. The Buffet was decent, but, not as good as the rest of the Boyd properties we have visited. Gambling is reasonably fair for the location. A good selection of Table games, Slots and video Poker is available. The accomodations were clean and comfortable. The original "Blue Chip Tower" and the newer "Spa Blue Tower" are easy to access. Both towers are well kept and security is very good. We have never had a bad room in this location. Personnel throughout the facility were helpful, well trained and sincere.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor Spa Blue Tower room facing the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Very clean room. Bathroom was beautiful. Very comfy bed. Excellent view from our room. It was our first time and we walk the whole thing in an hour. Nothing exciting going on, no many things to do, casino does not have many play tables.

Room Tip: Do not go in weekdays, even though is ot crowded there is anything else to do.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveleroIndiana
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at The Bluechip on a Monday night. My room in the spa tower was beautiful and clean with views overlooking Lake Michigan. The staff was friendly, the drinks weren't overpriced and the casino wasn't terribly smoky. I would recommend this hotel to my friends. Although we didn't experience the nightlife because it was a Monday, it was still a very fun experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 16 in Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo

Been to Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!