“Clean room, Good Breakfast, No problems”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Rockford, Michigan
“Clean room, Good Breakfast, No problems”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Check in agent was fine and even though I was there with about 50 teenage volley-ballers the stay was quiet and comfortable.

The clientele on my particular night was strange like mullets, bibs, and 40 adults that shouldn't be wearing "that" bathing suit packed into a pretty small pool. I'm thinking it was just spring break travel moving through.

But the hotel is conveniently located next to 94, restaurants, Walmart, and the breakfast was really good, well attended to,etc.

Can't imagine a better value in the area. Good stay, good value, good stay.

Room Tip: You'll be fine - good option for Michigan City.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Michigan
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Paid a decent rate (around $95) for a 1-night stay on our way to Chicago for a quick getaway. Desk staff were very friendly. The guy on duty when we arrived around 10pm remembered our phone conversation from a couple hours before...I was impressed. We requested and got a roll-away, was told $10 fee (very reasonable), but not charged for it on the final bill.

Breakfast was decent. Not great, not terrible. Selection was decent. A little fresh fruit (apples, oranges) and an apparently frozen mixture in a large bowl. Hard-boiled eggs, which makes me happy as a healthy choice. Make-your-own waffle machine and other typical trimmings - individual boxed Kellogg's cereals, inexpensive bakery stuff (small muffins and english muffins). Sausage patties and round scrambled egg patties as well. Juice, milk. Decent quality overall.

Room was good. Included a quite tall mini fridge and microwave. Decent size room, beds reasonably comfortable.

We received a small 'care package' at check-in with a bottle of water, small bag of chips, and a couple small packages of other snacks. Nice touch.

The hotel is in decent shape. Does not look nearly new or recently renovated, but not run-down either.

Did not use the pool.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 13 February 2012

ARRIVAL: Snow had been plowed and all walking surfaces had been salted. Lobby is small, quiet and clean. I asked them if they could change my 2-Queens to a 1-King room. They would only do it if I paid an extra $30.00 No big deal, I declined to pay extra. Check-In was fast and easy.

ROOM: Room was clean and smelled fresh. Overall 'visual' gives the impression the room is a bit outdated. The desk chair in the room was horribly inadequate for the height of the desk. Old tube TV had terrible reception. High-Speed Internet worked fine (but be aware - if you request a CAT5 connection cord from the front desk, it is only 1-foot long! You have to sit at the desk with the desk lamp right next to your computer in order for the short cord to work. Solution: Bring your own CAT5 cord). Refrigerator, phone, alarm clock and all lighting worked well.

BATHROOM: Excellent! Big, wide, roomy and very clean. Plenty of nice towels. Shower, toilet and sink all worked wonderfully.

FREE BREAKFAST: The complimentary breakfast does not begin until 7am. For people simply stopping to sleep before getting up to drive on (like myself)...it would have been nice to get a bite to eat before leaving.

CHECKOUT: Fast and easy.

OVERALL: It's just sort of 'there'. Nothing really bad about this hotel, but nothing really stands out as being excellent about it either. Would I stay at this hotel again? No. Would I recommend this hotel to others? Yes, as long as they are aware it's just a 'meets-your-basic-needs' hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 12 February 2012

As with most Country Inn and Suites, the facility is clean and well kept. The desk employees are very friendly, and the clerk that took care of us went out of her way to help. I appreciate employees taking that extra step. The room was typical of these hotels; a bit of a country feel but could use some updating. The television was a smaller, old model (how many hotels DON'T have flat screens today?). The furniture was a bit tired, but not bad. The only issue we had with the room was that the toilet tissue was almost out, and I didn't feel like running to the front desk for another roll. There should always be an extra roll available in the room, but we couldn't find any.
The major disappointment for me was the breakfast. I like to start my day with a hot meal and this was anything but that. The eggs, biscuits, gravy and sausages were all cold. I don't mean room temperature, I mean cold to the touch. I've never experienced a hotel breakfast like that before and certainly hope I don't again. Unfortunately there was no microwave available (except in our room) so we couldn't heat it up. The 'fresh' fruit looked great but was all frozen; peach slices, canteloupe, one grape and something else. My wife and I settled for one of the standard waffles that are available in the majority of these types of hotels now. Most of my breakfast went into the trash.
Would I stay here again? Possibly, but there are other options nearby as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor so you don't hear footsteps above you.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Forest Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed here with my children and mother in law, and we had a great stay. We only stayed one night but had excellent service and a good stay overall. I love the beds, I slept like a rock because they were so comfortable. Everything was clean. Breakfast was satisfying to all. The borrow a book thing is great, my daughter really enjoyed that! Staff were friendly. Bathrooms are big and have great lighting. Love the fridge in the rooms. Nothing but good things to say about this place! :)
We come to the area often and will always choose Country Inn

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicole H
Indiana
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We visit Michigan City, Indiana several times a year to go to the Casino and also to shop at the Lighthouse Premium Outlet Mall. Earlier this month, my husband, niece, grandniece and my niece-in-law all stayed at the Country Inn. We booked two rooms. The rooms were very nice and spacious with a fridge and a microwave. The rooms and the bathrooms were clean and well-appointed. Fresh baked cookies were available at the front desk for our snacking pleasure when we got back to the hotel late at night. The included breakfast was much more than a standard free breakfast with sausage, egg patties, waffles, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit and fruit salad, cereals, pastries, etc. We are breakfast eaters and this satisfied all of us. The rates were in line with the lesser hotels in the area. The only negative was that I think the carpet in the rooms may need to be deep-cleaned or replaced. We will continue to stay at the Country Inn and Suites while in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
countryinn1, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff here at Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Owensboro, KY
Reviewed 30 October 2011

This was a very quiet hotel, small indoor pool, and exercise room. They served complimentary breakfast everyday but I never visited it. Close to shopping and casino. The staff allowed us to check in early, because we were traveling much of the night, and ask for early check in. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo