“In Need of an Update”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Battle Creek, Michigan
“In Need of an Update”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Have stayed here more than several times in the past 6 years....it has always been my favorite non-Las Vegas gambling hotel....that is until this last visit. Upon arrival I was greeted by a friendly customer service representative who informed me that I had been upgraded to a suite in the Spa Blu Tower...hurray!! Well, upon entering the suite I noticed so many items that needed attention. The bedding is pathetic... Thread-bare sheets that actually had holes in them, bed coils that squeaked with every move and a mattress so uncomfortable it actually woke me up for the day at 5:00 am (no sleeping in for me). Other items that need attention are the formerly-luxurious bathroom linens that are now a shabby shade of yellow. Also, dust and dirt could be seen almost everywhere I looked ie...all furniture, bathroom mirror, shower corners, beneath and around refrigerator. The straw that broke the camel's back was a vile stain on the wall behind the toilet that resembled either blood or vomit splatter...gross. I couldn't stand looking at it so I removed it myself...eew! I just get the feeling that the housekeeping staff doesn't take pride in their work as they had in the past. It's really too bad. If this is my experience with an upgraded suite, I'd hate to have to experience the old tower. It would be in the best interest of management to conduct some much needed upgrades to this formerly luxurious establishment. I want to be able to say this is my go-to resort...but can't say that right now. Lastly, what happened to the toiletries? I noticed that the soaps can be purchased in the gift shop, but what is provided in the room is nothing like what was given previously. Very disappointing! Finally, what is going on with the HVAC system in the room. It sounds like a semi truck sharing the room!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank juliecS4785XM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

So we got last there at 2:30pm hoping to check in early we didn't get a "smoke free" room till 4:30- older tower room 622. But they were quick to let people know a better room (new tower) was available for an upgrade fee. We felt they are very understaffed with the hotel cleaning crew. We couldn't go and gamble since we had a toddler with us. As soon as we got our room we all felt sick (dizzy, sneezing) called the front desk asking if this was a smoke free room. I find out our room was below the smoking floor 7. We got upgraded (no charge) to the new tower room 358 (smoke free) it was a breath of fresh air. Very nice room. Thank you to the supervisor Alex.

Workout room; might be better off paying the extra $8.00 for the gym in the new tower

Pool; is located in the old tower, Decent size, 2 hot tubs, I did see staff testing the waters and adding chemicals.

Food; Options Buffet is gross, nothing looked or tasted good there.
The Grill way better food! Grilled Ham & cheese sandwich -yummy!

Casino; never went in.

We will never stay there again, I never felt so sick from being in that "smoke free" room in the old tower.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Angelique P
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Blue Chip Casino Hotel and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience. Our original Blue Chip Tower does tend to book up rather quickly. We try our hardest to accomodate all guests who arrive early to check in but sometimes guest may have to wait until check in time due to the amount of early arrivals. However, I am happy to hear that the hotel was able to upgrade you, at no additional cost, to the Spa Blu Tower. I apologize that you were not feeling well during your visit and hope that you will give us another shot. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Travellers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Nice place, clean casino but smelly. (cigarette smoking is allowed) The band they had playing was good, kept the crowd excited and dancing away. Went to have my birthday buffet ($5 coupon birthday reward towards any buffet!) plus a birthday button so all the employee's wished me a Happy Birthday, made it special for me! The room was nice and clean BUT the only downfall is that the walls are very thin! Was woken up by lots of moaning @ 3 a.m. I couldn't wait for the air conditioning to kick on! This lasted about 1 hour but was able to fall back to sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for the lakeside or channel side to get a nice view of anything other than the parking lot
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marciela6358
South Holland, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Try to do a short get away , do a little shopping , spa trip.. Went to check in an was told the room wasn't ready. The staff act this was normal .. When you are told that check-in is at 3pm. An told to come back until 6pm.. That's just not acceptable.. You have people that have been driving for hours to get here by 3pm & now they need to wait another 3 hours.. That's crazy!!! If you are planning a trip here.. Don't come!!! Never again!!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Lsmith214
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to Blue Chip Casino Hotel and Spa. We appreciate any and all feedback we receive regarding visits to our property and apologize that your hotel room was not ready for you when you came to check in. Your concerns have been forwarded to our Housekeeping Manager so that we can have a better understanding of why the rooms were not ready. We assure you this is not normal practice at our hotel.
Taylor
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Came from Michigan and stayed 8/3. Second time at the casino but first time at the hotel. I rate the casino at 3 due to the staff and buffet. The hotel stay was so so the first night minus cigarrette holes on the floor, dirty coffee machine and a very dusty room but the worse experience came from just trying to get sugar for my coffee and an attendant for our luggage to leave. Neither came in the hour we waited. Took all 9 bags down by myself. Another guest gave me some sugar. Had another room booked for the 19th. Canceled that and will never go again. I saw signs for another casino while in Michigan City. I'd rather give them a go than go back to Blue Chip. Make sure they give you your rewards for signing up as a new player. I didn't get mine until a manager assisted. I just wanted to enjoy and it was pretty difficult. Maybe if I didn't stay in the hotel I'd have a better review. Plus those "luxury" rooms are not if there's cigarette holes on the carpet and tiny. The new Microtel rooms are way better and less than 10 mins away. I stayed in a suite there my first time to MI City.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Blue Chip Casino Hotel and Spa. We appreciate any and all feedback we receive regarding guests' visits to our property. We apologize that your stay was not in keeping with our usual high standards of service and cleanliness. Your comments have been forwarded to the Hotel Director to address the issues you mentioned about condiments for coffee and baggage handling.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Wanted adjoining rooms and was told the sooner we checked in the better our chance for adjoining rooms. My confirmation said check-in at 3:00 and we were at the desk by 3:15. Was told the rooms weren't ready and it would be a 45 min. wait. Sat in the waiting room because we had packages we did not want to part with. Checked at 4:00 room still not ready. Checked at 4:15, still not ready. Checked at 4:30 and one room was ready. One member in our party mentioned they felt we should be compensated for our troubles. The best they would do would for the 4 of us was two vouchers for the buffet and the delivery of the keys for the second room when it was ready. We took all of our luggage to the room that was ready and called about the other room. It still wasn't ready and was told they would have to think about delivering the keys. We decided to leave and go eat. Returned at 7:00 - room STILL not ready. Girl left and came back with two vouchers. As we were talking she received a call that she could give us the keys to the room. Not sure it had been vacuumed because there was pieces of paper laying on the floor. The rooms were beautiful and loved the bathrooms, but was very frustrated with the situation. Talked to someone in the office about it the next day and was told check-in is anytime between 3:00 & 6.00. Maybe they should mention that in advance. Just saying.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Carol M
Thank you for your recent visit to Blue Chip Casino Hotel and Spa and for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that your room was not ready upon arrival to the hotel. Your comments have been forwarded to the Hotel Leadership team and steps have been put in place to ensure this does not happen again.
Cedar Park, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is a review for the hotel. I rated the casino separately under attractions.

We stayed in the spa tower because it is supposed to be "nicer." The room was clean and adequate, not spectacular but decent. A highlight was the shower which was large and had a large showerhead, hard to describe but it was enjoyable to take a nice long shower. If they really wanted to improve the lodging they could put in premium bedding, fluffier towels, better toiletries, etc.

The buffet was just okay, not really worth the visit. However the deli was excellent. I had a hamburger which tasted char-broiled and excellent. Later I had a Rueben sandwich which was also great.

The pool is in the non-spa tower and is pretty lame. Just a square pool. There are two hot tubs which makes up for the pool.

Room Tip: The spa tower is a better choice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Blue Chip Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!